Looking for some Good Rain Gear????
MN Jackpot
Posted 11/23/2007 2:20 PM (#285919)
Subject: Looking for some Good Rain Gear????

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for some good rain gear to keep me dry. Because this past year
I fished Leech Lake in the rain and wind and got wet and wrecked my cell phone.
I just decided to invest in some quality rain gear. I was just wondering what is a
good brand or kind to get.
bn
Posted 11/23/2007 2:24 PM (#285920 - in reply to #285919)
Subject: RE: Looking for some Good Rain Gear????

Cabelas guidewear to me is about the best out there....
100% satisfaction guarantee for the lifetime you own it....
bn
Posted 11/23/2007 2:29 PM (#285922 - in reply to #285919)

you might want to check out cabelas.com they are having a sale on some guidewear and some other light goretex rain gear that would be rock solid as well for a decent price....
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/23/2007 2:32 PM (#285923 - in reply to #285919)
Subject: Re: Looking for some Good Rain Gear????

I have the Dry Plus Cabelas gear. It is thin but awesome rain gear. Bottoms and tops fit into separate small bags for easy storage. I also got one size larger so I can layer under if needed. Otherwise in summer I can wear them alone with shorts on and I am fine. They are loaded with water tight zippers so you can unzip as needed to let heat out and they breath. I like the above Guidewear too as my buddy has them but they are hot so not the best choice for summer rain but highly recommended if you want these for cold weather fishing. Both of these are in the $100 range but equal rain gear will cost you in the high $100 to low $300 range and I think Cabelas stuff is just as good if not better than the bigger brand name stuff. Not that you asked but, most of this rain gear is made in SE Asia so if you want a "made in the USA" product I am not sure what to recommend.
bn
Posted 11/23/2007 2:43 PM (#285927 - in reply to #285919)

I would agree with Tacklebooty...I have some Cabelas GoreTex EXV jacket/pants for spring/summer/early fall...then I go with the Insulated Guidewear when highs for the day dip into the 50's...you can get the uninsulated guidewear and probably be ok in the summer and then load up on layers in the fall if you want to just buy one set
shaley
Posted 11/23/2007 3:39 PM (#285933 - in reply to #285919)

I prefer Game Hide either fishemen series or for colder weather the Typhoon series. Great product and great customer servive and based out of MN
Whoolligan
Posted 11/23/2007 3:42 PM (#285934 - in reply to #285919)

I second that. I've got two sets of cabela's raingear, one is the systems version, with a heavier liner, and shell. Spendy at $400 bucks, but welll worth every penny. I'd buy it again, twice if I had to.
lambeau
Posted 11/23/2007 3:53 PM (#285937 - in reply to #285919)

i've got the Gander Mtn bibs and jacket (Tech2O) and they works great. mine are a couple years old and i've been thinking of getting new ones, but they still work just as good as ever, so why replace them?
i got the non-insulated and as mentioned by others already, i layer polypro and fleece underneath, have been dry and warm well below freezing in the wind and rain.
(i just noticed that somebody's selling a brand new set right now (size L) in the buy/sell/trade forum at a really good price.)

whatever brand you get, i suggest getting bibs rather than pants. they're better at blocking the wind, warmer, and there's no place for rain to sneak in beneath your coat seam.

i also have a DryJoys (golf brand) short sleeve rain top that i love in the summer. very lightweight so i stay cool, but extremely water resistant and drys almost instantly. it's perfect for pulling out when caught in a quick summer downpour.
jonnysled
Posted 11/23/2007 4:25 PM (#285942 - in reply to #285919)

there's a good deal on the Gander TechH20's on this site's classifieds. i've got my second pair. the zipper broke on my first pair and i had battery acid holes all throughout it after like 4 or 5 seasons of hard use ... i brought it in cause someone told me i could ... i was shocked when they said very simply ... "go get another set" .... my money for those kinds of things will always go to Gander Mountain ... that kind of service deserves my business.
sorenson
Posted 11/23/2007 4:39 PM (#285945 - in reply to #285942)

jonnysled - 11/23/2007 3:25 PM

there's a good deal on the Gander TechH20's on this site's classifieds. i've got my second pair. the zipper broke on my first pair and i had battery acid holes all throughout it after like 4 or 5 seasons of hard use ... i brought it in cause someone told me i could ... i was shocked when they said very simply ... "go get another set" .... my money for those kinds of things will always go to Gander Mountain ... that kind of service deserves my business.

I thought for sure he was just going to say, "Raingear is for Sallies, just toughen up."

I'm kinda old school, but if I really need to stay dry, I still use the old rubber Helly Hansons (it might also be a throwback from net-pulling). I guess that would be with the caveat that it's rather cool outside. When it's warmer, I will use the Gore-tex products since they do allow escapement of excess moisture. But when staying dry is also essential for staying warm, it's the Helly's for me. Bear in mind that I live in a desert, so I'm not as experienced as most who will be offering advice!

S.
Johnny_B
Posted 11/23/2007 4:41 PM (#285946 - in reply to #285919)

I've both Bass Pro Shops 100 MPH and Cabelas Guide Wear. Can't go wrong with either. I'm using the Guide Wear bibs with the BP 100 MPH parka. My sons have 100 MPH bibs and parkas. Early or late season, either are excellent.

John