Wissota as it stands?
Whoolligan
Posted 8/7/2007 2:55 PM (#269056)
Subject: Wissota as it stands?

So, I'm not going to have time to make it to the Chip next week, but I will have three days worth of 6 hours or so to fish. I've fished the lake a bit, but nothing to a great extent. I've mainly fished walleyes and smallies there, but have caught the occasional 'skie. I had done a little reading and found there are a few guys that swear the lake holds a couple giants.
Has anyone put time into getting to know it as a fishery? Or is it not really worth the time? The other option, I suppose would be Holcombe, which will present me with a little less time per day.
Any input/advice would be great.
Jono
Posted 8/7/2007 3:12 PM (#269062 - in reply to #269056)
Subject: Re: Wissota as it stands?

Hi Jeremy. I fish the lake a bit and while there are some large fish available, I wouldn't pin your hopes on it. More than likely you'll be catching the 30" - 40" variety. I think Holcombe has a better big fish population than wissota.

I would be happy to help you out, seems fishing has been a bit tough out there as of late but generally speaking this dark water turns on as we get into late august. if we can get a cooldown we can see activity increase earlier.

feel free to pm me and I will try to get you on track.

Jono
curleytail
Posted 8/7/2007 3:33 PM (#269064 - in reply to #269056)
Subject: RE: Wissota as it stands?

Whoolligan,
Jono and I have talked back and forth about Wissota a fair amount, and I would take him up on his offer for advise. I agree with him as far as size structure from what I have seen so far. I have fished Wissota for muskies for two years now. Last year I caught one 40 inch fish, and most of the others were in the 35-38 inch range with one or two low 30 inch fish. This year I caught a 46 from Wissota, but the rest have been about 32-34.
Last year I caught most of my fish from Wissota right at the end of August and a few weeks after that until I started bowhunting more. When the temps started cooling down a little the fishing REALLY did pick up. Also just a slightly bigger average fish compared to what I have caught early this year.

Like most bigger lakes, Wissota does have some big fish. I have seen some pictures of upper 40 inch fish from there, and am sure there are some real giants, but it isn't trophy water. I haven't fished Holcombe a lot, but from what I hear there is a better chance for bigger fish there....though I caught my fair share of low 30 inch fish from there this year too. Seems to be a rut I am stuck in this year!

Feel free to PM me about Wissota too, though Jono probably has better information than I do. I haven't been on the lake in probably three weeks.

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 8/7/2007 3:36 PM
Whoolligan
Posted 8/7/2007 6:17 PM (#269075 - in reply to #269056)
Subject: RE: Wissota as it stands?

Excellent, gents. I appreciate it. I ordinarily don't fish the area, except for smallies/eyes. As I now have family in Eau Claire, I may well start targeting areas other than the chip, closer to home and all that.
Will be in contact!
floydss
Posted 8/7/2007 7:43 PM (#269084 - in reply to #269056)

what about old abe its just up the road from holcomb
Whoolligan
Posted 8/7/2007 8:07 PM (#269088 - in reply to #269084)

floydss - 8/7/2007 7:43 PM

what about old abe its just up the road from holcomb

Well, it is somewhat two-fold. I have fished Musky on Holcobe quite a bit, and I have fished Wissota a lot, not musky though. Never fished Abe, and didn't want to put the time in on water that I haven't fished, at least for such a short time.
I have heard, however, that Abe has some decent fish to be had. Who knows, if Wissota and Holcombe bomb out, I may give it a shot.
floydss
Posted 8/7/2007 8:42 PM (#269090 - in reply to #269056)

ive never fished it either but do have a couple of maps of it soo