What lures for Musky
Cardiff 300
Posted 7/11/2007 9:34 PM (#264776)
Subject: What lures for Musky

Went to WI last week to visit some relatives and I did some fishing as well. I was really trying for a musky or pike and got neither.

I'm from the south so we don't have them here, except in TN I hear, so I really don't know much about them. I'm wanting to come back up to WI to do some fishing and this time, I want to have the right tackle.

What lures are you guys using? I was throwing a 3 in. swimbait in shad and perch colors but no luck.

Thanks.
floydss
Posted 7/11/2007 9:51 PM (#264783 - in reply to #264776)
Subject: Re: What lures for Musky

Hope you got alot of money because muskies suck! First you need to get the right kind of rod and reel a medium heavy muskie rod and a abu garcia 55oo would be a good starting place (everyone has different opinions) next get some 80 superbraid (power pro works well) right there your looking at aroun 200 bucks, next you will need the proper release tools a pair of long needle nose pliers and a set of mini bolt cutters (just in case you need them, fish badly hooked or worse yet your badly hooked) then you need the proper release procedure keep the fish in the net until its unhooked and the cameras are turned on and waiting to take a picture then pick the fish up and take your pictures (some people say only keep the fish out of the water as long as you can hold your breath but 1 or 2 pictures is going to be shorter than that)
next you will need some baits and leaders. baits you can pretty much take your pick but a good starting lure set can be bought from rollie and helens musky shop for i think its 100 bucks they also have a pro package that runs 500 something but it has everything but the boat and camera in it including net rod reel and release tools,
lures i would prolly get a couple topwaters and bulldawgs and some bucktails would be a good starting point.
www.muskyshop.com
muskie! nut
Posted 7/11/2007 9:53 PM (#264784 - in reply to #264776)

French Broad River has some muskies as well as Lake Adger (sp?). And a few other lakes in NC.

"What lures are you guys using?" Too many kinds to list on this forum.
MrMuskie32
Posted 7/11/2007 9:54 PM (#264785 - in reply to #264776)
Subject: RE: What lures for Musky

where in WI are you fishing? are you fishing in a boat or from shore?

mic
Cardiff 300
Posted 7/12/2007 10:23 AM (#264860 - in reply to #264785)

I was fishing in Wausau, WI from the shore only. The tried a few dams but with no luck. Some nice smallies in the creek waters though.
believer
Posted 7/13/2007 8:42 AM (#265049 - in reply to #264860)

Realistically, you have very little chance of catching a Musky (unless you are going to break out a grand and buy gear that would be strong enough) I say, stay with your smallies and come back to Muskies when you have the cash for it... (or you could catch a bluegill, hook him through the back and soak him under a bobber. You have a 1 in 1000 chance that your cheesy spinning rod and 8lb test will hold up and even if it doesnt it will be exciting to watch that muskie drag your rig out of your hands and into the drink...)
Suick_Man
Posted 7/13/2007 8:54 AM (#265058 - in reply to #264776)

You might want to upsize your swimbait a little too....instead of 3in I would use the 6 or 9inch model. Or you could jig a 2 oz jighead on a 8in Reaper Tail...
slow_trollr
Posted 7/13/2007 12:57 PM (#265130 - in reply to #264776)

I am thinking you should rig up some downriggers and troll some cranks in different colors. Make sure the baits are at least 10inches long. You can use your electronics to find the channel and / or open water baitfish. Then simply troll slightly above the baifish with various baits and colors until you hit some fish. Then you can mark down the GPS coordinates to add to your fishing log. Good luck....
MrMuskie32
Posted 7/13/2007 4:07 PM (#265178 - in reply to #265130)

i would say look into getting a guide for the area you are wanting to fish.first of all look at all the things yout going to have to buy. then ask your self if you can handle casting big lures all day or if you want to start out on a half day for a guide. then take notes on what colors hes using,what lures topwater, cranks, bucktails, glide/jerk baits.also what your fishing and catching fish in like say weeds , rocks, wood, etc...

mic
esoxaddict
Posted 7/13/2007 4:29 PM (#265184 - in reply to #265178)

Let's be realistic here for a minute! The guy wants to catch a musky -- does he REALLY need a 619 Ranger, 6 rods, 7 reels (in case one breaks), a box of tools, split rings, snaps, jaw spreaders, hook cutters, 2 lakewoods, 300 lures, and a partrige in a pear tree?

Cardiff 300:

I'm assuming you have a reel by your user name. That reel will work fine. You need four things and four things only:

1. A rod on which to put that reel. A MH or H power, fast action rod, rated somewhere from 1.5-6 oz will do nicely.
2. 80 pound braided line
3. A quality leader, 100# 7 strand
4. A Mepps Musky Marabou, black with an orange blade

That's enough! With those 4 things, you will be able to catch a musky. The reel will work, the rod will work, its the same line everyone uses for muskies, and that lure will catch them. Spend enough hours casting that lure where muskies live and you'll catch one.

Now... If you want to unhook that musky and release it without killing it, you'll need some long long nose pliers and a big ass net. Something to cut hooks with just in case wouldn't be a bad idea.

All the other stuff? FLUFF.

Now... if you want to be a serious musky fisherman? Well, that's another story...