roll of gauze
duct tape
Rolled rubber touniquet
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

VMS
Posted 11/6/2007 9:10 AM (#283169)
Subject: First Aid Kits

Let's create a "Darn (or post your own word) it" boxes via poll.
I'll start a list, and people can vote on what should be in it, and others can add in items that may have been missed. You will be able to vote (if you choose) for multiple items in this, but it will create a list we should all have in our kits...and the vote should prioritize the list as well...

Please keep any additions to items that non-medical people can purchase.

This will be the first aide box...I'll put a few items on it, but many will be added as this goes.

Might be interesting to see who has come up with various "fixes" for things.

sorenson
Posted 11/6/2007 9:31 AM (#283174 - in reply to #283169)
Subject: Re: Since we are on the subject of safety..... FIRST AIDE KIT

I don't know about the kits for the boat, but a portable de-fribulator might be in order for the outings...I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a while in Presque Isle. I know I quit breathing for a bit.
S.
sworrall
Posted 11/6/2007 1:10 PM (#283224 - in reply to #283169)

This subject was covered a while back in great detail. last year one of our regulars developed a kit that is perfect, even waterproof. Not sure if Todd has any left, but I'm sure he will see this and respond!

Sorno, you quit making any sense for a few minutes, the breathing thing explains it.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/6/2007 3:25 PM (#283254 - in reply to #283224)

Two essentials that I carry:

1. Neosporin
2. Nu-skin

But then when the inevitable hook injury happens, I usually just look down and say "$^%&, I'm bleedin..." rinse it off in the lake and keep on fishing.

figures, doesn't it?
TForcier
Posted 11/7/2007 8:49 PM (#283567 - in reply to #283169)

As Steve mentioned we’ve covered this topic in the past. However, I do enjoy talking about it.
Far as First Aid Kits I believe I’ve got a VERY good one out. Through research and guidance from two medical doctors, one who is licensed in Wilderness Medicine.
The Sportsman’s First Aid Kit contains everything you’ll need to stabilize an injury.
Three styles of band aids, two styles of tape (one being water proof), alcohol and Iodine wipes, two styles of bandages and gauze and many more items.

Neosporin contains an ingredient that large populations of people are allergic to. That’s why Hydrocortisone is a better choice.

I am selling these kits for $85 and as Steve said, they are waterproof.

A lot of guys from this site already have them.

For more in or to purchase one feel free to pm me.

Thanks,
Todd
lambeau
Posted 11/7/2007 9:37 PM (#283571 - in reply to #283169)
Subject: Re: First Aid Kits

i've got one of Todd's kits, it's come in very handy (unfortunately!) on a number of occasions.
i believe it's worth investing a bit extra money in a quality first aid kit - not a place to skimp!
Whoolligan
Posted 11/7/2007 9:50 PM (#283572 - in reply to #283169)
Subject: RE: First Aid Kits

I also carry some sutures, as well as a 30round closure gun. I used to carry lidocaine, but learned that it has some reactive properties.
tcbetka
Posted 11/8/2007 5:59 AM (#283598 - in reply to #283567)

Hydrocortisone is a topical steroid, not an antibiotic. If you aren't going to carry Neosporin because of potential allergic reaction (not a problem if you use it only for a limited time, IMO), then you can always carry Bacitracin.

Neosporin contains three antibiotics--Neomycin, Polymxin B and Bacitracin. In many people, Neomycin can indeed cause an allergic reaction--but in my experience as a wound care physician, this doesn't occur until a person has used it for several days. Just using it for a few days is probably not an issue. The reason they put three antibiotics in the same ointment is because there are different types of bacteria out there, and Bacitracin alone may not cover them all. But if you have a normal immune system, it may not be an issue.

So if you want to carry an antibiotic ointment that isn't Neosporin, carry Bacitracin...not hydrocortisone. Carrying a topical steroid like 1% hydrocortisone is fine for certain things--for example nasty insect bites, or other rashes you might encounter while on a trip. But for open wounds, an antibiotic ointment is better. Incidentally, Neosporin is a trade name for Johnson & Johnson's product, and there are generic forms available. Anything that says "Triple Antibiotic Ointment" is very likely the same thing, marketed by another company.

Finally, you can get either product with a topical anesthetic mixed in. One such chemical is Pramocaine, a cousin of Lidocaine and Novocaine. This additive is helpful to relieve pain along with the antibacterial effects. Just look for "Triple Antibiotic PLUS" or something like that.

Sorry for the technical jargon in this post, but as topical steroids like hydrocortisone can actually *suppress* a person's immune response, we shouldn't encourage them to use it in lieu of an antibiotic ointment when treating an open wound.

TB (MD)

Edited by tcbetka 11/8/2007 11:52 AM