StructureBASICS....The point

Posted 3/28/2002 5:27 PM (#946)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


Large point extends 150ft from the north shore pointing south.

100 feet of the point is under 6ft water or less and has cabbage and large rocks.

The top of the point has a small flat on it about 50ft wide at the most.

The point drops off in to 50ft of water on all sides.

The lake is clear, with whitefish as the main forage.

Other fish that use the reef are walleyes, smallmouth and perch.

Its September and we have a southwest wind at 20mph. Water temp is 60 degrees and its partly cloudy. The lake has spotted great lakes strain muskies.

1) How are your going to fish this spot?

2) With what presentation?

Posted 3/30/2002 5:44 AM (#27735)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


Someone has to have some feed back here

Posted 3/30/2002 6:19 AM (#27736)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


Not worry about the point itself, but look for bait fish suspended out over deep water around it. With planner boards, I would troll with 8 inch Slammers and if I was allowed to run multiple lines I would run deep divers behind the boat. With the deep clear water, I would think the best chance at real pig would be out over deep water.

Posted 3/30/2002 10:27 PM (#27737)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


We need more comments on these guys, I am putting them in the article section.

Posted 3/31/2002 12:41 AM (#27738)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


During the warmest part of the day and during transitional periods I would swim on of Bob's Pigs up in the waves slowly keeping it near the surface over the shallow flat where a big musky can see it struggling in the waves. I would stay up wind and belly the point with long casts.[:)]

Posted 3/31/2002 7:40 AM (#27739)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


I would aproach this point from the windward side figuring that the baitfish may be stacking up there due to the wind.Once again Id fish my way in from about 110 yards out using crank baits. As I got within casting distance of the shallower rocks I would try to make contact with my crankbait as I feels this gives an erractic and attractive look to the lure.I approached at an angle and am trying to partially parallel the wall of the point as it drops off into deep water.I would most definately change my retreive angles until I thoroughly covered the structure on both sides .Lastly I would cover the top of the structure casting from east to west first because The muskies would be facing the wind at that depth and looking for the baitfish to be coming from the west.I would change lures on the shallow structure to a floating cranbait I could knock the rocks with and also make contact with the weed tops.Playing the light, as in , using shade lines etc might be important here also depending on time of day wave conditions etc.My first casts as I moved in to this structure woud be aimed at the spot where the wind first makes contact with the point-VERY IMPORTANT

Posted 3/31/2002 10:13 AM (#27740)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The point


I would start by positioning the boat parralell to the windward side,setting up for a controlled ,slow, drift. casting mag bulldogs or large spinnerbaits with large grubs or squrillytails into the wind into deep water and working them slowly across the waves, with the current, across the point, and into what should be a current eddy on the lee side,back to deeper water, trying to keep some contact with bottom with short rips and jerks then bring it up fast out of the current eddy.my reasoning is the larger fish will tend to lay just off this current eddy waiting for thier meal to come to them .they did'nt get fat by sprinting in the current ARtIe[:sun:]