leader construction info wanted
davidd
Posted 10/30/2007 6:51 PM (#281934)
Subject: leader construction info wanted

Any good how to's on leader construction out there? I am looking for straight-forward tips on matching lengths to the right conditions, what size snaps, swivels, crimps are appropriate/compatible. Different types that are appropriate for varying bait styles and fishing techniques etc etc. Pro's and cons of various designs maybe?

Basically a Musky leader clinic....
muskie! nut
Posted 10/30/2007 7:19 PM (#281945 - in reply to #281934)
Subject: Re: leader construction info wanted

If you want info on Single Strand? I have a two page how to in a pdf format I can email you. Contact me at [email protected].
tcbetka
Posted 10/31/2007 3:28 PM (#282172 - in reply to #281934)
Subject: RE: leader construction info wanted

Here are some links I dug up while learning about making leaders last winter...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sconnell/MuskyLeader.htm

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

There should be enough there to get you started.

I tried tying knots using 100 pound fluorocarbon, but ultimately settled on crimping using double-barreled sleeves. They work great, but you have to be careful not to over-crimp the ends and weaken the material. I also use two crimp sleeves on each end, just for added safety.

I should also say that I primarily use 135-pound nylon coated 7-strand steel materials. I bought a couple 1000-foot rolls on ebay for a ridiculously low price, and have been using that to make my trolling leaders. As I have been primarily fishing in lower Green Bay and the Fox River (Secchi disk is 1 foot!), transparency in leader material isn't real high on the priority list. Therefore the 7-strand stuff works great, and it holds crimps extraordinarily well. I use Berkley #8 ball bearing swivels and a stainless ring on the other end--then use the Bucher super split-rings in lieu of snaps at the terminal end. I haven't used a snap for muskies for some time.

TB

davidd
Posted 10/31/2007 8:23 PM (#282252 - in reply to #281934)
Subject: RE: leader construction info wanted

As I have begun to organize and clean from this past season I realized that this part of my fishing arsenal is the least understood and for me the most overlooked. That said when I would apply a little common sense to my set ups it seemed that matching the rod/line/leader/bait system up properly ended up in much better results! I inevitably end up with goofy setups as I get bait switching disease and just plain laziness creeps in.

I think that building leaders and getting some clearer understanding of this obvioulsy critical link in the presentation would be very beneficial.

Thanks for the links TB - that is exactly what type of stuff I was looking for.
muskie! nut
Posted 10/31/2007 9:40 PM (#282259 - in reply to #281934)

Hey davidd, do I have to fill out the automatic reply for you to get my email???
muskynightmare
Posted 10/31/2007 10:32 PM (#282269 - in reply to #281934)

I am against seven-strand-type leaders. here is why:

Ever had a fish roll up on one of these? she came out looking like she was a perch in her mouth- all sliced up. The only hurt we, as musky heads, ever want to put on these fish is the humiliation of a picture with us holding her, right? ok, a sore mouth happens, because she was silly enough to bite on some of the baits we threw at her that look like nothing that actually is food.

Folks, Flouro is a welcome option to our craft. in this day and age of Repo's (especially what Lax is doing now), do we want to kill our next fish? Not this cat.

Please consider Flouro, and even 150# nylon as an alternavie to sevenstrand-type leaders/ sucker rigs. Make them famous in a picture, and/ or a rep.

lambeau
Posted 11/1/2007 9:07 AM (#282315 - in reply to #281934)

Dave,

you should consider coming down to the Madison Muskie Inc chapter's annual "Muskie School".
every year there are "mini-classes" during lunch on how to build leaders with fluoro, wire, and 7-strand. you can get hands-on practice under the guidance of people who know what they're doing.
there are also all kinds of different classes through the day to match your interests, including one every year on trolling techniques by local experts.

it's March 8th this year at Waunakee High School just outside Madison. if you're back from AZ by then you should come down for the day. usually about $35 or so, and includes lunch.
Ranger
Posted 11/4/2007 6:02 AM (#282791 - in reply to #281934)

I make my own, have been for years. All have Stringease Snaps and high quality swivels.

240# Straight Wire for glide baits. 12" for monster baits, 9" for the rest.

80# Climax Flouro for almost all other applications. About 12".

65# SevenStrand braided wire for jig/creatures. About 14", double crimped to a swivel on one side and the jig on the other.

About 100# braided SevenStrand for dragging suckers or bullheads, I make my own quick-strike rigs.

I love flouro; never had a single failure and think of the downtime saved because I don't have to replace kinked leaders.

Rollie/Helens sells a cool tool called a Du-Bro E/Z Twist. Perfect for making stright wire leaders. The kit was a waste of money for me because I don't use the thin wire or the snaps that came with it. Just get the $13.99 tool and some 174# wire. Those are on pages 121 and 124 of the 2007 R&H Catelog.