Thinking about getting a chip for gps
esoxnut
Posted 7/12/2007 11:29 PM (#265011)
Subject: Thinking about getting a chip for gps

Can anyone tell me if you have a lake map chip in your GPS is it accurate enough to follow the contour of the drop-offs very closley when trolling? Any opinions are appreciated.
Nut
Troller
Posted 7/13/2007 12:26 AM (#265015 - in reply to #265011)
Subject: RE: Thinking about getting a chip for gps

Depends on what chip you get and what lake you are on. Lakemaster chips are great for MN but not all lakes. Some of the lakes on the chip are old DNR maps because Lakemaster hasn't mapped the lake themselves yet. The lakes they mapped last year are nearly dead nuts on. Well spent $100
rudski
Posted 7/13/2007 7:15 AM (#265029 - in reply to #265011)

i run a navionics premium north chip in mine and it's dead nuts on!i don't know what i'd do without it when fishing the big water.
dogboy
Posted 7/13/2007 7:57 AM (#265036 - in reply to #265011)

I also have the navionics premium north, it is accurate as long as they have surveyed the lake as of late. I guess depending on what you are going to fish,
check out the list of lakes each has to offer.
The lakemaster has some better maps for sure, but not as many lakes, where as navionics has just about every lake I want to fish in wisconsin. Some are good quality, but most are basic outlines without many contours or structures.

I recently fished Shawano lake, from what I could tell, the map was easilly 75ft off, It would be saying I was up in 10ft when I was in 20, or visa versa.
That was the only problem child I had so far.
I went to Green Bay with JoMusky, he brought his lakemaster chip along. Popped mine in first, then put his in. What a difference! Lakemaster recently surveyed GB in 3 ft incriments, along with a bunch of other lakes, some I think in 1 ft. incriments. That should be something every mapping software should do. Just my opinion.

I would have to say between the combination of using your mapping software, and following your sonar very close, keeping yourself on breaklines is fairly easy, A heck of a lot easier than going out there blind.
Jono
Posted 7/13/2007 10:34 AM (#265086 - in reply to #265011)
Subject: Re: Thinking about getting a chip for gps

Armpit has an '06 navionics for sale in the buy/sell. Looks like a cost effective way to get started. Precision and Accuracy will vary from lake to lake as stated here before. Use your sonar and lay some waypoints along the way. Save your trails. That will get you precisely dialed in.

Jono