GPS Help Needed !!!
Ball Cap
Posted 6/18/2007 10:57 AM (#261308)
Subject: GPS Help Needed !!!

Hey guys:

I have had a problem the last two years on LOTW with my GPS power going out. Meaning the GPS unit itself shuts off randomly. Mostly when I am riding in big waves. But last year, the unit itself would shut off every time I started the motor.

I know I had a bad cranking battery and thought perhaps all the juice was being used starting the motor and would cut out power to the unit forcing it to shut off.

I checked the connection under the dash to the fuse box and it's fine. I even have a cigarette power cord.

I got a new battery and that solved the problem of the unit shutting off when the motor was started.

I ran my boat on the Chippewa Flowage on opener and all was fine. Even really wavey and didn't have any problems.

Well, my buddy is on LOTW right now with my boat and I am meeting him on Saturday. He says the unit is still going out randomly in the waves.

This may seem silly, but I swear that I never had that unit go off in the US and only in Canada.

Considering I have both a regular power cord and cigarette lighter cord, shall I assume that the connection to the back of the unit itself is disconnecting when it's really wavey?

Any advise is greatly appreciated. You have no idea how frustrating it is trying to navigate LOTW and the GPS powers down 4 times during one run.

Thanks
Fisher
Posted 6/18/2007 2:17 PM (#261348 - in reply to #261308)
Subject: RE: GPS Help Needed !!!

I cant imagine how hard it is to navigate LOTW without a GPS, just make sure you have a paper map (they have been using them for many, many years) and you will be fine!!
Ball Cap
Posted 6/18/2007 4:42 PM (#261383 - in reply to #261308)
Subject: RE: GPS Help Needed !!!

Ha !

Fisher, I have beached my boat on rocks WITH a GPS !!!

I can't imagine without =o)
muskie! nut
Posted 6/18/2007 6:37 PM (#261403 - in reply to #261308)
Subject: Re: GPS Help Needed !!!

Ball Cap, yes its a Canada thing! Nothing works right in Canada (or so it seems).

I think you have a loose connection somewhere. It could be in the wiring or in the unit itself.

Have the unit on and have someone watch it and someone else start moving wires around. It goes out, you have a lose connection. Of course, if you find it, you should take steps to secure or repair what's loose.

It not, take the unit in your hands and shake it while its on to see if you can make it go out that way. If so, the only thing to do is send it back to the factory from repairs.

Let's hope it just issue one and can be fix quickly. Good luck!!!!
Jomusky
Posted 6/18/2007 8:37 PM (#261411 - in reply to #261403)
Subject: Re: GPS Help Needed !!!

look at the connections at the fuses

they can make problems like you have

depending on the style it could be just pulling on the wire at the fuse is pulling a spring contact away.

Also make sure you tighten your battery wing nuts with a pliers

I don't use wing nuts so I can get a socket wrench on the nuts.

Could also be the wire connection at the back of the GPS. It is important to not keep power on the cord all the time because it will corrode.

Are you powering it from a cig lighter plug? I would eliminate that if you are.