Masts...manual vs auto retrieve
Posted 9/14/2007 8:02 AM (#274852)
Subject: Masts...manual vs auto retrieve

Does anyone have any opinions on wheather they like the crank out and retreive masts, like a Big Jon verses an automatic retrieval mast, like Riveria makes?

Do you like the auto retrieve mechanism? does it last a long time? is there alot of maintenance?

Manual Retrieve vs Auto Retrieve? what do you prefer and why?
one of the advantage i see is, i would assume, when you stop the boat when you have a fish on, the auto retrieve will start bring the boards in towards the boat, right?

Suggestions for for other masts?
kman
Posted 9/14/2007 5:34 PM (#275004 - in reply to #274852)
Subject: RE: Masts...manual vs auto retrieve

On the Riveria, the auto feature only works when you untie the loop that is holding the reel , the loop is what keeps it from continually releasing. Ken
Posted 9/20/2007 6:57 AM (#275798 - in reply to #274852)

so, the Riveria auto retrieve wont just start bringing in line when you stop the boat? you have to untie the line first? i thought once the pressure was off, they would start bringing in the boards? no?

kman
Posted 9/20/2007 8:51 PM (#275931 - in reply to #275798)

When you are letting out your lines with a riveria you will "tie off" your mast line with a loop in the mast line to the spool, otherwise your spool would continue to pay out line untill empty........ To bring line back in, you must allow the spring tension in the auto retrieve to pull the line back in, but only after you have released the loop you previously "tied off " with......... It takes but a few seconds. There is no start or stop feature on the reel, just a spring loaded reel.. Ken