Suzy VS Sue
curleytail
Posted 10/17/2007 10:33 AM (#279925)
Subject: Suzy VS Sue

It sounds like the Suzy Suckers and Curley Sues are the way to go for soft plastic baits these days.
I was wondering what makes you guys use one versus the other. Do they fish at different depths, one faster or slower, one more arratic etc.

It seems like more guys are using the Sucker in Fall where more guys used the Curley Sue this summer. Any reason for that? Are most guys using the shallow or deep models?

Also, durability aside, how does the Curley Sue compare to Bull Dawgs as far as action and working depth/speed?

I know there are a lot of questions here. Don't feel like you have to sit and write a novel answering everything. Just looking to get an idea of what these baits are like.

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 10/17/2007 10:34 AM
AWH
Posted 10/17/2007 12:02 PM (#279939 - in reply to #279925)
Subject: Re: Suzy VS Sue

I had a chance to throw them both (11" version) for the first time on Saturday. Awesome baits! The Suzy Sucker has a great action to it. The whole body does a little shimmy on the retrieve. The 11" Curly Sue is my favorite of the two, more just due to personal preference, I don't really have a solid reason for it after just one day on the water. I was able to work the Curly with a little more erratic action, which might be why I liked it better. (The fact that I caught a very nice fish on it probably didn't hurt either!) I would say that the Curly will run just slightly deeper. But you can ride them fairly high too depending on your retrieve. Durability? Outstanding for a plastic bait! The one I was using was someone else's Curly and it had seen a bunch of time in the water and it had caught 5 muskies. You sure couldn't tell that by looking at it. Still in great shape. The only "defect" after this was on one of the side fins that don't matter to the action of the bait. It was near the point of falling off. That bait has many many more fish in it. It's a soft plastic bait, but much harder in comparison to the plastic of a bulldawg.

Aaron

Edited by AWH 10/17/2007 12:05 PM
muskynightmare
Posted 10/18/2007 7:59 AM (#280069 - in reply to #279925)
Subject: Re: Suzy VS Sue

Each have their time and place. The Curly sue does not need as much speed to get the tail going as the Suzy. The Suzy, however, throws more vibration with its paddle tail. Buy both.

Shallow vs. Sinking:
Again, each have their time and place. Shallow is great for smoking over the weeds, Sinking for working the deep weed edge, deep reefs, etc.
curleytail
Posted 10/19/2007 10:23 AM (#280265 - in reply to #279925)
Subject: RE: Suzy VS Sue

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a bait I'll need to pick up for next year. Muskynightmare, I was afraid that somebody would reply like you did, and tell me I need models of each. I knew it was inevitable that I would "have" to buy more than one.

curleytail
ArmPit
Posted 10/19/2007 10:57 AM (#280271 - in reply to #280265)
Subject: RE: Suzy VS Sue

You can never have enough of either one! lol