Holcombe Flowage?
lots of luck
Posted 10/2/2007 3:45 PM (#277745)
Subject: Holcombe Flowage?

I appear to be going on a fishing trip with a fellow co-worker and some of his friends staying on the Holcombe Flowage the weekend of Oct. 19th-21. I plan on muskie fishing primarily, not sure what the other guys going know or if they even are muskie fishermen. We are staying on the east side north of a christian camp.

Any pointers or suggestions for me on where to start? Or do any of you have experience on the Holcombe Flowage?

Have been looking at an aerial image and have talked a little with my buddy and understand a little about some of the main components. I understand there is the Flambeau, Main and Jump Rivers flowing in, bridges, a stump field, some floating bogs in a bay, and much more.

Thanks in advance of any help you may be able to provide me.
Whoolligan
Posted 10/2/2007 4:13 PM (#277747 - in reply to #277745)
Subject: Re: Holcombe Flowage?

There's a large flat west of the bridge, if you are going to fish suckers, hit the breaks there, not sure what the weeds are like right now. It's produced in the past for me. fishing around the islands, hitting the breaks from 6-10' of water with suicks, bucktails and Gliders has also been good for me mid-late fall.
cjmuskie
Posted 10/3/2007 8:37 AM (#277848 - in reply to #277745)
Subject: RE: Holcombe Flowage?

That time of year fishing suckers around the Musky Islands is a great option. It is a great topwater lake, I have also had success running bright colored gliders and Jakes on some of the deeper break lines. If anything try to stay near the creek/river channels. Good luck fishing the flowage.
lots of luck
Posted 10/3/2007 9:42 AM (#277863 - in reply to #277848)

Having never sucker fished, I will probably just stick to casting.

Thanks for the great ideas so far.
crw5380
Posted 10/3/2007 10:53 AM (#277890 - in reply to #277745)

I live in the Lake Holcombe area and have been out a few times in the past week, but have had little success. However, other people I have been talking with have been having good success fishing.

From what I have been hearing, double bladed bucktails are the way to go right now. Usually black and red/orange are really good colors for the flowage, but people who have been using chartreuse are doing well. In the past I have used wobblers and topper-stoppers with a lot of success as well.

One other area you might want to try is on the Northwest side of the lake where the Chippewa River flows into the lake. There is a park called "Sportsmen's Park". There is a large weed flat about 50-70 yards offshore to the south-south east of the park. A guy I fish with has a brother who has a place on the lake, and he has been fishing this area consistently over the past two weeks with a lot of luck. In that period he has landed 8 fish over 40", the biggest being 48.5". He also lost one right next to the boat that was mid 50's" fish.

The bite has been stronger in the later evening, with larger fish being caught right at, or just after, dark.

Hope this has been helpful and best of luck!

I will be out numerous times over the next couple of weeks, so I will try and give you some regular updates on what I have been catching and what I have been hearing.
lots of luck
Posted 10/3/2007 12:36 PM (#277905 - in reply to #277890)

Sir,

Thank you very much for your report. You're giving me a lot of hope. I don't need to catch fish for it to be a successful trip, but it sure would be nice to have a chance. Look forward to seeing some of your reports and experiences over the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Jason Roberts
Jono
Posted 10/3/2007 10:01 PM (#277993 - in reply to #277745)

holcombe is the best muskie lake in this area. Like said here before - gliders, suicks, bucktails and topwaters all work good. If you find crappies in the channels, try running bulldawgs deeper. Meat would be a good idea although water temps still need to come down a bit for it to really take off. Since you will be there in a few weeks, I would expect temps to be down and the sucker bite good. To add to what's been said here already: consider trolling. Try 8" Jakes @ 3-4 mph and keep them high in the 10'-12' range to keep yourself out of the wood. Troll in the 12' - 20' f.o.w. range. bring a lure retriever!

good luck,
Jono

acarrell
Posted 10/4/2007 12:00 PM (#278039 - in reply to #277993)

Jono - 10/3/2007 10:01 PM

Bring a lure retriever!

Ain't that the truth! I'm the other guy going on this trip with lots of luck. Great info here guys, and I'm excited to try a few more spots and techniques. I've definitely got my favorite spots since I've been there 3 years in a row now, but I am by no means an experienced muskie fisherman whatsoever. I don't think 3-4 times a year qualifies me for that.

Thanks for the heads up and any other hints & suggestions are very welcome!

We'll be sure and post some pictures of what we get in the boat too!
Esox Man
Posted 10/4/2007 8:14 PM (#278133 - in reply to #277745)

I was on the flowage Sunday for half a day [ AM]. Two new concrete ramps have just been installed at the Pine Point county park. Saw 3 fish, and briefly had 1 on. Fished around nearby islands. Water temps in low 60s.
Juhas
Posted 10/4/2007 8:36 PM (#278139 - in reply to #277745)

Is it true that the DNR has started to draw water off the flowage in order to pre-empt a very wet winter? I heard the water was already down almost two feet.
Chris
acarrell
Posted 10/8/2007 3:38 PM (#278627 - in reply to #278139)

Juhas - 10/4/2007 8:36 PM

Is it true that the DNR has started to draw water off the flowage in order to pre-empt a very wet winter? I heard the water was already down almost two feet.
Chris

Can anyone confirm this? This could greatly affect a few of my habits while in the area, especially docking (very shallow bay). It would really be a shame if they've lowered it that far already, cause that really changes some of the good weed beds that I'm familiar with.

Only a week and a half before I'll be out there haulin' the big one in! (I hope)
Whoolligan
Posted 10/9/2007 8:20 PM (#278811 - in reply to #277745)

I was on the flowage on Sun. While it is a touch low, it is higher than it was in July. The rain has really helped with that. They were letting water out, but I don't think it will be enough to pre-empt a good trip. We had a decent half day on the lake, and would have been able to get more fish to commit given more time. We were just throwing the wrong things in front of them for the first portion of the day.
lots of luck
Posted 10/11/2007 11:23 AM (#279084 - in reply to #278811)

Can anyone suggest any little bars or bait shops near the lake that are worth a visit? Any hidden little gems in the area, always kind of fun to find a place like this on vacation. Is there any place on the lake that a guy could dock the boat and have a burger and beer for lunch, while still looking the part of a fisherman?

Thanks,
Jason Roberts
Posted 10/11/2007 11:56 AM (#279093 - in reply to #279084)

big swedes and pine drive are great spots. good bars with pull-up docks.
Whoolligan
Posted 10/11/2007 12:00 PM (#279094 - in reply to #277745)

Pine Drive is a gerat little joint, as is eastbay. I think they both have a website, too.
MuskieMedic
Posted 10/11/2007 11:13 PM (#279186 - in reply to #277745)

Eastbay has really good food. I believe Tuesdays is burger bar and Wednesdays are Taco bar.
tile guy
Posted 10/15/2007 7:38 PM (#279687 - in reply to #277745)

I've been up there that weekend a few times and have not had much luck buying suckers. Does anyone know the availability of suckers this year in Holcombe or is there another place to get them. Terry
cjmuskie
Posted 10/16/2007 8:52 AM (#279753 - in reply to #277745)

The best way to get suckers in the area if you know you are going to be around is to order a week ahead of time. The bait trucks come around once a week and most places will keep and hold suckers for you.
Juhas
Posted 10/22/2007 5:28 AM (#280654 - in reply to #277745)

Just got back from Holcome. Could not believe the ability of other boaters and fisherman to be unaware of others fishing!!! One spot east of the silver bridge we had 4-5 boats cut us off fishing a flat where you could reach out and touch them. This one knob in a blue and white Nitro made it look like he was doing it on purpose. Will never fish this lake again!!

You know this really gets me going regarding fishing pressure. It's always nice to be able to post and brag but lets leave the where's out.
Chris
Jono
Posted 10/22/2007 10:12 AM (#280683 - in reply to #277745)

Welcome to Holcombe Juhas. I've been cut off a lot of times, some people don't have manners out there. I've had people see me catch a fish and then motor to the exact spot I caught it and camp there. Made me glad though. they're too stupid to figure it out for themselves so they follow others around. they stayed put; chasing yesterday's news. two less idiots moving around on the lake.

I like when the pontoons drive over the weedbed you are fishing and they wave to you like it's a parade. It is a parade, a parade of dunces and they are the grand marshals. But you know what? the fish don't care so keep chuckin.

For some reason, this lake really has a lot of idiots. Every year there are wonderful stories of speed boats v. pontoons. The only reason anyone survives the crashes is because they are all too drunk to realize they are in danger.

Jono

curleytail
Posted 10/22/2007 10:31 AM (#280689 - in reply to #277745)

I thought Lake Wissota was bad with recreational traffic until I fished Holcombe. Wow is about all I can say to that. I Just pulled into a spot one day and was backing my boat up a bit (tiller boat), when a guy in a big ski boat came by at about half throttle (perfect for giant waves) maybe 10 yards away. I hadn't made a cast yet and got about 10 gallons of water over the transom and on me. And then there was the pontoon about 2 rod lengths away, in three feet of water. I held my hands up with a "what are you thinking look" at them, and they looked a little confused and waved.

And then, and then...

I think next year I will make a sign that says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO MY BOAT" and stick it in an empty pedistal base, lol.

But I will agree with Jono. I've had a pontoon or ski boat run over 4 feet of water in front of me and catch a fish shortly after. I wouldn't ask anybody to do it, but having somebody run a spot over doesn't always mean you can't still catch fish there.

Lots of Luck, how did you guys do out there?

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 10/22/2007 10:34 AM
lots of luck
Posted 10/22/2007 12:43 PM (#280712 - in reply to #280689)

Edit: Double Post

Edited by lots of luck 10/22/2007 12:51 PM
lots of luck
Posted 10/22/2007 12:49 PM (#280713 - in reply to #280689)

Curleytail and everyone that was kind enough to help us out,

We arrived Thursday night and came home Sunday afternoon.

I ended up with three small muskies, (30.5", 30.25", and 29.75") but very happy with my results considering I have never fished on this lake or a flowage in my life.

We threw everything presentation wise we had at them and the jerkbait was the clear winner. I got 2 on my 10" weighted walleye patterned suick and 1 on a weighted perch patterned burt. Even the pike came on these two baits. Fish wanted nothing to do with hair and topwater for us. All three ate within a time window one hour either side of noon. As far as follows I swear we didn't have one, but I am not used to fishing stained water. As the trip went on and I wore down my figure eight technique diminished or failed to even exist. I concentrated on my pinpoint casting and lure working technique. OK I admit I got lazy.

Everyone, ok, almost everyone was dragging suckers around behind the boat on a bobber. We were not, I have no experience doing this, but now I am very interested in trying.

I was in awe of the lakes beauty, size, and complexity. I also met some really nice and outgoing people in our camp and look forward to sharing a trip like this with them again.

Water temps were 54.5 in the main lake body and 52.5 or so up the Chippewa River.

I'll attach a few pics of the trip.

The bonus was the Fall color.

acarrell
Posted 10/22/2007 1:00 PM (#280715 - in reply to #280713)

Well, Lots of Luck definitely out-fished me when it comes to muskies, despite fishing together the entire weekend, however I had my share of luck as well. The only remarkable fish I caught was a very nice smallmouth, which was quite unique.

You can see it below, but the fish was exactly 18" long, yet it weighed in at 4lbs 7oz! It was quite the hog, and I can safely say it was the fattest fish I have ever seen in my life, relative to its length anyways. A true "football" by description. Pretty neat fish, but other than that, there were 2 small northern, another decent smallmouth (15") and a 12" walleye on a depthraider!! Not a single muskie in the boat for me, but I can't say I didn't have my chance. Our first morning out (in the rain), lots of luck had a nice boil behind a walk the dog lure, and my throwback got its attention, unfortunately i pulled the lure right of this one's mouth when it hit next to the boat. Itchy trigger finger that time around, but I'm still ready to head back that way in the spring.

Thanks for all the good info guys, and hopefully everyone else can have some good times up there. We sure enjoyed it!

P.S. The fish seem to eat during our typical lunchtime near noon! They've got the schedule figured out, lol. And who ever said the guy in the front of the boat catches the most fish?!

Edited by acarrell 10/22/2007 1:01 PM
lots of luck
Posted 10/22/2007 1:08 PM (#280716 - in reply to #280654)

Juhas - 10/22/2007 6:28 AM

Just got back from Holcome. Could not believe the ability of other boaters and fisherman to be unaware of others fishing!!! One spot east of the silver bridge we had 4-5 boats cut us off fishing a flat where you could reach out and touch them. This one knob in a blue and white Nitro made it look like he was doing it on purpose. Will never fish this lake again!!

You know this really gets me going regarding fishing pressure. It's always nice to be able to post and brag but lets leave the where's out.
Chris

Juhas,

Not sure what to tell you. It can be frustrating when some one cuts you off or a recreational boater does something boneheaded. It is just going to happen. My advice would be to let it go and fish on. Don't let something like this ruin your day of fishing.

Since I was a newbie and didn't understand much about the lake I was amazed when we came around the corner to see all the boats in the Silver Bridge area. It appears to be a busy area do to boat traffic and a popular destination with walleye anglers. We simply pulled up trolling motor and found a shoreline away from the traffic. I fish Tonka regularly and I was not about to fish in Tonka like conditions around the Silver bridge. Way too much other fishy looking water on that system.

Too much water and potential to not come back and fish the flowage again. Give it another shot, I know I can't wait to get back and try some new techniques and locations.

I also want to say it was enjoyable to talk to locals fishing also. Sometimes I have a heck of a time just to get someone to look me in the eyes or to get a wave in the metro. I talked to a number of individuals on the water and at the landing. Thanks for the hospitality.
tile guy
Posted 10/23/2007 10:13 PM (#281008 - in reply to #277745)

It was nice to spend time at camp with you guys. You can tell by your pictures and clothes how each day got nicer out. I dragged suckers for two days without any action. On Sunday we did have about a 45 on with a bucktail and about a 40 hit my sons top dancer within 10 minute of each other. It must have been part of that feeding window. A lot of the boats do seem to go out of there way to get in you way there. We were fishing in a bay and two boats came within casting of us and when we were working a shoreline, a walleye fisherman cut in front of us and went along the shoreline on his way to another spot. It seemed as if he wanted to just ruin our shoreline. Weird.
acarrell
Posted 9/11/2008 1:51 PM (#335730 - in reply to #280716)

Well, I'm gonna revive this forum since I already pointed it out regarding that other thread. We never did post pictures from last year, so here those are. The 3 muskies (in the order they were caught, check out that weather!) that lots of luck listed above, and my smallmouth as well as some nice fall color.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone had been up there much this summer or during this current cool-down. It doesn't seem to pertain much by mid-October when we'll be there, but its always nice to hear of any change in the forage especially with this strange year we've had thus far. Hope everyone has been hittin' em hard! Thanks guys.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Jason 30.5in Holcombe 10-19-07_320.jpg)

(Jason 30.25in Holcombe 10-20-07_320.jpg)

(Jason 29.75in Holcombe 10-21-07_320.jpg)

(Aaron 18in 4lb7oz Holcombe 10-19-07_320.jpg)

(Scenery Panoramic (Dual Display)_800.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jason 30.5in Holcombe 10-19-07_320.jpg (92KB - 298 downloads)
Attachments Jason 30.25in Holcombe 10-20-07_320.jpg (124KB - 333 downloads)
Attachments Jason 29.75in Holcombe 10-21-07_320.jpg (98KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments Aaron 18in 4lb7oz Holcombe 10-19-07_320.jpg (191KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments Scenery Panoramic (Dual Display)_800.jpg (138KB - 233 downloads)
lambeau
Posted 9/15/2008 12:53 PM (#336250 - in reply to #277745)

i'll be up there next weekend for the first time ever, staying at Paradise Shores as part of the Tuffy Boats Get-together.

i've got a couple of spots identified to focus on, will probably do a mix of casting the breaks on the edges of the flats and trolling some channels. i may try and get ahold of some suckers before heading up, we'll see how that goes. i'll let you know how we do when we get back.

anyone have some last-minute suggestions?
bobtodd
Posted 9/15/2008 7:13 PM (#336300 - in reply to #277745)

That smallie is ridiculous....lol. Nice fish!
Posted 9/16/2008 6:57 PM (#336445 - in reply to #277745)

The bloom on Holcombe has been as bad as I've ever seen. This past weekends tournament didn't show Holcombe as the class A water the state says it is. Very disapointed with my time there these past two years, and am thinking Dairyland might be a better choice when I go up again.

Bill Wesinpuder
acarrell
Posted 9/29/2008 11:15 AM (#338316 - in reply to #336250)

How'd you guys end up doing at that Tuffy get-together? Wondering if that bloom has calmed down a little bit. I'm assuming based on this weather that when I'll be there in 2.5 weeks the water won't be nearly as cold as usual. Should be a good time!
Jono
Posted 10/1/2008 12:11 PM (#338766 - in reply to #277745)

To Bill's comment...38 fish were caught out of holcombe during the muskies inc. tournament with biggest a pair of 47s.

Jono

lots of luck
Posted 10/1/2008 2:45 PM (#338799 - in reply to #338766)

Jono - 10/1/2008 1:11 PM

To Bill's comment...38 fish were caught out of holcombe during the muskies inc. tournament with biggest a pair of 47s.

Jono

Is this information posted online? Tournament results I guess is what I am asking.
Jono
Posted 10/1/2008 4:12 PM (#338810 - in reply to #277745)

I don't have it up on our website. Will be though sometime when I get to it.

Dairyland/Holcombe/Wissota are almost always the top three producers. Part of that is the fishery, part of that is the number of anglers. I fished holcombe and I can say there was no shortage of pressure.

This year 125 muskies were caught by 75 anglers. The biggest was a 51.5 out of Wissota. We had a total of 266 contestants. The winner had 7 muskies. I believe 125 is a record for our event.

That's pretty good fishing.

Jono
Posted 10/7/2008 7:19 AM (#339599 - in reply to #279084)

Hit Swede's for sure, great bar and atmosphere, we have been takeing trips there in October for years and will be heading up this weekend. Great fishing!!!