Smuttly Dog Problem
reefhawg
Posted 8/19/2007 6:02 AM (#270557)
Subject: Smuttly Dog Problem

Hi eveyone,Newly joined to the site and just wondered Would Anyone be able to point me in the right direction with the weighting of a 7 inch Smuttly Dog,i bought this off Ebay U.S but have only recently give it a throw and the action is totally dead,ie no swing,glide or anything.Thanks in advance for any help
ron f
Posted 8/19/2007 7:04 AM (#270560 - in reply to #270557)
Subject: Re: Smuttly Dog Problem

jerk it!
reefhawg
Posted 8/19/2007 7:18 AM (#270561 - in reply to #270557)

Yeah,Good idea but tried that as well as short taps ,long sweeps and just plain old cranking but it does nothing so i am assuming its been messed about with or its a copy which has been weighted wrong
ron f
Posted 8/19/2007 9:24 AM (#270574 - in reply to #270557)

then i have no idea,all my dog work right

sorry
Riverman
Posted 8/19/2007 9:54 AM (#270579 - in reply to #270557)
Subject: RE: Smuttly Dog Problem

Hi Reefhawg,

Since I don't know how much experience you have with glidebaits I will tell you how I work them. Throw the bait out, and then with the rod tip low and a bit of slack in the line give the lure a jerk and you should see it go one way or the other. Some glide baits you can jerk quite hard and others all that is needed is a gentle tap. Now get a cadence down, jerk, jerk...pause, jerk, jerk, jerk. With earch jerk turn the reel handle enough to keep up with the line. Watch the bait and time the next jerk of the rod tip according to when the bait is ready to turn again.

If this doesn't work then maybe Mark with Smuttley can you help you further.

Jed V.
Bikini Bait Co.
Luke
Posted 8/19/2007 12:25 PM (#270593 - in reply to #270557)

Was it that custom perch smuttly that was on ebay a while ago? Repainted lures often don't act the same as the original due to the use of a different type and/or amount of clear coat and the change in bouyancy that leads to. I believe that custom smuttly also used different hooks and split rings which would have had an effect on the action too.
Tim Kelly
Posted 8/19/2007 3:10 PM (#270610 - in reply to #270557)

Try wrapping some lead solder round the back treble and see if it glides then. If so, a bit of lead towards the back of the lure should solve the problem.
reefhawg
Posted 8/19/2007 4:08 PM (#270619 - in reply to #270557)

Thanks to everyone for the advice,the smuttly dog i got was on ebay in the early part of the year when i also got a Smuttly wolf from a different seller,the Wolf works great so i knew there was something seriously wrong with the smaller one as it just came back straight no matter how i tried to work it
Mark Smith
Posted 9/17/2007 5:50 PM (#275363 - in reply to #270557)

hi reefhawg,
I think you are the fellow that Chico sent a replacement bait to. If not, contact me at [email protected] Fisrt baits were not so much side to side baits. More eratic baits , not walk the dog . Most would walk but all were erratic.
The bait in queston was one of the first few baits I made. Much more consistent now. Mainly due to help from Jack Cobb. Thanks to all who responded to the post.
Mark Smith/ Smuttly Dog Baits
reefhawg
Posted 9/23/2007 12:29 PM (#276129 - in reply to #270557)

Hi Mark,Yes it was me who Chico sorted out with a replacement so its a big thanks to both of you.The lure itself had no action whatsoever it kinda just limped in to one side,ive since passed it over to my fishing partner who is a bit of a lure maker and hes going to have a try at reweighting it.
Thanks
Andy