Any tips for putting yourself on fish

Posted 3/29/2002 10:17 PM (#5557)
Subject: Any tips for putting yourself on fish


do any of you guys have any tips for putting yourselves on places that will hold potential fish and how do you guys usally try to locate the muskies? Do you look on your sonar unit? If so what do you look for exactly?

Posted 3/30/2002 6:01 AM (#27834)
Subject: Any tips for putting yourself on fish


Kind of an extensive question.

I look for feeding areas(flats)near the decline to deep water. I look for points.
I look for inside turns. I look for any type
of extended bar or sunken island/hump surrounded by deeper water. I look for ANY possible squeeze point of either open water or cover type.

Once I find these I further look for cover and minor bottom variations(rises) that I feel might be of benefit. The best thing that I feel I can find is isolated covers or a small distinct hump on some other positive area and the closer to the drop the better.

On the depth finder, most of the time I am looking for rises, and weeds. Less often I look at the bottom type, hard or soft. I don't worry too much about baitfish.

Posted 3/30/2002 1:11 PM (#27835)
Subject: Any tips for putting yourself on fish


To add to FSF`s concept`s would be current,caused by prevailing winds,creeks or bottlenecks!Even if these areas are structure less in most`s eyes,these can be KEY FEEDING spots!They always merit a look see! Jeff

Posted 3/30/2002 6:02 PM (#27836)
Subject: Any tips for putting yourself on fish


Hey 14,
I agree with FSF, completely; would expand a bit on the sonar question. I am a firm believer that the sonar screen is the windshield visual for the lake or river bottom.

Learning any water is little different than learning an area of the city, one ques on specific visual signals to follow 'the road', which FSF describes well.

Whomever called a sonar a 'fish'finder' needed a quick fanny kick! YOU are the fish finder, using knowledge of the Muskie's habits, habitat, and your sonar and electric or gas motor to keep you on 'the road'(the fishable 10% of the water that holds fish out of 100% at any given time). 9 out of 9 times I am fishing with an expert at boat control, I am fishing with an angler who uses his sonar to keep the boat on 'the road'.

I did an Article for Musky Hunter a couple years ago on the subject, if you have had a subscription for a few years, you probably have it.

Soon as I get time, I am writing one for MuskieFIRST, with more detail, and describing the practical application of today's new sonar units.[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/30/2002 11:26 PM (#27837)
Subject: Any tips for putting yourself on fish


Catch a fish, lay it on the ground, lay on the fish.

Some good points already. One thing I did today is looked for warm water. I launched in 42 degree water and I found some 55 degree water and the fish were there. It was hard to fish, only 6-18" deep and heavy reeds but the fish were in there even musky. No hook ups, some blow ups but they were there.