dog in the boat
Pooch
Posted 12/25/2007 11:35 AM (#290485)
Subject: dog in the boat

any advice? training tips? have a puppy lab and he will be a year old next musky season. would like to get him out in the boat with me, but wondering how he will be with the water. dont know if he can resist the urge to jump in, chase baits, ect...

any info would be appreciated. thanks.

muskellunged
Posted 12/25/2007 11:47 AM (#290486 - in reply to #290485)
Subject: Re: dog in the boat

I'd suggest adding a trailer hook as many strikes just "nip" at the tail.
Shawn
Posted 12/25/2007 1:08 PM (#290497 - in reply to #290485)
Subject: RE: dog in the boat

Pooch,

I have a blk lab thats 1. I just kept taking him out with me and over time he just got used to it. On the other hand i have cht lab whos 6 and can't keep her out of the water! She will chase topwater kinda funny to watch! I guess i just got lucky with the blk one. Give it time maybe short trips here and there. O yeah don't for get the treats!!! Merry Christmas!!

Shawn K.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 12/25/2007 1:25 PM (#290502 - in reply to #290497)

Best advice is to be with the dog as much as possible. My female yellow lab goes everywhere with me but in a tree hunting. She is 6 and knows all the rules of the boat and truck.

I have found that a female is easer to work with. Males are just hard headed for the most part. Teach them with praise not fear.

The only issue I had with my lab was when a fish came to the boat hooked and spashing. My lab wanted to go in and get it. Part of the problem was my kids thought it was funny to send in the dog to retreave the carp when they got close to shore while fishing at our cottage. The dog would chase them down and grab them, bring them to shore and hold them while you unhooked them. Funny but confused the dog when muskies were hooked and netted not retreaved.

I will always have a dog. Great companion. She had a blast opening up her gifts. All 10 of them she opened this morning. None of them she broke or tore up. Soft mouth and very smart. Again, spend time with your pup. They will get to know you and you will get to know them so good you can tell what they are thinking most of the time.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(dogandsanks5x3.jpg)

(39DC9fish2x1.jpg)

(goodnite2x1.jpg)

(nov24ski5x3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dogandsanks5x3.jpg (46KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments 39DC9fish2x1.jpg (43KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments goodnite2x1.jpg (39KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments nov24ski5x3.jpg (46KB - 116 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 12/25/2007 6:22 PM (#290514 - in reply to #290485)

I started taking Summer out in the boat at 6 months...set boundaries...let her know where she can and can't go, I never let Summer up on the front deck..one that is where I use to hang baits in my old Lund, she found out the hard way what hooks feel like...she knows to stay away from those shiny things now. At first I leashed her to the back until she figured out she wasn't allowed up front...now she stays in the back or loves to lay on the side w/ her head over the gunnel
Try to get your dog in the boat as much as possible...my dog is so mellow and could really care less when we hook and land big fish..maybe she's seen it a few too many times ?!?!
Dogs are great boat companions ... Good luck.

Edited by MSKY HNR 12/25/2007 6:27 PM

(summer boat 1.JPG)

(summer18 (2).jpg)

(49.5 8-31-07.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments summer boat 1.JPG (25KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments summer18 (2).jpg (257KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments 49.5 8-31-07.JPG (15KB - 153 downloads)
chico
Posted 12/25/2007 6:43 PM (#290516 - in reply to #290485)

Brad, great to see you lab out on the water but I can't say I like to see him leashed to the rail as if anything untoward happens he'll be tethered. Chances are nothing untoward would happen but would hate to see it if it did.
TECK
Posted 12/25/2007 7:50 PM (#290521 - in reply to #290485)

My dog Boo is with me most of the time to give a helping bite.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BOO.psd (182KB - 189 downloads)
jpine
Posted 12/25/2007 8:20 PM (#290524 - in reply to #290485)

My lab loves to be on the boat, however, he also likes to be in the middle of the action. The only tips I can offer is to have all baits put away in safe place. Only have one rod rigged up at a time. Do not leave the top of the lakewood or other tackle box open if there is any way it could be knocked over. Be very careful casting and last of all, don't freak out when you're reeling in that big one and your little buddy just happens to be standing all over the frabill.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 12/25/2007 8:36 PM (#290527 - in reply to #290502)

Mikes Extreme - 12/25/2007 1:25 PM

I have found that a female is easer to work with.

Teach them with praise not fear.

They will get to know you and you will get to know them so good you can tell what they are thinking most of the time.

Always listen to Professor Koepp. His lessons have many layers. I always learn something from you, Buddy.

Kevin

One more Christmas gathering left.
bn
Posted 12/26/2007 8:09 AM (#290551 - in reply to #290485)

chico, she's not a lab...she's a british golden retriever...and she was only leashed a few times when she was a hyper puppy ..now she is mellow and doesn't need to be leashed...
chico
Posted 12/26/2007 9:53 AM (#290565 - in reply to #290485)

Oops sorry, but hey labs and retrievers are very close.Pleased she isn't leashed now but felt I ought to say something, a friend of mine lost his dog last year by putting it in his car when it got fed up whilst he was bank fishing less than 25 yards away, he put her in the front seat with the window open with the leash attached to the steering wheel. The dog must have seen a rabbit or something and jumped out, my friend went back to the car and found his now dead dog hanging, not pleasant at all and only one person was at fault which he didn't need reminding off.
skinner
Posted 12/26/2007 10:50 AM (#290580 - in reply to #290514)

True that a dog shouldn't be leashed where he/she can jump out of the boat, car, truck bed, etc. However, putting the dog on a short leash attached in the middle of the boat can quickly teach it to stay in the boat. Just don't give it enough length to jump out and you're good to go. In fact, I think it's the best and most appropriate way of teaching a dog how to behave in the boat. I've worked with three myself. Latest dog will jump out of the boat on command to take a leak on shore, but will not jump out without command. Keep them on a short leash literally and figuratively and you'll wind up with a happy dog AND owner.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 12/26/2007 8:52 PM (#290641 - in reply to #290485)

just be sure they know the basic commands of sit and stay!!!!!!!!!! This will help keep them out of trouble. I had a beagle-springer mix that went often with me. It would lay on front deck with head resting on side of boat. As a follow appeared it woulf growl at them and the closer to the boat it came the louder it got> he often started to growl befor I saw the follow. When a fish hit the dog went nuts on me . I would net it and order dog to to back deck and to sit and stay. He would and I would unhook fish and release. If he only knew how to work a camera I'd been real happy.

Pfeiff
esox50
Posted 12/26/2007 11:58 PM (#290665 - in reply to #290485)

We really got lucky with our dog, Rolo (beagle/blue healer mix, possibly a little German Shepherd). She's a DREAM in the boat and we nary had to do a thing with her. She gets a bit wound up when we near the shore or a dock, but a quick "Get back" and she, well... get's back. Definitely have boundaries. I keep my baits hung on the sides of the boat and keep her away from them as much as possible. When it rains we usually drape something over the steering wheel to give her something to hide under. She doesn't get excited at all over fish we catch; she could care less actually. Most of the time she just sleeps in a corner or under the seat, to the point sometimes we forget about her. Dogs are great on the boat and when the muskies whoop your butt a good dose of dog slobber is the PERFECT remedy!!!!!

(P1000568.JPG)

(P1000591.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1000568.JPG (249KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments P1000591.JPG (221KB - 113 downloads)
woodieb8
Posted 12/27/2007 6:14 AM (#290671 - in reply to #290485)

a dog in a boat fishing should start long before hitting the waters. simple learned commands can and will save your pet, boating or just everyday life. my labs love the fishing trips. please remember to let the dog have a run first for mother nature calls, and have drinkable water on board. enjoy because dogs dont bi./.. they just want to be with ya.
Missouri Wayne
Posted 12/27/2007 8:16 AM (#290682 - in reply to #290485)

We used to take two of our beagles with us int he boat. To my surprise neither was interested in the fish we caught or the lures. We did make sure there were no lures laying around in the boat. When it got hot we would put them over the side in the water to get wet. They did not like that and could lock up and get stiff as a board when you picked them up.
They had two different techniques to ride in the boat. The older one would set on the seat between us and face backwards so the wind didn't blow in her face. The younger one would have ridden on the bow of the boat if we would have let her. Loved the wind in her face.
Miss them both very much.
kjgmh
Posted 12/27/2007 9:01 AM (#290686 - in reply to #290682)

I trained my last lab to lay on a floor matt that I kept in the back of the boat away from anything dangerous. It is really nice to have a dog there to cool me down after losing a big fish next to the boat. How can you stay POd with a big dumb lab looking at you? You also can not expect to have the dog stay calm and sit still all day. I would let him swim at the landing for awhile to tire him out a little and during the day would not make him sit in the boat for more then 2 hours. I would then pull up on a sand bar or some area to let him out to swim and do his busness.
I now have a 5 month old yellow lab and I think that I will use the same methods of having him in the boat.
KidDerringer
Posted 12/27/2007 11:27 AM (#290699 - in reply to #290485)

Edited by KidDerringer 12/27/2007 12:02 PM
KidDerringer
Posted 12/27/2007 11:29 AM (#290700 - in reply to #290485)

Cool to see hounds in the boat.

Never had a problem in all these seasons gone by.

Few pointers here an there an all our hounds just sort of GOT IT.

We figure older hounds teach younger hounds rules of the rig so everything just sort of falls into place an goes smoothly.
Or they simply might not get to go next time round.

Now Moe is only 1 an has jumped in after a fish or lure a few times an brother Bear has no interest in jumping in....just likes to watch everything.
Barney -n- Homer J. simply love the boat an fishen so have always been along...sometimes even at clients request.

We figure that is just part of his growing up an A OK fine to us.

Lots of time to come back for fish ....no sense in jumping him for having fun an just being a pooch.

Best clients I ever had...ever.

Tom Wehler

(05H&B1.jpg)

(Hounds07.jpg)

(Sweethounds04.jpg)

(05guides.jpg)

(Dockboy07.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 05H&B1.jpg (50KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments Hounds07.jpg (85KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments Sweethounds04.jpg (53KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments 05guides.jpg (66KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments Dockboy07.jpg (69KB - 111 downloads)
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/27/2007 5:03 PM (#290743 - in reply to #290485)

Nice lookin dogs Tom! Not including you of course

Looks like you have one hell of a place up there to live.
James
Mikes Extreme
Posted 12/27/2007 5:32 PM (#290744 - in reply to #290686)

I also will let my dog swim as I cast. She knows that if she comes up toward the front of the boat I will tell her "back" and she swims back. She has learned that she can swim while I cast for a while as long as she stays close to the back of the boat and keeps within 50ft of the boat.

Don't take this the wrong way. Sandy is 6 years old and this is only the 2nd season I have let her do this. I can say "back" while holding out my hand like a stop sign. She is so good she knows exactly how far she can come up and out from the boat. If I hook a fish she will stay away also. This was the hardest to teach her. Once your dog trusts you and you her, everything is cool. Sandy is a huge part of my life. Dogs are like kids. Never a dull moment.

Also teach your dog where to get back in your boat. You will need to do this. I have my lab go to the back of the boat and up the opposite side of the kicker motor. She will come up and place her paws on the back of the boat, I will grab the back of her neck and lift. She knows this and uses her feet to lift also. Once she is in she sits until I tell her its ok to shake off. She then stays on the back deck until I tell her it's ok to move around the boat again. Sometimes I don't like the water all over the boat.

You will amazed at all the stuff you can teach a dog with time. TIME is what will bond you and your dog. Man/Womans best friend for sure. My dogs not kennel dog and spends more time on the water then most serious muskie anglers will in a year. Only been hooked once, she came up to me with sad eyes and this lure hanging from her chin. Snip and she went back to her buisness. It's like she came up to me to remove it. Some dogs are very smart. Get a good breed and enjoy your new pal. I would recomend a yellow or back lab and a female. But thats my choice.
JKahler
Posted 12/28/2007 1:22 AM (#290769 - in reply to #290485)

I take my lab trolling, but she can't sit still casting and gets in the way a little bit. Maybe this next season she'll come with a few more times. She didn't help her cause when she threw up in the boat, and ate my hookded sweatshirt in the truck while I was loading the boat on the trailer. Oh well..never a dull moment.
cjrich
Posted 12/28/2007 7:51 AM (#290780 - in reply to #290485)

Spanky The Wonder Dog. Absolutely LOVES Musky fishing. When the boat is moving ... he's got to stand in the front and posture himself as if "George Washington crossing the Delaware."

Our family's pride and joy!

Edited by cjrich 12/28/2007 7:55 AM

(netdog.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments netdog.jpg (49KB - 106 downloads)
Doonan
Posted 12/28/2007 9:39 AM (#290786 - in reply to #290485)

Start them early in life and let them burn off some energy through out the day. My labs first trip was when he was 10 weeks old and he actually got potty trained in the boat faster than he did at home. The more the dogs go the better they will get. Get the dog some rawhide bones to chew on too that will keep them from chewing on the net, lures, and etc.

(IMG_0571.jpg)

(doc and me trolling.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0571.jpg (26KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments doc and me trolling.jpg (15KB - 105 downloads)
Mark H.
Posted 12/28/2007 12:51 PM (#290805 - in reply to #290485)

Great looking heard Tommy...Gotta love Golden's. Hope all is well on the Island.

My Mande (Mandy) is a very special part of my life. Great hunting, fishing buddy and overall companion. Somewhere in the archives is a long thread I posted years ago where we were both attached to the same 6" Jake...Nasty memory from about 7 years ago, happend in my shop not the boat. I keep a very clean boat at all times and keep baits out of her reach when we fish. Mande turned 8 over Christmas weekend, loves the "big-boat" and even has her own boat "Lab Cab" that she uses to take me waterfowl hunting

Enjoy your fury friends companionship in and out of the boat.

(Mark n Mande05.jpg)

(Mande's Lab Cab 1006 web.jpg)

(Mande 618 1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mark n Mande05.jpg (161KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments Mande's Lab Cab 1006 web.jpg (56KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments Mande 618 1.JPG (103KB - 114 downloads)
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 12/28/2007 2:35 PM (#290815 - in reply to #290485)

Dogs and Muskies

Does it get any better?

Thanks for the photos.
J Nail
Posted 12/28/2007 2:45 PM (#290817 - in reply to #290485)

My lab like to retrieve too much, can't keep her in the boat becasue she keeps jumping out after cast "sticks". But my other dog like to go, but has been hooked twice. So be extra careful where you leave stuff. Dogs WILL find any bait left out of the box, no matter where it is.
Jomusky
Posted 12/28/2007 5:46 PM (#290829 - in reply to #290817)

I keep my Chesie (Mercury) on the leash around the front seat post. It has worked very good for 10 years. He knows when I take the leash off it's fun time. He would swim all day if I let him.

He gets worked up when I get a backlash but doesn't give a crap about normal casting or even seeing top water baits.

He starts barking and gets all worked up when I set the hook....everyone knows when I get a fish....can't take him trolling because he is worked up whenever he hears a clicker going...and he gets the poops from drinking the water in Green Bay every time.

He has learned the hard way what lures and hooks do. He has gotten better at staying away from them, I said something about it htis spring that he hadn't been hooked in a few years and sure enough it happened this year but not too bad. He takes it way better then a person...afterwards it is like nothing ever happened...even when he got one in the nose when he was a puppy.

The photo is old and so am I now but it is one of my favorites. My fish are usually bigger now too.

Edited by Jomusky 12/28/2007 5:54 PM

(Canada2000sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Canada2000sm.jpg (120KB - 121 downloads)
Musky Brian
Posted 12/28/2007 5:49 PM (#290831 - in reply to #290829)

wow, great Looking dogs you got there Tom..and the view from your dock, I am jealous
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/28/2007 5:57 PM (#290832 - in reply to #290831)

Mark I got to say I like your dog the best! I love its camo stuff for duck hunting! Great dog!
Kingfisher
Posted 12/29/2007 11:25 AM (#290906 - in reply to #290485)

Check this out, This is a page from my Bichon Frise website. Fisher Price is our Male Bichon Frise. He goes Musky fishing with us and is very hook wise and never messes in the boat. He likes the livewell and uses it like Television. My wife puts a couple of perch in there and he has a ball trying to catch them.

Now this will be hard to believe but this dog will watch a bobber and whine when it starts going under. As God is my whitness Fisher price watches the live bait rig when we are musky fishing. There is a picture of him watching a bobber. He watches the hole when we are ice fishing and knows when one of us gets a bite. He also sees follows and gets excited when they come up to boat. Enjoy, Kingfisher http://www.kingfisherbichons.com/fish2.html
Shane Mason
Posted 12/29/2007 7:35 PM (#290961 - in reply to #290829)

Jomusky - 12/28/2007 5:46 PM

I keep my Chesie (Mercury) on the leash around the front seat post. It has worked very good for 10 years.

Mercury is one hell of a water skier too. My first Mercury moment I will never forget, I really though you killed him that day Joe. But he pops back in the boat looking like he wanted to do that again.

Edited by Shane Mason 12/29/2007 7:37 PM
tuffy1
Posted 12/31/2007 10:43 AM (#291162 - in reply to #290832)

I love taking Palo the wonder pup out with us. He definitely likes when people are in the boat. Just ask the dude. If you are going to keep them leashed at first, definitely do it on a short leash so they can't jump out. Found this out the hard way, as mine jumped out when he was younger and wrapped the leash around his leg. That's and expensive vet bill to get the tendon re attached. Good thing it didn't wreck him for life.

He loves smelling the 'skis and could care less for the "incidental" fish that hit the boat.

I don't have any pics on my work puter, but will find some when I get home. Now he just sits and watches the baits come in. Very good in the boat, but definitely keep the hooks out of reach. He found one this year that I though would be fine hanging in the front. Oops. He took it better than I did though. I was a tad freaked. The bait found its way in a good spot though and I cut it out quick with the help of Lazer.

Cool pup pics above. I can also attest to Mike's lab. She's an awesome boat dog. Even runs behind the boat to the launch and home at times.
JRedig
Posted 1/18/2008 11:31 PM (#294930 - in reply to #290485)

Great thread guys! I've got a weird odd-couple that come with me in the boat. A jack russell terrier and an Akita. Here's a pic of a little ski that they were both VERY interested in! Both will bail overboard after a fish if it's splashing about, makes for very entertaining times on the water!!

(42 muskie 002 (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 42 muskie 002 (2).jpg (99KB - 134 downloads)
Dave VanDoorn
Posted 1/19/2008 3:16 PM (#295017 - in reply to #290832)

Hi

Great posts everyone.

Edited by DVD 1/19/2008 3:23 PM