Quick Strike Blues
Yake Bait
Posted 10/15/2007 10:25 PM (#279717)
Subject: Quick Strike Blues

I'm 0 for 3 (1 for 4 if you count a 31" northern that I caught) on the quick strike rigs so far this month and getting aggrevated by the hooking percentage on these things. First one was a case of not ripping the rig free from the sucker and the fish spit it out next to the boat. Second hit the sucker like a freight train, then when I set the hook, somehow the hardware didn't sink in to anything. I call this the "ghost set". The third, the fish shook it's head next to the boat and didn't run and somehow got loose.

These things are a love hate relationship as far as I am concerned. They provide action that you might otherwise miss on lazy followers that wont convert on casted baits, but man I'd like to get a few more in the net.

I've been usign a home made version of the lift-off rig with one of the barbs bent straight to pin into the sucker. I do my best to set when I think the fish is heading away from the boat. Also setting hard this year to rip the rig free. I am settign inside of a minute, but hate to wait longer for fear the fish will turn the sucker into it's gullett. Had the same trouble last year. In 2005 which was the first year I tried live bait, I was more successful for some reason but can't seem to duplicate results.

Would appreciate any advice from more successful quick strikers.  Also would be interested in what my expectations should be, 50%, 75%...

Pete

sworrall
Posted 10/15/2007 10:40 PM (#279719 - in reply to #279717)
Subject: RE: Quick Strike Blues

This rig works very well. Easy to set up, easy to build. Good hooking percentage, too.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37...
Bytor
Posted 10/16/2007 1:54 PM (#279785 - in reply to #279719)

I use a lift off (rubber band) type rig as well with 2 high quality 3/0 hooks (4x).
I ended up with 16 fish in the net last fall on QS suckers. I had 20 hook set opportunities. Two of the four that I missed where hooked but they threw the hook after an extended battle, so I hooked 90% of the fish.

Hook placement: I always put both hooks on the top of the sucker, one in between the head and the dorsal fin and the other near the rear of the dorsal.

Setting the hook: I do this as quick as possible. I don't clear lines, I just get to it as fast as I can and if it is moving I set in the opposite direction that the fish is moving.

When the fish picks it up and doesn't move I apply pressure to get it to move. By pulling the fish up in the water column, it will either move or drop the sucker. If it drops it, they often come back and pick it up again. I do this because I do not want the fish to sit still and chew on that sucker. If you let them do that bad things will happen. The musky can chew the hook into the sucker and it won't pull free or it can knock the hook free which will result in a swing and a miss. If you set without the fish moving you will hook a very low percentage.

When I set I reel up the slack with my rod at about an 11 o'clock position, right before I set I lower my rod tip so that it is parallel to the water, then I set with everything that I have. The little bit of slack that gets created by this maneuver creates a snap in the line that will pull the hooks free from the sucker with much greater force than just setting hard.

Getting to the rod ASAP and keeping a level head while the adrenaline is rushing through your body is the key. I prefer 12" suckers, with the jumbo versions you have a lot greater chance of not having one of your hooks in the muskies mouth when you set.

If you do everything right you should hook 75% of them...IMO. Don't give up on it just because you miss some. Done correctly it is a very safe (for the fish) method as I always hook them right in the corner of the mouth.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Edited by Bytor 10/16/2007 2:00 PM
Yake Bait
Posted 10/16/2007 7:01 PM (#279830 - in reply to #279785)

Good info and much appreciated. One of the biggest things that I am not doing is leaving some slack in the line before setting, I have been doing this under tension and often am surprised to see that the rubber band does not break and this is a good explanation why. Some momentum before you get tension could make a big difference and I will definately incorporate this into the next hookset. My rigging is very similar to what you describe.

Thanks!