Bucktail Components
esox50
Posted 8/8/2007 7:49 PM (#269224)
Subject: Bucktail Components

Ok, fellas I'm looking forward to beginning to make my own bucktails with the free time I'll have here in the upcoming months. However, I'm a bit nervous about the components I've chosen to buy.

For the folks that make their own 'tails, what components do you use and for what reasons?

Also, for making smaller bucktails - say Showgirl, Mepps Muskie Killer, etc. size (7-8 inches) - would you continue to tie these with .062 wire or smaller .051 wire?

Thanks!
ToddM
Posted 8/8/2007 9:01 PM (#269238 - in reply to #269224)
Subject: RE: Bucktail Components

I use .051 wire, mainly because I don't care to work with the bigger stuff. My boggs tackle maker does not like the .062 and acts like it is going to break. With the .062, most beads won't fit so that wire is best with the big stuff.

I buy my components from staminainc.com mooreslurec.com jannsnetcraft.com and hangensfish.com

I always try to make a bait so the blade does not spin the whole bait. I try to keep blade friction down but I notice that the colorado blades are the hardest baits to make and reduce the spin. Forinstance, my two hook squid with a rubber skirt spins horribly with a #7 colorado but with a #7 indiana it is fine, the front hook is enough of a keel to keep it inline. With that said, some of your well known premium bucktails spin like a political talk radio show.
Kingfisher
Posted 8/8/2007 9:53 PM (#269247 - in reply to #269224)

Ill second what Todd says. Stamina, Hagens for me. Kingfisher
Fishboy
Posted 8/9/2007 6:33 AM (#269271 - in reply to #269224)

I have started using the 1/8" S.S. cable for the first time and so far I love it. EASY to work with, imparts a wonderfull naturally fluid movement to the bait, and you can buy it at a lot of locations.

True you will need to drill out your beads but with a good drill bit that is easy, and you don't need any special tools.

The big wire is not to bad to work with if you stick to a good pair of pliers and understand how to work with it.

As for what Toad..........um sorry Todd said the key is blade v.s. bait size. I just built a squid bait (kind of ironic) with a #10 colorado. It spins.............but that is the fun part of this hobby/buisness, "how to get the action YOU want"

I love the look and the action and have decided it just needs some more mass. So I will soon be adding a large paddle tail rubber shad under the squid. It will be awsome and run true without spin.

Keep playing and have fun.