Farewell, Captain Harry
mikie
Posted 1/6/2008 2:46 PM (#292356)
Subject: Farewell, Captain Harry

I know, I was supposed to be fishing today; maybe things happen for a reason. I got a call from Kathy Bales this afternoon; her husband, our Captain Harry, has died of lung cancer. He was 53.

I met Harry at Tony Grant's lodge at Cave Run during a fall outing in 2006. He had been reading my posted messages on MuskieFirst and wanted to meet me, I invited him to fish with me for the next two days and we became friends very fast. He rode me hard about - well, about hardly catching fish at Cave Run and got this one in front of me just to make his point! - and about keeping my costly muskie baits in a plastic bucket around the seat post.

Harry had invented a wonderful bait holding box for the boat seat post, and got to making an equally inventive carry box for big baits, made them in his home in his spare time. His fishing time was spent at Cave Run and Lake ST. Clair. He'd fished muskies for more than 20 years.

Services are Tuesday at Hodapp Funeral Home, 6041 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, Ohio; visitation 4-7 with a memorial at 7.

Harry, it was one of the pleasures of my life to know you, to fish with you. Fair winds and following seas, my brother, you'll be fishing better waters now. m

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(scan0005.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(scan0004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scan0005.jpg (40KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments scan0004.jpg (82KB - 135 downloads)
Posted 1/6/2008 4:15 PM (#292373 - in reply to #292356)
Subject: RE: Farewell, Captain Harry

Sorry to hear this Mikie...

I got to meet and hang out with Capt. Harry or as I called him "Weiner Dawg" several times last year at a few of the musky shows.

He was a great guy and told some of the funniest stories I have ever heard.

You will be greatly missed Weiner Dawg....

MIKE HULBERT
willeysbucktails
Posted 1/6/2008 5:25 PM (#292390 - in reply to #292356)

I will miss you Harry................
woodieb8
Posted 1/6/2008 5:31 PM (#292391 - in reply to #292356)
Subject: Re: Farewell, Captain Harry

harry was a member of the m.c.i in canada. he will be missed greatly. on the annual trips here to st clair it was a pleasure to enjoy his company. tight lines harry, im sure theres a great place reserved for you. may they all be 50lbers.
george woodie baits
Marc_Grattan
Posted 1/6/2008 6:04 PM (#292399 - in reply to #292356)

Harry was a good member of the KY Chapter of MI. He will be missed by many of us in the Cincinnati/NKY area.
Trophymuskie
Posted 1/6/2008 6:12 PM (#292400 - in reply to #292356)

In sorry to hear he went so fast. Harry was a great guy and I'm sure he'll be missing his perch dinner as much as muskie fishing St-Clair.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 1/6/2008 7:54 PM (#292438 - in reply to #292356)

Sad to hear because Captain Harry was a great guy who will be missed by many!

Steve
mikie
Posted 1/7/2008 6:56 AM (#292484 - in reply to #292356)

here's his obit:

http://dunes.cincinnati.com/classifieds/obits/obitDisplay.aspx?d=1/...

Thanks for all the kind words, I'll make sure Kathy sees this. m
Pat Kemper
Posted 1/7/2008 7:27 AM (#292486 - in reply to #292356)

I grew up next door to Harry's wife Kathy. I wasn't until a few years ago I found out she and Harry were into fishing, much less muskie fishing. I have been muskie fishing for about 15 years now.
When I found out about thier love for muskies, they had told me to call them whenever and they would take me out to catch a big muskie. Huh, like I couldn't do it myself?
I put calling them because I was always too busy with my own kids. Now, God Bless Harry, I will never be able to experience catching a big one with Harry and Kathy.
Live you life's dreams today because you might not have tomorrow!
God Bless both Harry and Kathy! I will be praying for the both of you.
Pat Kemper
Muskiefool
Posted 1/7/2008 8:10 PM (#292644 - in reply to #292356)

I was saddened to hear this news yesterday, Harry will be remembered as one of the Good Guys of Muskie fishing, I know my fishing experience has been made more enjoyable due to his hard work and vision, My Prayers to his Family.
triton1
Posted 1/10/2008 11:51 AM (#293277 - in reply to #292356)

It is with a heavy heart and through many tears that I am posting this. Harry was one of the greatest guys that I have ever had the pleasure to fish with. There was always a smile on his face and you never heard him complain about anything. I had the opportunity to fish with him a few times and to room with him last year at Chicago, it seems unreal now that he is gone.

Harry will be greatly missed. May you catch many fish and have lots of "musky tea"

Dave.
Kathy
Posted 1/15/2008 1:04 PM (#294229 - in reply to #292356)

My Captain Harry

Harry and I met and our first date was to the Kentucky Chapter Muskie Inc. banquet. I dreamed of spending the rest of my life with this very handsome gentleman.
Harry had a passion for muskie fishing and he shared that with me as his fishing partner. We dreamed of catching a bigger muskie every time we fished together.
Harry became my one true love and my Captain Harry. We dreamed of growing old together in a trailer on a muskie lake.
Harry gave me the most precious gift in allowing me to be a part of his children’s lives. I will always be there, watch over and love them for him as they follow their dreams.
Harry was blessed to be a Grandpa to Jake and Alex, two Little Captain Harry’s in training. Harry could have caught the biggest muskie in every lake and that could not compare to how much he loved and dreamed of teaching them to fish with him.
There will always be a special place in my heart for My Captain Harry and everywhere I am he will be with me.
I am thankful to have been blessed to have Harry in my life and I will carry on and follow our dreams.
I will always make that extra cast and set his trolling line.

Take the time to show your loved ones how special they are everyday and as Harry would say, Do what you like, like what you do - Life is Good.
I sincerely Thank each of you for your prayers and kind words and hope to see you on the lake. Love, Kathy
ron f
Posted 1/15/2008 4:44 PM (#294252 - in reply to #292356)

#*^@ cancer again