4 stroke motor question..
Tom P
Posted 12/4/2007 6:06 PM (#287581)
Subject: 4 stroke motor question..

I am looking at buying a new boat and was planning on getting a Yamaha 4 stroke on it. Found a Ranger I like but it has a Merc. 4 stroke on it. This is a 90 hp. tiller and I do plan on doing some trolling, so the question is this motor as good as the Yamaha as far as being smooth and quiet and dependable or should I stick to the Yamaha?

Thanks,
Tom P.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/4/2007 6:20 PM (#287582 - in reply to #287581)
Subject: RE: 4 stroke motor question..

PM SENT!
MadJim
Posted 12/4/2007 6:57 PM (#287588 - in reply to #287582)

I bought a 75 Yamaha this spring. What sold me on it was the tiller handle. If you troll you will want to check it out before making a decision.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/4/2007 7:17 PM (#287591 - in reply to #287581)
Subject: Re: 4 stroke motor question..

I had a 115 Mercury 4stroke. It was a 2002. Dad and I trolled a lot with it in early spring. I was able to troll down to anywhere from 1.9-2.1 pending conditions. The motor really did well for trolling. I've personally trolled with both kinds of motors. I did not see any difference in my opinion. There both awesome motors and will do the same performance wise. Now like what MadJim above said, the handles do vary. So I think the main thing is, figure out what you like and go with it. The Merc will do everything the Yamaha can.

Edited by Merckid 12/4/2007 7:19 PM
mskyhntr
Posted 12/4/2007 7:39 PM (#287594 - in reply to #287581)

The Yamaha has the best tiller handle setup in the business PERIOD! Also since you are looking at new motors the yamaha tiller will also come the the vts system which changes engine rpm's in 50 rpm increments. which is awesome for trolling and even in big wind when the trolling motor can't be used. The handle also has the tilt/trim right at the tip of the handle for easy adjustment....no more foot control tilt trim.

Edited by mskyhntr 12/4/2007 7:40 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2007 8:15 PM (#287602 - in reply to #287581)

Have you seen the Tiller Mercury hydraulic steering?

Just wondering.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/4/2007 8:28 PM (#287603 - in reply to #287581)

What's the difference from any hydraulic steering?
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2007 10:09 PM (#287620 - in reply to #287581)

ANY? There are so many I assume...

New handle, new system, and tillers all the way to the big blocks with the handle and hydraulic steering standard.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/4/2007 11:04 PM (#287624 - in reply to #287620)

Dave Anderson, reigning 2005 Professional Walleye Trail Champion runs a 175 with the Hydraulic steering system. Also, two time back to back PWT champion and all time money winner on the PWT, Ron Seelhoff has been running the new or new last year Lund 2010 Pro Guide with a 175 Optimax with the Hydraulic Steering. He's arguably THEE best walleye trolling professional on any professional walleye circuit. Won the fourth event at Mille Lacs in 2006 with this rig and a Mercury 175 Optimax and the hydraulic steering. So, to answer your question, Yamaha does NOT have the best 'period'. Both brands are well built and are nice motors.

You mentioned the VTS system. Have you ever heard of the Smart Craft system? I believe Mercury was the first to design something like this. The VTS came after the Mercury Smart Craft gauges. You can also dial down in 50 rpm increments. PLUS, this is offered on the Optimax and the Verado motors by Mercury! As for your tilt/trim question, they have this button right on the handle to my friend. Sorry to say, if anything, Yamaha is playing catch up on big tillers. But, the Yammy is still a great motor!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the Smart Craft gauges are available on all larger models in an Optimax, maybe even a 75!
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 5:10 AM (#287643 - in reply to #287581)

TJ what does bieng a walleye pro have to do with hydraulic power steering on a smaller tiller setup? Also Mercury hydraulic power steering is not available on smaller motors until Jan 2008 check the website! The Mertens system on these bigger motors is available for Yammy too! Many 620 tillers out there with the power steering my friend. And the smart craft is another OPTION the vts is STANDARD for the smaller yammy tillers! Look at both handles if you can't see the difference theirs obviosly a problem. Also who's playing catch up? I have a 06 90 yammy tiller have you looked at a 06 mercury tiller handle? Big Difference

Edited by mskyhntr 12/5/2007 5:12 AM
bulldawger
Posted 12/5/2007 8:54 AM (#287661 - in reply to #287581)

Pro's don't always use best imo. They use what they get the best deal from the sponor on!
Posted 12/5/2007 9:19 AM (#287666 - in reply to #287581)

I agree with Bulldawger

Pro's don't always use what is actually the "best of the best" but what their boat company wants them to run and what motor company offers them the best deal.

sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 9:53 AM (#287671 - in reply to #287581)

In this case both Pros are running THEIR choice of product, including the boat and motor. Both could run about any product they wish. In this case, TJ is absolutely correct.

I just looked at the Mercury Hydraulic Tiller handle pricing, some Mercs will be available with a dealer installed hydraulic system, and some with factory installed systems. That system will allow you to steer that big rig with a fingertip. Yes, the Smart Craft system is an option, but it does MUCH more than just set the speed. As far as the 'catch up' statement, I believe TJ was looking at the Smart Craft system, and Merc has had that available for years. The handle issue is debatable, and is a personal preference. If I had a choice of any tiller motor out there, I'd choose the fastest, most fuel efficient motor I can buy and definitely have the hydraulic steering installed. In this case and following that criteria, it would be an Opti Max. Read up.

That said, Yamaha builds a very fine product, and will continue to no doubt. Look at all the options, get in the boat on the dealer's showroom floor, and grab that tiller handle.

Guest, really now. Why did you select your boat brand, and what happened to that brand's entire Pro Team last year? HMMM, the company sold, and POOF, everyone out there who had worked their collective fannies off to promote that boat was pretty much left holding an empty sack. Just because you do what you do doesn't mean a true Nationally recognized Pro like Ron has to, wants to, or needs to.

Bulldawger,
When was the last time you spent a summer working hands on with In Fisherman and the sponsors of a National tournament circuit, and over 100 Pros? A lifetime's and more contact with engines, boats, and Pros in short order, and I speak form personal experience; I attend and work at the same events. Service trailers and the best of the best factory wrenches there, factory support personnel, the top Walleye Pros in the world, and all of this in an intense atmosphere where the product HAS to perform. Yamaha has a number of sponsored anglers, so if you want to be rude, you could make the same 'run what pays best' comment about them. I can tell you, it's a personal choice by most Pros what motor they run, and most are intensely loyal to the brand.
Posted 12/5/2007 10:19 AM (#287678 - in reply to #287581)

I never said, "All Pro's", but some pro's do run boats or motor based on the deals they can get with one company over another company.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 10:23 AM (#287679 - in reply to #287643)

mskyhntr - 12/5/2007 5:10 AM

TJ what does bieng a walleye pro have to do with hydraulic power steering on a smaller tiller setup? Also Mercury hydraulic power steering is not available on smaller motors until Jan 2008 check the website! The Mertens system on these bigger motors is available for Yammy too! Many 620 tillers out there with the power steering my friend. And the smart craft is another OPTION the vts is STANDARD for the smaller yammy tillers! Look at both handles if you can't see the difference theirs obviosly a problem. Also who's playing catch up? I have a 06 90 yammy tiller have you looked at a 06 mercury tiller handle? Big Difference

Mr. mskyhntr, what does being a walleye pro have to do with this. Ummm...alot. These guys use there boats a lot. Some of these pros only troll, for an example, Ron Seelhoff. He does this pretty much tournament after tournament. He's had tremendous success. I did not say the Mertens system was not available to Yammies, no where in my post did I say that. I know they are. Personally, having the Smart Craft as an option, is in my opinion better. Some people don't want to pay the $1500-$2500 or whatever it costs for this. Some people just don't have the need nor the desire to pay the extra for it. However, the Smart Craft system does A LOT more than just raise your rpm's in small increments. The Smart Craft system is basically a brain to the outboard. With this system, it can give readouts that only could be known to a mechanic with a hooked up computer to the outboard. Now like what Mr. Worrall stated, you may think the Yammies handle is better, but your one person, not everyone thinks that. I'm partial to Mercury, your obviously partial to Yamaha, nothing wrong with that. But trying to say it's the only motor out there for trolling is wrong. Mercs do a fine job. It's all in preference.

Edited by Merckid 12/5/2007 10:33 AM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 10:30 AM (#287684 - in reply to #287678)

Guest - 12/5/2007 10:19 AM

I never said, "All Pro's", but some pro's do run boats or motor based on the deals they can get with one company over another company.

You are very correct guest. However, I would have to say it has more to do with what circuit the pro is fishing. For example, the FLW tour is sponsored by Evinrude and Yamaha. The PWT is sponsored by Mercury. The guys that fish one or the other have contingencies on the line. Majority, and I mean probably 50-75% of pros receive nothing from these outboard companies. The ones that do are your guys like Keith Kavajecz, Gary Parsons, Gary Roach, and your really big names in the fishing world. Guys run a particular motor on a particular trail because of the contingencies that they can receive for placing in a tournament. For example, on the FLW side, running a Ranger or a G3 with either a Yammy or Evinrude on the back, you qualify for as much as $50,000 more running the proper equipment. That is why guys run certain product, not because there getting checks handed to them by these companies. Very few are in the fishing world.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 11:06 AM (#287689 - in reply to #287581)

TJ I never said merc's don't troll ever...shoot I ran a mariner on my old boat trolled fine. But the poster was wondering about a 90hp 4 stroke...last I knew tourney pro's don't run around a lake with a 90hp. plus who would spend 2K on the smart craft system for a small tiller. My dealer charged me 20 bucks to hook up my yammy for a hour check for break in. That's a lot of 20 dollar hook ups to justify 2k for the smart craft system. So for this hp class I think yammy with the vts is the best bang for the buck. this imo. nothing against mercs.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 11:27 AM (#287696 - in reply to #287581)

The 90 HP Mercury, to answer the direct question, will troll down very nicely, and is already on the boat if I understand correctly. The Merc will be smooth, quiet, and dependable.

Hntr,
A couple of the PWT and FLW Pros used small tiller over the last few years to be more maneuverable and easier on fuel. Some of the events are not on water that command a larger rig, and the decision to run a small rig didn't hurt a bit and may have helped. I remember Danny Plautz running a 75 Merc 4 stroke (very similar to the 90 Merc), I believe, on a 17' Crestliner, in a PWT event this year. He cashed a check, too, if I remember correctly. Ron Seelhoff has used his smaller rig many times as well.

Comes down to brand loyalty and preference, really.

Seelhoff:
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/rankings_fisherman.asp?fmid=9396&r...

Plautz:
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/rankings_fisherman.asp?fmid=13445&...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 11:55 AM (#287700 - in reply to #287581)

Steve Fellegy has run a Lund Pro-V with a 90 Opti in several events.

Here's some images of Mr. Ron Seelhoff at a PWT running his 75 Merc.

Pros use what is the best rig for the event, sometimes that's a big rig, sometimes it's a smaller rig.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Stevie F..JPG)

(Ronnie.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Stevie F..JPG (79KB - 232 downloads)
Attachments Ronnie.JPG (93KB - 181 downloads)
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 12:05 PM (#287703 - in reply to #287581)

look at the bottom photo...it looks like he has some kind of gear shift extension on the handle for shifting in and out of gear....something yamaha already has right up by the handle along with the vts and the tilt and trim. Look and the handle for pete's sake to features on the handle other than the throttle...like I said yamaha has their tiller handle nailed!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 12:08 PM (#287704 - in reply to #287700)

ummm...that boat is also 10+ years old. I bet there is options on the Mercs now, if not standard. I'm sure you can get those things just like back in the day. If they made extensions available then, I'm sure they make them available now! Not everyone requires an extension.

Edited by Merckid 12/5/2007 12:11 PM
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 12:12 PM (#287706 - in reply to #287581)

TJ both motors are great running 4 strokes...but the handle is what give the yamaha the edge over everyone else here's a photo lets see that merc handle or any one elses.

(tiller photo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tiller photo.jpg (19KB - 968 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 12:21 PM (#287707 - in reply to #287581)

'This is a 90 hp. tiller and I do plan on doing some trolling, so the question is this motor as good as the Yamaha as far as being smooth and quiet and dependable or should I stick to the Yamaha?'

Question answered, handle images aside. That answer would be yes on the smooth and quiet issues.

Another consideration; if the 90 HP Mercury is an 'older' model, there's a pretty good chance the powerhead is a Yammy anyway, they used to have a cooperative agreement.

And, unless I am reading this incorrectly, mercury will have exclusive rights to the Enginesteer system, so it may not be avaoilable with any other outboard.

Suzuki has a hydraulic assist handle for their 70 and 90 HP motors, which seems to work well.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 12:22 PM (#287708 - in reply to #287581)

They've been out awhile John. But now, looks to me Mercury has exclusive rights to the patent for applying power steering to outboard tiller handles. Remember, this is the not only upping Yamaha, it's adding the power steering to ALL models.

http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/newsandevents/newsdetail.php?...

Mercury Marine to become the exclusive provider of power steering for tiller handle outboard engines

(Oct 02, 2007) -

FOND DU LAC, Wis. - Mercury Marine and EngineSteer have agreed to an arrangement that grants Mercury Marine exclusive rights to the patent for applying power steering to outboard tiller handles.

With this new agreement, Mercury Marine will become the only provider of power steering tiller handles for outboard engines. The power steering system will utilize many common parts currently used with Verado and OptiMax engines such as cylinders, hoses and the power steering pump.

Tim Merten, spokesperson for EngineSteer, believes Mercury Marine will become a dominate player in the (tiller handle) market by offering power steering for large outboard engines.

"EngineSteer is proud to partner with Mercury Marine in bringing this product to the market," Merten said.

This agreement follows another recent announcement. In June, Mercury announced that it will soon begin production of three new tiller handles designed for large outboard engines, including 75-115 hp Mercury FourStroke outboards, 75-250 hp OptiMax outboards and 135-200 hp four-cylinder Verado Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS) outboards.

The new power steering tiller handle allows for adjustable steering pressure with the touch of a finger and has zero engine feedback while steering the boat. A bypass valve allows the outboard to be manually steered when the engine is not running.

"These zero-feedback tiller handles will provide a great advantage to fisherman with large outboard engines," said Mike Reilley, product manager for Mercury Control and Rigging Systems. "We are excited to form this partnership with EngineSteer."

The new tiller handle will be available through any authorized Mercury dealer beginning in January of 2008.

Edited by Merckid 12/5/2007 12:25 PM
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 12:47 PM (#287712 - in reply to #287581)

Still that's no different than me called up Tim Merten and ordering one for my Yamaha. And yes I Can order one
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 12:53 PM (#287714 - in reply to #287712)

mskyhntr - 12/5/2007 12:47 PM

Still that's no different than me called up Tim Merten and ordering one for my Yamaha. And yes I Can order one

Did you not get the memo on that? It does say EXCLUSIVE. You may be able to get it, but it's going to be through a Mercury Dealer my friend.

(Oct 02, 2007) -

FOND DU LAC, Wis. - Mercury Marine and EngineSteer have agreed to an arrangement that grants Mercury Marine EXCLUSIVE rights to the patent for applying power steering to outboard tiller handles.

With this new agreement, Mercury Marine will become the only provider of power steering tiller handles for outboard engines. The power steering system will utilize many common parts currently used with Verado and OptiMax engines such as cylinders, hoses and the power steering pump.

Tim Merten, spokesperson for EngineSteer, believes Mercury Marine will become a dominate player in the (tiller handle) market by offering power steering for large outboard engines.

"EngineSteer is proud to partner with Mercury Marine in bringing this product to the market," Merten said
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 1:16 PM (#287717 - in reply to #287581)

Just got off the horn with Tim Merten felt the need since so info didn't seem right! Yes they are bought by mercury marine. But yes I can still buy directly through him or other dealers until their gone which should be by spring. What TJ failed to mention is that the other manufactures are also designing theirs as we speak so eventually EVERYBODY will have hydraulic steering available. NOT just mercury which me makes you think. And even if Mercury has theirs available first you think a 2000 option is upping the competition?

Edited by mskyhntr 12/5/2007 1:24 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 1:25 PM (#287723 - in reply to #287717)

Didn't say they couldn't design there own. If you think about it, it's probably more cost efficient for Mercury to partner with Tim Merten. Oh, and of course other dealers will have them until there gone. Kinda like people getting other kind of outboards on a Brunswick owned transom until they were gone. But I believe that has changed again. Take a look in a Lund catalog, let me know how many motors aren't black. But, others designing there own, wonder why. Oh, that's right, they can't get there hands on a EngineSteer system. Wouldn't you think that would force them to make there own?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 1:34 PM (#287725 - in reply to #287723)

John, upping means exceeding in some kind of way. Mercury has exceeded everyone else in the ability to offer the Merten system. Yes, you can buy direct, and or left overs. However, seeing there partnered with Mercury, I guarantee you Tim Merten is not going to be able to give you any better deal or be able to undercut Mercury on cost. Does anyone else have an EngineSteer system available? Ummm...no, only if you buy direct or find a left over.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/5/2007 1:50 PM (#287728 - in reply to #287581)

If you say so remember we are talking about a 90 horse here.....I don't know to many people who have trouble steering it....even without the power steering. A friend of mine is 65 says its a sinch to steer. A money wasted option in my opinion on a 90 that is....and remember he is already looking at a boat with a merc on it so NO power steering and no smart gauges. So the yammy still looks to be the better tiller at this TIME!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/5/2007 1:56 PM (#287729 - in reply to #287728)

mskyhntr - 12/5/2007 1:50 PM

at this TIME!

Those are definitely the keys words. That's if he wants to try and find a Yammy to put on it and spend the extra cash.

Remember, he stated he plans on doing SOME trolling. I think it comes down to preference. Try the Merc out, see what you think, if you don't like, look else where. Plain and simple. I think it will suit you just fine for what your looking for. I trolled with a 115 Mercury 4stroke and it performed wonderfully for me.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 2:23 PM (#287735 - in reply to #287581)

IF the dealer or person involved is willing to trade out a new Yammy for the Merc or for that matter a new Merc with the pwoer steering, then he can make the decision. As to other companies designing their own power tiller steering, that may be true, but it won't be the EngineSteer system; Honda doesn't have one on the docket, and I don't see any press releases from Bombardier yet. Suzuki is sticking with the hydraulic assist they have had for some time. Looks like Merc will have the best for awhile, at least. I can't imagine how one would improve on the EngineSteer, but I suppose it could be done.

No one should have 'trouble' using the Merc 90 HP 4 stroke either, but the power steering is pretty sweet.

You said it is YAMMY PERIOD. I disagree, so do a couple other folks.

And, I might mention to add to what you said, sure, no smartcraft or PS, and also....NO YAMAHA...unless he buys one. Door's open.
Tom P
Posted 12/5/2007 2:31 PM (#287736 - in reply to #287581)

Thanks for all the info guys, I did not mean to start an argument off any kind.
The boat is a 2006 Ranger 618T with a 90 Merc. stroke, salt water edition. It is a new boat left over and the dealer will not switch motors. For the record I have a 115 Merc on my current boat which I have had for 16 years and have had very little problems with, ( uses lots of gas ). My brother has had a 60 hp Yamaha for a few years now and really likes it. I have used this boat several times for trolling and really like the way the tiller controls are set up. The boat I buy I plan on keeping for many years and do not want to be disappointed.

Everybody has some very good points, and it seems like they are both good motors, maybe just some personnel preferences on the controls. I am still leaning towards the Yamaha.

Thanks,
Tom P.
Shep
Posted 12/5/2007 3:35 PM (#287747 - in reply to #287581)

Tom P - 12/4/2007 6:06 PM

I am looking at buying a new boat and was planning on getting a Yamaha 4 stroke on it. Found a Ranger I like but it has a Merc. 4 stroke on it. This is a 90 hp. tiller and I do plan on doing some trolling, so the question is this motor as good as the Yamaha as far as being smooth and quiet and dependable or should I stick to the Yamaha?

Thanks,
Tom P.

Yes, the Merc is as good, and better in some ways, than the Yamaha. It will be as smooth, and as quiet. Bigger displacement, higher output Alternator, and the ECM which controls the motor is second to none. The tiller handle debate is a subjective one. Obviously, you have had a Merc Tiller handle, and have been satified with it. They all make pretty reliable motors now.

FYI, you can get the SmarCraft Speedo for under $400. You don't have to have both speedo and tach to get the troll down option.

As for the Enginesteer system, the Patent that Mercury now holds, will prevent anyone from producing a system like it. Anyone wanting to design a new hydraulic system for tillers will have to come up with a different approach. I doubt BRP, or Yamaha will spend the bucks to do that for such a small market. So, it would have to be an individual that would design and develop it, much like Tim Mertens did.
Sawbones
Posted 12/5/2007 11:08 PM (#287804 - in reply to #287581)

I don't buy the argument that power steering is only useful for bigger outboards. It is simply required to allow the use of bigger tillers. I have never fished from anything other than a tiller, and I have spent more than my fair share of thime on the water. I presently run a 17' Lund with a 50 Merc 2 stroke. I can tell you that when your doing a 15 mile run across LOTW with a heavy crosswind (which is pretty much always it seems) having power steering would be pretty sweet, and save a lot of energy for the reason I am out there, which is to fish.
Dave
Ben K
Posted 12/6/2007 9:15 AM (#287830 - in reply to #287581)

Ive ran both and the Yamaha 4 stroke is (IMO) the best motor on the market. IMO reputation is everything and as far as Im concerned Yamaha will always have that over Mercury (somebody even said that some mercs may have yamaha power heads. that says it all) Yamahas customer service in my experience has been so much better (to me at least) than mercs. One of my clients this year was a guide from Alaska. he said they run a few different kinds of motors at the resort, but when it gets really,really cold they only use the yamahas. From what he said they have never had a problem with reliability.

Have I had problems with my yamaha 4 strokes? Definitely! I spend over 250 days a year on the water and troll for months at a time.I have a T8 kicker but dont even bother using it for trolling. I had a problem this year with the fuel system on my 03 115. Motor wasnt under warranty and even if it was the warranty doesnt cover the fuel system (neither does mercs) yamaha replaced the entire fuel system free of charge when it was determined that there MAY have been a problem with some of the injectors.No arm twisting was involved..I just gave him the facts and he made the right decision..

As for the power steering,Its unneccasary on the 90 (IMO).. Regardless of who owns the rights to what, its still gonna cost around 2 grand for the upgrade. IMO whats going to happen in the near future is that Yamaha will design there own steering system that will surpass that of which is already on the market.Not to mention they will make it more cost effective.

Is the merc 4 stroke a good motor? Yep. I have a buddy who has a newer 115 4 stroke merc and loves it. When we fish together we bicker about everything BUT whos got the best motor. Its never come up once. We're both just happy that our motors are running well and thats that.

No matter what 4 stroke motor you buy, if you dont let it warm up before running hard, change the oil regularly or run some sort of fuel stabilizer/injector cleaner year round your going to have problems down the road.
Ben K
Posted 12/6/2007 9:19 AM (#287831 - in reply to #287581)

Shep,

Im not sure that the market is as small as you think..I could be wrong though.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/6/2007 9:47 AM (#287835 - in reply to #287581)

Exactly Ben I just can't see ranger not being able to put a 150 yammy tiller on a 620 because of no power steering,never happen imo. And well CS that's another issue that's not worth discussing We all know who has inferior CS.
Ben K
Posted 12/6/2007 10:44 AM (#287843 - in reply to #287581)

I agree.

Personally, Ive seen a boom in the tiller market lately, especialy the 18' and larger models. More people have them so more and more companies are manufacturing them. not to mention the salt water market. I have no doubt that we will see a PS system from yamaha in the near future.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2007 11:58 AM (#287851 - in reply to #287835)

mskyhntr - 12/6/2007 9:47 AM

Exactly Ben I just can't see ranger not being able to put a 150 yammy tiller on a 620 because of no power steering,never happen imo. CS.

The highest rated tiller on any boat is a 115hp without the assist of a power steering. Don't quote me on this, but I have never seen any tiller without the steering system that has a larger motor than a 115. I've seen A LOT of them! To be honest, it might even be a law that the steering system is the only way possible for such higher hp. I know the Coast Guard approves those things and I know I've seen a lot of tillers, but nothing over 115hp without the assist of the power steering.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2007 12:00 PM (#287852 - in reply to #287581)

Here you go mskyhntr,

Read and weep. A 620 rated for a 150 w/Hyd. steering. I can almost bet you it's a law!

http://www.rangerboats.com/flash/specification.cfm?mid=5229&series=...

Here is Warrior's website. There also highly known for big tillers. This is there 20footer. It's rated for a 115, however, with the assist of the hydraulic steering, you can put a 200hp on it.

http://www.warrior-boats.com/series_bt/v2090_bt_eagle_tournament.ht...

One more to the list. Lund, brand new last year. The Lund 2010 Pro Guide. The boat Mr. Ron Seelhoff himself ran before anyone else had the boat. Thee proto-type. This boat again, rated for a 115hp, but can handle a 175 with hydraulic steering. Right on the link below.

http://www.lundboats.com/2010proguide_2008.html

Need I say more? Or should I say, anymore examples?

Edited by Merckid 12/6/2007 12:22 PM
mskyhntr
Posted 12/6/2007 12:23 PM (#287854 - in reply to #287581)

TJ you miss understood me...what I meant was I find it hard to believe that yamaha or ranger won't't have something ready to go so guys could order a 620 or any other big tiller with their own hydraulic steering so it could be ordered with a yamaha or any other outboard other than a merc Business would definetly suffer IMO and these company won't let that happen. Do you Know how much business would be lost if big tillers that required hyd steering could only be mercs on the back? I can see it now

Edited by mskyhntr 12/6/2007 12:25 PM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2007 12:31 PM (#287856 - in reply to #287852)

That makes sense. I honestly thought you were trying to say something else.

Take a look at what Warrior has already done for there rigs. I forgot about this setup. This will allow for any motor to be put on.

http://www.warrior-boats.com/video/video_ads_07/pro_tiller.html

They would lose a little business, however, if a guy wants a big tiller bad enough, they would change. Otherwise they would just figure something else out. But I agree, they would lose business. However, I think like Shep mentioned. I don't see that much of a market for these big tillers. There is some, but not like a 17-18 foot rig. The money for them and size of the boat is just out of range for many. But I have a hard time thinking other companies are going to try and build there own power assist steering. The money that would cost would probably be more than if they would just buy it from Mercury. Plus, marinas can rig these boats with 115, unless a customer wants something bigger, then I would imagine a marina would just place an order to Mercury. Very few rigs come from the factory with the power steering on them. Most of that work is done by a marina because they have a particular customer wanting that. That or they have to change out motors. That I learned first hand from working with one of the largest Ranger dealers in the country.

Edited by Merckid 12/6/2007 1:58 PM
Ben K
Posted 12/6/2007 1:22 PM (#287865 - in reply to #287581)

My Ranger 620T is rated for a 125 without the power steering.

125s are no longer made and a 150 would be too much without the power steering. why you only see 115s that arent equipped with the power steering
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2007 1:28 PM (#287867 - in reply to #287581)

How old is your Ranger? Couple different things, they've obviously changed the rating on a 620. I'll bet your hull changed somehow, or you got a US Coast Guard approval to put a bigger motor on it. But the fact of the matter is, there is not a 20footer on the market that can put a motor that is bigger than a 115 without putting the power steering on it now. Maybe five or ten years ago, but not now.
bn
Posted 12/6/2007 1:47 PM (#287870 - in reply to #287581)

Hey Merckid
mskyhntr is Mike Leombruni
NOT John Bette.
Get your musky hunters straight KID.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2007 1:59 PM (#287874 - in reply to #287581)

My bad, they looked the same.
Oh, it's Mr. Merckid, not KID.

Edited by Merckid 12/6/2007 2:03 PM
Shep
Posted 12/6/2007 2:12 PM (#287876 - in reply to #287867)

Ben K, you are right, in your opinion. But you make it sound as though Yamaha will cover anything, forever. Simply not the case. Certain circumstances, they will cover out of warranty. But so has Merc. And BRP, And Suzuki, and....

Reputation is important, but I tend to look at it as perception instead. Perception was that Yamaha builds a more reliable motor. Reality probably is that they have about the same rate of problems as all the brands. But no matter. JD Powers award the past two years to Merc for the Opti. Who ever saw that coming 6 years ago?! When was the last JD powers award for Yamaha? That is a Customer Satisfaction based award. Seems the tide has turned? Or is it just perception that Opti owners are more satfied than Yamaha owners?

You say that when your Alaska guide uses the Yamaha's when it got really cold. Must have older carbed motors then, because Merc's midrange have been EFI for quite a few years before Yamaha's were. No way a carbed Yammy starts and runs as good as an EFI motor in the cold. The fact that Merc used Yamaha powerheads on the 75-115 4-stroke does not say it all. It was an economic agreement is all. The past 2 years, Merc has there very own design, and it is in many ways, a superior motor. Heck, Yamah didn't even EFI their 115 until at least 5 years after Merc did.

As for Yamaha coming outwith a power assist for the bigger tillers? Perhaps. But again, Patent Laws will require them design something different from the Merten design. So, I doubt that Yamaha themselves will develop it for the relatively small market. As I said, if another system is made available, it will be by a Tim Merten type. My guess is also that if Ranger can't get the Enginesteer to put on Yamaha's at the factory, then they will go to a Warrior like system. Again. small market, and they aren't going to stick a lot of developmental money in to this. But, that is assuming Ranger, or whoever, won't be able to buy these for non Merc applications.

Also, I am not sure the Warrior assist system is actually CG approved.
muskyihntr
Posted 12/6/2007 2:16 PM (#287877 - in reply to #287581)

bn how dare you.....i think you are the one who is wrong....merckid knows everything!
lambeau
Posted 12/6/2007 3:03 PM (#287891 - in reply to #287852)

I can almost bet you it's a law!

i'll take that bet...

it's not a law. read the Coast Guard regs and you'll see that they are actually "guidelines", although your insurance company would probably go along with them if there was a claim issue, and most dealer/riggers would probably be hesitant to rig a boat beyond the regs due to potential liability issues in the event of an accident. a civil court judge might do so as well if there were a personal claim filed against the operator for negligence.

tiller steering systems such as on the Warrior boats or brand-specific hydraulics such as Mercury's are good examples of "bending" the definitions as described in Coast Guard regs to enable tiller-rigged boats to be considered "remote steer" and therefore eligible for the higher hp motors on the boat's rating card.
as consumers we all benefit from this kind of innovation and outside-the-box thinking.
bobski
Posted 12/6/2007 8:44 PM (#287952 - in reply to #287581)

Has anyone seen a ransom note for this thread? hehe...
Slamr
Posted 12/7/2007 6:31 AM (#287974 - in reply to #287581)

Have we actually answered THIS question?

"I am looking at buying a new boat and was planning on getting a Yamaha 4 stroke on it. Found a Ranger I like but it has a Merc. 4 stroke on it. This is a 90 hp. tiller and I do plan on doing some trolling, so the question is this motor as good as the Yamaha as far as being smooth and quiet and dependable or should I stick to the Yamaha?

Thanks,
Tom P."
Ben K
Posted 12/7/2007 8:17 AM (#287996 - in reply to #287581)

And the reason, Merckid, why theres no tillers rated for 125s is because they dont make 125s anymore..Kinda stupid to rate a new 620T with a motor size thats not even manufactured. My 620 is a 2003. My buddy has a 04 or 05 that is also rated for a 125 without the PS.

Its hard to say whats what until you actually run a 620 with a 115 that doesnt have PS. I can run it fine with the tension bar loose in 0-2 foot waves.After that I have to tighten it up a little bit. If I were to get the PS installed on my current motor it would pretty much only benefit me while Im trolling. I spend so little time actually plained out. Maybe 10-20 minutes total in a 12 hour day.

"No way a carbed Yammy starts and runs as good as an EFI motor in the cold"

Whats your basis for that, Shep? Ive ran both motors and I wouldnt run a merc if someone gave me one for free. My yamahas have always started within a split second no matter what the temp was. Sit at the boat launch for a half hour and see who has problems starting there motors. It will never be a yamaha. Or call 20 outboard mechanics (not dealers) across the mid west and ask what 4 stroke motor they work on least. I did that before I bought my boat this year.yamaha was the second least worked on motor (Honda was first) I honestly didnt ask what motor they work on most. I asked what motor they would get if buying new and mercury wasnt mentioned. E tech was at the top with honda and yamaha. although this in know way says anything for ceartain, it does say a lot. Sometimes its not who does it first, but who does it best.
mskyhntr
Posted 12/7/2007 8:25 AM (#287999 - in reply to #287581)

Amen Brotha!
Shep
Posted 12/7/2007 9:29 AM (#288012 - in reply to #287999)

Slamr, I believe I answerred the original question.

Ben K, you say.

"I wouldnt run a merc if someone gave me one for free."

First of all, that is an unlikely situation, that you could get a Merc for free. But, just for the sake of arguement. You'd spend $7K+ on a Yamaha, rather than run a Merc that cost you nothing? Really? You must be pretty well off. I get that you prefer Yamaha to Merc, but c'mon.

I almost had Evinrudes on my new boat last year. Until the memo deal fell through, and I was going to actually have to pay for them up front. If I'm going to pay for a motor, it'll be a Merc. If I get one on a memo deal, well, guess what? That motor would be on my boat. I'm not stupid. I do not like Toyota trucks. I prefer Fords, But if someone offered me a Toyota for free? I'd be pulling my boat with it, and smiling all the way!

You want facts from me, yet you provide hearsay. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Your statement that more Mercs are worked on than Yamaha's means nothing, because there are many more Mercs out there than Yamahas. Stands to reason. I've seen plenty of Yamah's that woudn't start. And Evinrudes, and Chryslers, and Johnson, and even a Honda, over the years. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the problems were caused by neglect and improper maintenance, and not brand defect. My basis is experience of 30+ years as a boat and motor owner. What's yours?

Look, as I have stated many times on this board. They all make good motors today. Pick the one you like, with the features you like, at the price you like, and I'll say congrats on your new motor. But say silly things like you wouldn't run one if it was given to you free, well, then your arguement is falling on deaf ears.

Edited by Shep 12/7/2007 9:31 AM
Ben K
Posted 12/7/2007 11:46 AM (#288038 - in reply to #287581)

Im not exactly well off but I wouldnt take a mercury for free if I had to run it..Why? because if I was in the position to get a mercury for free I could more than likely get a yamaha for free as well..Anyone would take anything of value,but if I actually have to promote the product its not worth it.

Dude,Im not even 30 yrs old but cant how many boats Ive owned or different kinds of motors. I totaly agree with your last statement though.

All I said was thats what the 20 mechanics I talked to said. Definitely more mercs on the water and thats probably the reason why they were able to bounce back after all the recalls and power head problems.

Ive ran both motors and stated my preferences..Hardly hear say..
spec and red
Posted 1/7/2008 3:40 PM (#292592 - in reply to #287581)

I am trying to change the oil on my yamaha 115 4 stroke and need to make sure i pull the right plug on the pan. can anyone offer a few tips so I can make sure I have the right one . Is it the one directly under the dip stick
Thanks spec and red
bluegill
Posted 1/7/2008 8:50 PM (#292651 - in reply to #287581)

I would just interject that I've read that Enginsteer is retaining the right to sell the non-powered, hydralic steering system for tillers, the Titan system. This system gives you the same ability to not fight your tiller handle in foul weather with only a slight increase in pressure required to turn the tiller. My impression is that this system was specifically designed for 60-90 horse tillers where the increased control is desired but the powered system is overkill. I know its available on Yamahas currently, and probably other motors soon.

Eric

PS. Didn't bass and walleye boat magazine to a 90 Horse shootout a couple years ago. Thought the John-zuki did pretty well. Don't remember anything about the Yamaha, but didn't the Merc 90 have pretty low marks for fuel economy?

Edited by bluegill 1/7/2008 8:55 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/7/2008 11:50 PM (#292686 - in reply to #287581)

If it was a couple years ago, the Merc 90 WAS a Yamaha, I bet.
bluegill
Posted 1/8/2008 4:20 PM (#292817 - in reply to #287581)

It was in 04 or 05, so whenever the Brunswick/Yamaha relationship ended because of the anti-dumping suit would determine which head it was. I glanced at a summary on walleyecentral, and they didn't have a Yamaha in the test. The John-zuki took top honors, followed by the Etec. The Mercury 90 had the best top end, but was the loudest, slowest out of the hole, and had the worst fuel economy tested (not sure if it was EFI or carbed). They also tested the Honda (quietest) and the Tohatsu (best fuel economy, but I don't understand why they tested it but not a Yamaha). The Yamaha is a glaring ommission; wonder if it is due to the Mercury sponsorship of the magazine. Anyway, the 90 Johnson-Suzuki was the overall best finisher in all catagories measured.

More data for TomP to assimilate.

Eric

YoMama
Posted 1/9/2008 10:56 AM (#292993 - in reply to #292817)

The Merc 90 in that test was a carbed Yamaha powerhead. Merc just released it's own, all Merc 90 and 115 EFI 4 strokes last year.
Tom P
Posted 1/31/2008 9:23 AM (#297860 - in reply to #287581)

Well I finally decided on a boat and motor, it took 2 months of searching and looking at used Rangers that were like new ( and were not. ) I ended up buying the left over Ranger 618T, But it will have a brand new YAMAHA 90 fourstroke on the back. After some dealing and some extra $ the dealer was willing to switch motors.
Again I would like to thank everyone for there input, and it was a hard decision to make, but the concerns I had about the Mercury were that one dealer told me it was a Yamaha powerhead and another told me that it was Mercury, and I do like the controls better on the Yamaha.
Now I just need open WATER. ( and some Lowrance electronics, marine radio, rod holders,.......more tackle for the bigger boat .....it never ends....

Tom P
Ben K
Posted 1/31/2008 9:37 AM (#297862 - in reply to #287581)

Congrats Tom!! You will definitely enjoy your new rig!!
mskyhntr
Posted 1/31/2008 10:14 AM (#297877 - in reply to #287581)

Way to go Tom...I knew you would see the light!
castmaster
Posted 1/31/2008 4:44 PM (#297982 - in reply to #287581)

Steve,
I've got a question, and your probably the man who can answer it. I've been told several times the main reason we dont see many Honda motors on Pro's rigs is that Honda has little if any sponsorship deals and that Honda doesnt feel a need to promote their motors through Pro sponsorship. Is there any truth to that, or do the majority of the Pro's just not like Honda? I know they are a heavier motor, but you think more guys would run them.
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2008 7:32 PM (#298015 - in reply to #287581)

No sponsorships, no promotions, no reason for a Pro to promote the motor. Not sure on the salty stuff, but non existent on the walleye circuits and nearly so on Bass.
Posted 2/1/2008 3:34 PM (#298251 - in reply to #287996)

Ben K - 12/7/2007 8:17 AM

My yamahas have always started within a split second no matter what the temp was. Sit at the boat launch for a half hour and see who has problems starting there motors. It will never be a yamaha.

I guess you and I never crossed paths at the boat launch, while i was sitting there crank and die, crank and die, crank and die........ahhhhhhh finally my 2004 50 Yamaha tiller starts !!!!!...ok now wait and wait and wait for it to warm up and goooooooooooo....... yep go back to the dealer for another carb adjustment or whatever they would try to do to that thing.....but i do have to say ONCE it warmed up it is a nice running motor. But my new 115 Mercury 4 stroke is a much much much better starting motor and i have had zippo of problems with it so far. My dad runs a Yamaha 115 4 stroke as well and has no problems with that.