Trim switch on Yamaha thottle handle
Marshall
Posted 11/6/2007 10:52 AM (#283192)
Subject: Trim switch on Yamaha thottle handle

I took the boat for probably its last trip this year and noticed something a little funny while adjusting my trim. When I press the switch that is at the consle on the throttle in the down direction, it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Up works fine, and the switch that is on the actual motor cover works flawlessly. I am 99% sure that it is not the unit itself, but perhaps the switch. Has anyone had this problem or know if it is easlily replaceable without sending it in to the mechanic. It is a 2002 Vmax 225. Thanks for the help. To me it sounds like the switch may be going out, but I am not an electrician or a mechanic. I have not had anything apart yet to look at the wiring, would that be the first step?
jerkin
Posted 11/6/2007 2:43 PM (#283248 - in reply to #283192)
Subject: Re: Trim switch on Yamaha thottle handle

Probably the relay, not the switch. I've never had it happen but hear about a lot of other people that had it go out. I think there is one for each switch but I couldn't tell you more than that. Do a google search for yamaha trim relay and I'll bet you find something.
Shep
Posted 11/6/2007 3:45 PM (#283256 - in reply to #283248)

My guess is the switch down contacts are worn or dirty. You could try some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack, and spray it in the switch contact. That is, if you can get to them. Otherwise, a visit to your local Yammy parts man is in order. Not sure if you can get just the switch to replace.

If it was the relay, then you'd see the same problem from the cowl mounted switch.
jtroop
Posted 11/7/2007 10:45 AM (#283416 - in reply to #283192)

I had this happen on a 1990 Johnson. The wires inside the throttle lever were not well protected. One wire inside the lever (leading up to the thumb button) had been severed down by the lever fulcrum/pivot just from normal use over the years.
Seth
Posted 11/27/2007 3:53 PM (#286497 - in reply to #283192)
Subject: RE: Trim switch on Yamaha thottle handle

I am having the exact same problem with mine on an 04 Yamaha. It is in the shop getting repaired because I could not figure out what was wrong. It is still under warranty so, I'll let them fix it. I'll post what was wrong when I get it back.
Marshall
Posted 11/28/2007 9:21 AM (#286605 - in reply to #283192)

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to the news.
Marshall
Posted 1/22/2008 11:46 AM (#295465 - in reply to #283192)

Seth,
Did you ever get your trim switch problem fixed? What was the culprit? I am taking mine to the shop in a couple weeks.

Thanks.
smellslikebass
Posted 1/22/2008 12:26 PM (#295473 - in reply to #283192)

My trim on the tiller works fine but my trim on the side honks the horn. not a good fish catching sound, Looks like I have some wiring to do. I did get stuck in nutral this year. I think it was the nutral relay or something like that. Has this happened to anyone else?