gloves
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/15/2007 3:45 PM (#284786)
Subject: gloves

OK, I know this topic has been coverred a ton, but would like to get peoples opinion on their best fish handling devices. I have never been a big fan of wearing a glove while handling a fish, as they always seems cumbersome and slippery to me(always used leather). Well, yesterday I again paid for doing it my way. Had a freak deal with a bigger fish twisting in my grip while picking it off the bump board. I have had a ton of raker scrapes over the years, but this one laid the finger open, requiring 6 stitches. Not sure if there was a piece of hook left in the fish, or what happened. I just know I had an angry partner, who had to wait two hours till I got back. We both discussed how we should be using a glove, but I have yet to see any in the stores that I really felt would be both protective and easy to use. I guess I am open to trying one again, and my wife actually said I can't go again till I get one in my fishing tool kit. That said, I'd like a pair as I never know which hand I'll pick it up with(depends on how the fish it in the net). Any and all recomendations appreciated. Also, do you guys use a bogy grip? After reading and chiming in on the girth topic, I wonder if these devices can serve two purposes, weighing and safe handling... I don't like the way they look in pictures, but if they are very practical and useful I guess I'd think about it...
Reelwise
Posted 11/15/2007 3:51 PM (#284788 - in reply to #284786)
Subject: Re: gloves

I don't own a pair, but everytime I have been in the boat with Sean, I use his. I only wear one for the gills. I'm going to order a pair soon. I did have a fish bite through them, so remember they are not bulletproof.
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/15/2007 3:54 PM (#284789 - in reply to #284786)
Subject: RE: gloves

What kind of gloves are they?
esoxaddict
Posted 11/15/2007 3:59 PM (#284791 - in reply to #284786)

Reef Hawg, try the Musky Armour gloves. They're not bulky and cumbersome like a lindy glove, so you can still feel what you are doing. Like others, I always thought "ahh, knuckle scrapes, so what?" But as your experience proved, "so what" can turn into "dammit, now I gotta quit fishing and go to the hospital to get stitches!" which judging by my last hospital bill costs more than all the gloves you'd need if you threw them out after a single use.
bblack
Posted 11/15/2007 4:00 PM (#284793 - in reply to #284789)

Jason

I use the mechanics gloves you can get at Menards
cheap, dry fast and grip well and have raker protection
with the artificial leather
or the football gloves the HS wide recievers wear are OK too

bblack
bn
Posted 11/15/2007 4:01 PM (#284794 - in reply to #284786)

been using the musky armour gloves.... they work well...give em a try Reefer
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/15/2007 4:04 PM (#284795 - in reply to #284786)

I'm with you Jason, I like to handle the fish with my hands. I dont like gloves, never have and likely never will. I'm not saying its the smartest thing or that the gloves arent a very useful tool, but I'm more comfortable working with my bare hands. I think the gloves also take away from the picture. Perhaps getting torn to shreds will change my mind some day....but I'll do my best to keep that from happening.
snaggletooth
Posted 11/15/2007 4:08 PM (#284797 - in reply to #284786)

I bought a pair of the heavy-leather welder's gloves at Farm & Fleet. Short version, just past the wrist.

These gloves have the rough side of the leather outward, I think that helps with keeping a grip on da fish.

I cut-off a short portion, maybe an inch, of the finger ends on the thumb and index fingers on each glove. This allows me to feel for the slot under her chin when I begin to pick-up the fish.

So far, no cuts or trips to the emergency room. From fish handling anyway.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 11/15/2007 4:11 PM (#284798 - in reply to #284786)

I use Hunting Gloves and an alternate pair of ski gloves if they get wet
muskihntr
Posted 11/15/2007 4:19 PM (#284800 - in reply to #284786)

i was always one to say gloves are for sissies. hulbert turned me on to the musky armor gloves early this year and i will probablly not ever handle a fish without them...once you slide your hand under the gill plate you wouldnt even know you have a glove on. but what a differance in the way my hands feel from not having rakes all the time. they are well worth it.
Manta18
Posted 11/15/2007 4:25 PM (#284801 - in reply to #284800)

Another vote for the Musky Armor gloves.  Got a pair this summer and don't know what took me so long to buy a pair.  My brother kept telling me that gloves were for sissies, but now he has tried mine and is going to get a pair of his own.  Absolutely the best!
GOTONE
Posted 11/15/2007 4:41 PM (#284805 - in reply to #284786)

After having two infections (one on each hand) I use the Musky Armor gloves too. Easy to feel the fish and dry out quickly. They sell them in pairs as well.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/15/2007 4:43 PM (#284806 - in reply to #284786)

LOL! Gloves aren't for sissies, they're for people who have finally grown up enough to realize that having your hands all cut up really doesn't make you cool around your friends, it just kinda sucks!
muskellunged
Posted 11/15/2007 4:53 PM (#284810 - in reply to #284786)

I really like the Musky Armours, as well. I also think the Lindy Fish handling gloves are pretty good.
vanertski
Posted 11/15/2007 9:02 PM (#284854 - in reply to #284786)

jason, i can get you a couple pairs of mechanics gloves from work. they have no insulation value but they are pretty good at keeping your hands in one piece. Just tell me what size or sizes you want when I talk to you next

latah
esox50
Posted 11/15/2007 9:40 PM (#284865 - in reply to #284786)

Aside from tearing up my hands in gill rakers, the reason I bought a pair of gloves was to protect my hands against infections. Talk about painful. A deep cut from a raker doesn't really hurt (at first), but get one infected and BOOM, it sucks!

Forgot to mention that the gloves I've got (and the one's Reelwise is referring to) are the Musky Armours. I wouldn't want to put anything else in a fish's gill. Other gloves don't have that good grip and most are simply too bulky. The MA's are a perfect blend of durability and small diameter. I was skeptical of them at first since they just looked like golf gloves, but they are quite different. They dry fairly quickly too, so long as you have them on deck and don't tuck them into a non-vented storage container (after using them I usually velcro them around the throttle and let them air dry when moving to a new spot).

Mike,

Try 'em, dude! You'll like them. Although I could see where they'd be a hassle putting them on from shore. They also double as great fish handling gloves in the field, so they're a good tool to have in that respect. I tried them out this summer working with bluegills and smallies and my hands REALLY thanked me. I went a couple days without them and got infections from a few spine wounds. When I found them and started using them again I had no more problems the rest of the summer.

Edited by esox50 11/15/2007 10:38 PM
AWH
Posted 11/15/2007 11:09 PM (#284874 - in reply to #284786)

Not sure what you could do to the Musky Armor gloves to make them any better. I've always preferred to not use gloves because of the added control I feel like I have. But with the fit of the Musky Armor gloves, you don't lose any of that. The only thing I've lost is the amount of blood on my hands and in the boat! Just like a batting glove or a golf glove with the fit. The velcro gives you the option to velcro them to a cleat on your boat or anything of convenience so they can be out and ready to use whenever you catch a fish. Plus, they aren't going to blow out of the boat if you do that. Great gloves!

Aaron
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/15/2007 11:15 PM (#284875 - in reply to #284786)

Hey Sean,

I'll have to pick up a pair and try them. This summer I worked mainly with trout so I had no real worry of spines, but I can see how they would be tremendously valuable working with bluegills and those spiny creatures. I'm sure they are great for musky fishing as well, but I just truely enjoy holding the fish bare handed.

I'm not bashing the product or wearing gloves at all. I'll definately have to give them a try.
esox50
Posted 11/15/2007 11:54 PM (#284877 - in reply to #284786)

Mike,

Your post was sound, didn't interpret it as anything but your personal opinion. On occasion I will forget to not put the glove on and come home with "the knuckle." Still reminds me of "the good ole days". If I were you, I wouldn't go out and buy a pair just yet. When you get out in the boat with someone, see if they've got a pair you can try on for size, then make your decision. But like I said before, since most of your fishing is done from shore, you're probably better off without them as they take time to get out and put on. Gotta be quick landing these guys from shore, as you well know!

Here's a pic from a trip to LOTW before having the gloves. Here's also a pic of what can happen when you don't wear a glove (shut up Reelwise, I can hear you laughing from down here)... ouch, down close to the bone. Nice scar on my left hand index finger from that one.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P1000563.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1000563.JPG (111KB - 138 downloads)
Troyz.
Posted 11/16/2007 6:16 AM (#284883 - in reply to #284877)

J

Gloves are for girls, I do not like wearing when handling a fish except the latex in the fall. But after fishing with josh and seeing the advangtage of the linder glove I would always have a pair in the boat, they are not flexible as the musky armour, but they provide protection from teeth, hooks, we had a fish enhale a dawg josh simply put on the gloves and grabbed the upper and lower jaw a pried it open to let me get the hooks out, fish clamped on his hand not a nick in his finger, these are excellent release tool

Troyz
Grunt Lures
Posted 11/16/2007 6:37 AM (#284886 - in reply to #284786)

Lindy Glove is great!

(478707581.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 478707581.jpg (8KB - 159 downloads)
PIKEMASTER
Posted 11/16/2007 7:09 AM (#284892 - in reply to #284786)

Try a pair of Football Receiver Gloves, they are made from synthetic material, that drys fast and is very sticky when wet. Also they come in some wild colors.
gtp888
Posted 11/16/2007 7:09 AM (#284893 - in reply to #284786)

I have a Lindy left hand and use it all the time...as of the beginning of August this year that is. I had the glove for a long time, but never used it...til it was too late. My buddy caught his first musky this year (he just took it up this year) and I netted/handled the fish for him. I didn't even realize I had severely sliced my thumb on the fish until he noticed a stream of blood pouring out of my hand. Honest to God, I didn't feel a thing. I managed to stop the bleeding after a couple hours with good old fashioned white athletic tape. Since then, I've also had muskies throw 7/0 trebles into my gloved hand without incident or injury. Needless to say, I'll be getting the right hand Lindy too!! Bulky, yes, but I like the protection. I can handle a fish and/or tools with them just fine.
jonnysled
Posted 11/16/2007 7:16 AM (#284894 - in reply to #284786)

gloves in my boat are like sunglasses, rods with pounders (sorry andy), and other things that either get lost or fly out ... at menards you can get about 5 pair of gloves (the orange ones with the grippy rubber on them) for about 6 bucks ... they work great and having a bunch of them makes sure at least one is there when you need it.

the musky armor glove that the sissy brought with to canada was great too. if you just velcro close it to something in the boat maybe it won't get lost. i was hoping he'd forget it in the boat so i could have one cause i think buying a "musky glove" er uh ... chinese-made golf glove for that kind of money is silly.

wearing a glove while golfing ... now, that's a sissy ...
Scott
Posted 11/16/2007 8:04 AM (#284898 - in reply to #284786)

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...

These light, tight-fitting gloves from Campmor cost $7 or $8 and keep your hands warm enough in cold weather. I can tie knots while wearing them. And you can't beat the price. They dry quickly, I always go out with 2 or 3 pair. I've never gotten sliced when hand landing.
muskihntr
Posted 11/16/2007 8:04 AM (#284899 - in reply to #284786)

oh boy can i have some fun with this one...you mean like the gove your weain in this picture..

(r2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments r2.jpg (47KB - 144 downloads)
kjgmh
Posted 11/16/2007 8:39 AM (#284914 - in reply to #284786)

Took me a $600 ER bill to buy a pair of gloves. I bought a pair of Musky Armour this year and really like them. I wear them more because I am afraid of what the wife would do if I end up the ER again with a sliced finger..
Instigator
Posted 11/16/2007 8:48 AM (#284918 - in reply to #284786)

jason i have some gloves if you want to give them a try? pm me or call

jon
jonnysled
Posted 11/16/2007 8:52 AM (#284920 - in reply to #284786)

that picture looks photoshopped ... you removed the fish.
bn
Posted 11/16/2007 8:55 AM (#284921 - in reply to #284786)

Reefer, if we get out before the fat lady sings I'll bring my musky armours to try...
I think they are better than most
Reef Hawg
Posted 11/16/2007 4:03 PM (#284998 - in reply to #284786)

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess it sounds like the Armors are pretty darn good. I'll talk to Jeremy and Jon about getting some from them in the mean time. Dang finger is pounding pretty good right now... Prolly shouldn't have went back out fishing after the ER trip, to put a few more raker srapes on the other hand... fish were angry at me that day...... DOGGHH!!!
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/16/2007 4:30 PM (#285005 - in reply to #284786)

In my med kit I also have triple antibiotic with pain killer. Helps with the non-life threatening cuts
esox50
Posted 11/17/2007 11:30 AM (#285108 - in reply to #284998)

Reef Hawg - 11/16/2007 4:03 PM

Dang finger is pounding pretty good right now... Prolly shouldn't have went back out fishing after the ER trip, to put a few more raker srapes on the other hand... fish were angry at me that day...... DOGGHH!!!

A few more raker scrapes on the hands is ALWAYS a nice problem to have!!!!!
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/17/2007 11:58 AM (#285111 - in reply to #284786)

Just ordered my left glove from Cabelas. Figure I can use two or if I need help I can give one to a buddy. I have four guys go to Canada every year and of course I am the only one with a good med kit or equipment. We fish two boats but within radio or sight so it usually works out for us. Still need to get those boys up to speed on the emergency gear. I like to save and release pike way up North too and Gloves give you that extra confidence to do the job right and safe. JMO but get a good pair!