Seal Skinz Gloves
tmag
Posted 11/6/2007 1:56 PM (#283239)
Subject: Seal Skinz Gloves

Hey All,

I was wondering if there's anyone out there that uses Seal Skinz gloves? If so, I have a couple of questions:

-- Is the outside layer fish slime friendly? I have yet to find any close, form-fitting gloves that do not absorb / remove fish slime from the fish.

-- How much bulkier are the fleece-lined versions?

Thanks,

TC
Schuler
Posted 11/6/2007 4:26 PM (#283265 - in reply to #283239)
Subject: Re: Seal Skinz Gloves

I would say that they are most likely not slime friendly. If I need to hold a fish, I'll take them off. I wouldn't feel like I had a good grip without gloves. I can't speak on the fleece lining because mine are not. But they are pretty warm and are waterproof.
luredaddy
Posted 11/6/2007 4:40 PM (#283268 - in reply to #283239)
Subject: RE: Seal Skinz Gloves

I have used them for bowhunting and fishing. In my opinion, they are overrated. I have had better luck with the Atlas gloves, cotton back, blue rubber finger and palms that the brick layers use. They are about three dollars a pair here, and if you immediately change them when wet, they are fine. Just my opinion. They are also great to wear when you are fileting walleyes.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/6/2007 5:20 PM (#283274 - in reply to #283239)

One of my guests this weekend had a brand new pair. He stopped using them after a short time because even though it was pretty cool out he said his hands were sweating like crazy. I took a pretty close look at them and don't think the surface would have a significantly bad effect on fish slime. I'd like to try a pair as we get more into the cold weather conditions.
VMS
Posted 11/6/2007 6:02 PM (#283285 - in reply to #283239)

I have been using them for about 3 years now. I like them for fishing since they are tight fitting and the least restrictive of the gloves I have tried. They keep my hands warm enough when it's cold.

They are a knit outside, but it is very small and fine knit, so I feel that slime removal is minimal.

Setback...since the exterior is knit, they will catch hooks, and if a hook goes through, the glove will no longer be waterproof. Get them wet on the inside and they will do nothing for you.

I will continue to use them until I find something better. They are good enough for the use right now, though..

Steve
ToddM
Posted 11/6/2007 6:40 PM (#283292 - in reply to #283239)
Subject: RE: Seal Skinz Gloves

I second what VMS said. They won't last long at all if you handle a lure, even removing weeds. I use the polar ice gloves. They keep my hands warm and I just take them off to handle a fish.
VMS
Posted 11/6/2007 6:50 PM (#283295 - in reply to #283239)

How are those for handling rods and casting?