Cedar Lake muskies
ctnelson16
Posted 6/29/2007 6:56 AM (#262835)
Subject: Cedar Lake muskies

Does anyone have any muskie experience on Cedar Lake, Ontario? If so, how were the muskies and what worked for you?
brian
Posted 7/2/2007 12:19 AM (#263272 - in reply to #262835)
Subject: RE: Cedar Lake muskies

ive been fishing cedar every summer (last week in july) since i was 18 years old.....so in 4 weeks itll be the 7th year in a row......let me figure out how to post some pics and ill show ya a few from last year and give ya some places to go......hold on......

brian
bfunk73183
Posted 7/2/2007 12:49 AM (#263275 - in reply to #262835)

here is a 45-47in (never got a good measurment) in the western arm of Cedar near Musky Bay

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(45in skie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 45in skie.jpg (30KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 126 downloads)
bfunk73183
Posted 7/2/2007 12:54 AM (#263276 - in reply to #262835)

42.5in near Time Square.....

(42in skie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 42in skie.jpg (25KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 137 downloads)
bfunk73183
Posted 7/2/2007 1:06 AM (#263277 - in reply to #262835)

and here is another 42in'r caught on the weed edge on Little Musky Island......for spots on Cedar there are lots of good bays all around with good weeds and depth.....try fishing 13-18 ft starting 4-5 cast lengths away from the weed line and working towards it........also lots of good islands with lots of rocks.......last year we caught and saw more fish on the weeds than the rocks.....run and gun till you start seein fish then start workin the area's more......lots of big fish in that lake......good luck!!!!!! i cant wait 4 more weeks

-b-

(another.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments another.JPG (109KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 155 downloads)
breutzy
Posted 7/4/2007 1:37 PM (#263685 - in reply to #262835)

great pics,i will be going to cedar aug 4 for the first time.looking forward to a week of hunting the big girls.any advice on lures or color selection would be greatly appreciated.we will be staying on the north end at cedar point.any muskie 1st members staying on the lake at that time feel free to contact me.would be interested in meeting for lunch and comparing notes.good hunting,Brian
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/4/2007 2:45 PM (#263691 - in reply to #262835)
Subject: Re: Cedar Lake muskies

You'll be in the Times Square area, which is one of the better areas known for muskies. I'm sure bucktails and topwater baits will give you some action. I like a Holcombe Low Rider (I believe it's black perch), as well as, a top water similar to top raider (not sure but I think it is also made by Holcombe) in perch color. I also favor a white bucktail with silver blade.
Last fall, my nephew was getting action on a cowgirl. I believe it was black/red with red blades. I now have one. Other than many other lures to try, I'm anxious looking forward to fishing some bucktails and spinner baits made out of tensil. Besides a cowgirl, I've made a few smaller tensil bucktails (red/silver baitfish) with silver blades. They look good to me and I'm anxious to try them out. Of course, I never go without a black bucktail with an orange or red blade....never.

Jackpots (blue/silver) and topraiders are suppose to fairly good too. I think someone will be using suicks too.
I'm sure you have your favorite lures that you will locate some muskies with.

Who knows what the weather, lake level, water conditions, weeds, etc. will be like.

I'll be there the week Aug 4th at Clark's Northern Lights resort (cabin 8) with my grandson and 4 other guys. I talked to another guy earlier this year who was planning on staying the same week at cedar point. Another guy will be at a different camp and we will be getting together some time.

Will be going back to Cedar the last week in September.
bfunk73183
Posted 7/4/2007 2:53 PM (#263692 - in reply to #262835)

we stay at cedar point resort......about 500 yds away from Times Square.......last year was the year of the black bucktails and spinnerbaits during the day and same style baits in white at night.....we get there on july 28th and leave for home on the 4th........looks like you are 1 week behind us.........hopefully the fishin is good.......i emailed ray and kathi at cedar point last night to see whats goin on. last year the water was down about 3 feet or so. hopefully its higher up this year......too bad you wont be up there when we are........we will leave some fish for ya

-brian_
bfunk73183
Posted 7/8/2007 7:17 PM (#264203 - in reply to #262835)

20 more days guys ray and kathi have emailed me back......water levels are near normal but this year they have been gettin alittle more rain than usual i guess the muskies are starting to get active......kathi said lots of mid to upper 40s fish have been caught and a father son team got 4 fish just off of Nuns Island which is extremely close to Cedar Point.......all rocks.....we found some good fish off the island last year......just look for the walleye fisherman and youll find muskies......weather has been cool and the water temps are still in the 60s hopefully the temps raise alittle bit before we get there.........ugggg i cant wait

-b-
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 7/31/2007 5:19 PM (#268016 - in reply to #264203)

Breutzy,

I'll be up on Cedar from Aug 4-18. Will be staying at Jerry and Ellie's, on the western side of the horseshoe. Planning on getting together with Muskie Bob at some point during the week to compare notes. Would also be happy to meet with you sometime during the week to exchange ideas. This will be my third time to Cedar, although the first trip was during turnover so it was a bit challenging. Last year, fished it with a guy who likes to do more walleye fishing, so we only musky fished in the evenings, and did real well on topwaters. (I don't think color matters on the topwaters. I mostly throw jackpots and topraiders).

Will definitely do more daytime musky fishing on this trip than we did last year, and from other people I've spoken with, the best colors on Cedar seem to be chartreuse/fluorescent yellow or fluorescent orange. Or baits that contain these colors, such as firetiger or a black bucktail with orange blade. I can't verify this firsthand yet though, since most of my previous success on Cedar has been at dusk / night with topwaters. And I don't think color matters much with topwaters.

In any case email me in the next couple days if you want to get together up there. Otherwise look for us in a 16 foot red Lund with a 35 HP Johnson outboard (model year 1979 on both).

Good Luck,
"Jackpot" John Schroeder
[email protected]
Moatsy
Posted 8/1/2007 8:36 AM (#268081 - in reply to #268016)

Cedar is a great lake and very easy to learn. Don't forget Carter lake which is conected by a 5o yard narrow not far from Jerry and Ellies. I missed a 54"-56" fish at the boat on Carter. My heart still thumps when I think about it. Never saw another boat back there ever. Black skirted spanky baits with chartreuse blades get fish moving in a hurry.

Good luck,

Moatsy
bfunk73183
Posted 8/18/2007 10:07 AM (#270490 - in reply to #262835)

anything ever happen for the folks that were headed that way in early august??? me and my dad only caught 4 all week saw atleast 15-20 each day had a few into 8's but nothing would be really hot
biggest in camp was only 46in and my PB for the week was a mere 39in still had fun

-b-
thedude
Posted 8/20/2007 4:17 PM (#270819 - in reply to #262835)

I fished the west end of Cedar for my first time on Saturday August 18th. Saw two nice fish in about 4 hours of fishing. One on a Chartreuse/black bucktail and the other on a Walleye Mag Dawg. Both fish came from rock/weed combinations. Was very impressed with the lake and will be spending more time out there as I vacation in Ear Falls just 30 minutes north of the launch. Met a guy named Dank out there. Nice guy...looked like the guys from ZZtop but with a white beard. The lake had a small algae bloom and most of the weeds that I saw were pretty brown.

Thanks for the info and good luck.

thedude
Shep
Posted 8/21/2007 11:43 AM (#270963 - in reply to #270819)

Did he tickle your palm with his finger when you shook hands?! hehe That is Dank. Great guy! I believe he has a place on Cedar. Was Wizzy with him?
thedude
Posted 8/21/2007 12:02 PM (#270972 - in reply to #262835)
Subject: Re: Cedar Lake muskies

Shep...you're right. He does have a place on the West End of Cedar. His wife with him and he mentioned that he guides on Pewaukee. I'm guessing spring and fall. Didn't have the chance to shake his hand but he was very willing to give us some tips on where to fish.
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 8/21/2007 3:51 PM (#271028 - in reply to #262835)

Just got back from Cedar Lake 2 days ago. Fished muskies for about 12 days. My dad and I caught a total of six muskies, but nothing big. Biggest was only 36 inches. Had trouble locating bigger fish. Probably only saw 3 fish total in the 45+ inch size range, and didn't really see as many fish as we were hoping to. Really struggled to establish a consistent pattern, as we saw fish on both weeds and rock, but not really with a great degree of consistency or predictability.

Question for you bfunk73183. What type of structure and water depth were you fishing? Because you definitely saw a lot more fish than we did. Were you just picking apart the huge bays on East Cedar? (That's the one thing we probably didn't do enough of, but it just looks too tedious to pick apart those huge bays, i.e. Musky Bay, Portage Bay, Convention Bay etc). So spent most of our time fishing island points and reefs in the Times Square and Nunn's Island area, as well as West Cedar. Just curious as to what you were doing differently.

This was my 3rd trip to Cedar, and still struggling to get that place figured out. Any help of info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
"Jackpot" John Schroeder
bfunk73183
Posted 8/22/2007 10:34 PM (#271266 - in reply to #262835)

it does take time to figure out cedar, lots of water and spots to fish. those big bays that you are talking about i.e. convention, musky and grassy bay are all huge huge bays you could fish 1 bay for a few days to get it figured out (trust me i have ) but in those areas we are always looking for the greenest healthiest lookings weeds usually assiociated with rock or drop offs. thats our starting point. take for instance.....

in times square between the two islands that face East Bay (one of the islands has a picnic table on it) yes you can fish in between there a lot and people do a lot on the shores of the islands the weeds get really good and thick (thats what im lookin for) but what some people dont know is that between the two tips of the islands there is a very sharp drop off the weeds end at 12-13 ft. and it drops to over 20ft in an instant (thats more what im lookin for) we saw fish all week in that main part but we caught more and saw bigger fish off that drop.

i guess you can call that (picking it apart) but in other spots it just takes time to learn them and put your time in. we use a map and our graph non-stop always looking for stuff. like between gull island and musky bay there is a spine that runs the entire distance between the two. its not on the map and we just came across it by looking at our graph its an open water gold mine. those sort of findings happen all the time.

another thing how fast were you fishing? i know it can change weekly but we always like to fish fast really fast to first find those aggresive fish. once they show themselves we then go back and pick it apart with different baits different speeds and what not.

this past year for us where smaller black or dark colored bucktails, smaller to medium sized natural colored crank baits with lots of action and the regular sized natural colored bulldawgs and we usually fished in the 12-14 ft range and up to and around 16-18ft.

course throwing a bulldawg in 6-9ft and making hell break loose in skinny water was a lot of fun as well

-b-