lowrance vs hummingbird
Big Dangler
Posted 11/12/2007 3:21 PM (#284249)
Subject: lowrance vs hummingbird

I am trying to decide between going with 10 inch lowarnce color unit using lake master pro maps or the hummingbird unit with navionics platinum map series. Also, matrix feature looks really nice on the hummingbird, is it a practical application? I'm buying for a boat on lotw only.
tcbetka
Posted 11/12/2007 7:23 PM (#284297 - in reply to #284249)
Subject: RE: lowrance vs hummingbird

Side Imaging.

Enough said.

TB
MoMuskieguy
Posted 11/13/2007 7:06 AM (#284338 - in reply to #284249)
Subject: Re: lowrance vs hummingbird

I have been using Lowrance for many years and have 3 color units on my current boat with NO problems at all. I have read where some people have had issues with theres and have been unhappy...that being said I have been EXTREMELY happy with mine. When it comes time to replace mine again I will seriously look into the Hummingbird unit and all there features verse what Lowrance has to offer at that time also... I believe hummingbird has stepped up the past couple of years and are producing a product now that is very very good. Its not something you can just jump into in my opinion. Whats good for one guy might not be for the next... so just look over what your needs are and what each unit has to offer.
tcbetka
Posted 11/13/2007 7:29 AM (#284343 - in reply to #284249)
Subject: RE: lowrance vs hummingbird

I have an X38 on the console, and a 332 on the bow. But this winter I will be adding a Humminbird unit next to the X38; mainly for the Side Imaging feature.

If you are fishing big water and looking for structure or baitfish (a form of structure in open water), then scanning a swath of 250-400 feet wide is much more efficient than looking at a 20-degree cone below the boat. Go to:

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/viewtopic.php?t=152

...or hit the Google group for Humminbird and read some of the posts, and then look at some of the images.

The technology the Humminbird now employees is way cool and will be extremely useful looking for fat chicks in open water.

TB