Sorno, What do you think?
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2007 7:52 AM (#282807)
Subject: Sorno, What do you think?

What do you think the Western States will do if VHS shows up in Glendo in Wyoming, or any other waters out there? Lake Erie walleye trips are pretty common for walleye anglers across the country; I wonder how far the virus can travel in a bilge. I got to pondering this thinking about all the fishing boats moving about the country.

What about Minnesota? A Great Lake to deal with ( do you think since VHS has a foothold in some Great Lakes locations it will inexorably spread throughout?) and a world class smallmouth bass fishery, good muskies, and great walleyes there drawing anglers, any biologists/scientists from there want to venture a guess as to what the state of MN is going to do?
sorenson
Posted 11/4/2007 2:33 PM (#282835 - in reply to #282807)
Subject: Re: Sorno, What do you think?

Many of the western states have already imposed a ban on the importation of fish from any of the Great Lakes States. That, however, only takes care of the movement via fish. I would be more surprised if it DIDN'T show up somewhere in the west given the extremely mobile nature of our society. Many states, Utah included, have implemented Aquatic Nuisance Species control measures. Right now, these are largely comprised of some half-baked education effort; in other words, not much substantive action is being taken, mostly lip service and 'sky is falling' rhetoric.
Quite frankly, I'm not sure much can be done once it shows up. Many of the western states historically have not been all that worried about fish diseases since much of the resource (trout - based) has been dependent upon stocking; now that there are many wild stock fisheries supported by natural reproduction, the deck has been re-shuffled and 'advanced worrying management' has again become a popular pastime...
S.
sworrall
Posted 11/6/2007 8:05 AM (#283162 - in reply to #282807)
Subject: Re: Sorno, What do you think?

I think that's been the reaction over here too.