Perigree Moon Phase
jonnysled
Posted 6/6/2007 1:56 PM (#259700)
Subject: Perigree Moon Phase

just got a reminder on my blackberry that the Perigree moon phase is quickly approaching ... are you a believer? i know where i'll be.

sound off
C.Painter
Posted 6/6/2007 2:25 PM (#259705 - in reply to #259700)
Subject: RE: Perigree Moon Phase

I show the perrigee at 11:08 am next tues....

I will watch it...as I am at work

BUT...will hit the water one of the nights near the time...

Cory
sorenson
Posted 6/6/2007 2:31 PM (#259706 - in reply to #259700)
Subject: Re: Perigree Moon Phase

I hit perigee in April and one day after it in May. Didn't seem like much of a big deal to me. It's biggest draw for me is to use it as an excuse to get a day on the water...any excuse is a good excuse.
S.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/6/2007 2:40 PM (#259712 - in reply to #259700)

I am a die hard moon freak! But I won't be able to get out until Thursday...

jonnysled
Posted 6/6/2007 2:45 PM (#259714 - in reply to #259700)

it does hit on a popular league night, so will be interesting to see results from that perspective ... eagle river is on north twin on monday night, rhinelander is on moen's chain tuesday night and then i think madison league fishes that night too. when i cross-referenced some things from my experience some big events landed spot on the perigree phase in june and after learning some other moon-related events while on the pond last year it has me taking some time off to check it out.
BALDY
Posted 6/6/2007 3:30 PM (#259719 - in reply to #259705)

C.Painter - 6/6/2007 2:25 PM

I show the perrigee at 11:08 am next tues....

I will watch it...as I am at work

BUT...will hit the water one of the nights near the time...

Cory

The website I use shows it at 5:08 pm on Tuesday.

Which is right?
bn
Posted 6/6/2007 3:39 PM (#259721 - in reply to #259700)

the one you are using shows the time in Universal time zone...for central standard time you have to subtract 5 hours...so by my calculations for Madison it should be 12:08pm next tues the 12th....
esoxaddict
Posted 6/6/2007 3:39 PM (#259722 - in reply to #259700)

Sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, moon up, moon down, sun directly overhead, major, minor, moon phase, apogee, perigee...

Every source I have found has differing information for what is what and when...

Is there one place that I can go, look up the town where I'll be fishing, and see what happens when?
Posted 6/6/2007 6:04 PM (#259741 - in reply to #259700)

1 hour before and after sunrise, 1 hour before and after am major, 45 minutes before and after am minor, 1 hour before and after moon set, 1 hour before and after pm major, 45 minutes bfoe and after pm minor, 1 hour before and after sunset, 1 hour before moonrise.. Perigree and Oligee..... Don't get me wrong, I believe there is corrolation, but hopefully no one adds any more "phases" or I am going to have no time to drink beer.....
nwild
Posted 6/6/2007 7:27 PM (#259750 - in reply to #259741)

I fish when I can, when I have to, and sometimes even when I shouldn't. Perigee, pedigree, masters degree, ten degrees, I will be out there regardless.

I hope it makes a big one eat, we shall see.

Edited by nwild 6/6/2007 7:30 PM
lambeau
Posted 6/6/2007 9:23 PM (#259763 - in reply to #259721)

the one you are using shows the time in Universal time zone...for central standard time you have to subtract 5 hours...so by my calculations for Madison it should be 12:08pm next tues the 12th....

just be careful b/c it changes depending on the time of year...
here in CST we're actually at a base of -6 hours from GMT.
since GMT doesn't change for daylight savings, you have to adjust for it.
"spring forward" +1 hour
in 2007, we're -5 hours from March 11 to Nov 4, but -6 hours after Nov 4th.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/pacalc.html
BALDY
Posted 6/7/2007 7:58 AM (#259800 - in reply to #259750)

nwild - 6/6/2007 7:27 PM

I fish when I can, when I have to, and sometimes even when I shouldn't. Perigee, pedigree, masters degree, ten degrees, I will be out there regardless.

I hope it makes a big one eat, we shall see. ;)

Norm, I love it
joshborovsky
Posted 6/7/2007 11:03 PM (#259962 - in reply to #259700)

I don't get too wrapped up in the specific time of day that perigee happens. I think the day of perigee and the three days either side of it can be great if any any of those days overlap with the day of a new moon, full moon or three days before and after them.

I use the perigee concept to help me find the days that will be good. But when it comes to what times things will happen on those days, I think paying attention to moonrise, moonset, sunrise, sunset, moon overhead, moon underfoot and weather (the big one) will carry more weight in predicting fish activity than the actual event of perigee.

Just seems like on the perigee days, the fish eat when they are supposed to eat. So I spend these days window shopping for monsters and then go back and pick them off when one of the more predictable feeding windows occurs.

- Josh Borovsky
www.promuskieguide.com
Larry Ramsell
Posted 6/8/2007 5:25 AM (#259968 - in reply to #259962)

Josh:

"The big one" as you put it..."Weather" IS what rules! Period.

When I recap your post, I find that if perigee is "between" new and full moon, 21 days of the month are used up:

New + 3 days on either side = 7 days
Full = + 3 days on either side = 7 days
Perigee (if between moons) + 3 days on either side = 7 days
Total = 21 days.

That leaves only 9 or 10 days of the month unless you like the quarter moons too + a day on either side (total three as one would fall within perigee) we're down to 6 or 7 "un-usable days" UNLESS "weather conditions" are GOOD on those days!

I used to follow, schedule vacations and fish faithfully based on moon periods. Results were usually bad weather and often less fish!

I now worry only about the weather conditions and the daily goings on. Just fish!!

Edited by Larry Ramsell 6/8/2007 5:27 AM
Josh Borovsky
Posted 6/9/2007 10:09 PM (#260170 - in reply to #259700)

Hi Larry,

I agree weather is most dominant. However, many people are not able to plan trips on short notice based on weather forecasts . . . and if perigee doesn't fall within the full or new moons then it carries less weight with me. In fact, if a new moon or full moon overlaps with apogee it also carries less weight with me. I like the overlaps when everything comes together in a positive way.

The biggest fish in my boat for the past seven years in a row has come on these days of overlap. So I am obviously a big believer.

(So it is alot less than 21 days out of the month I am talking about. The number is usually pretty small.)

And one thing we all probably agree on . . . the best time to go is anytime we can.

Best regards,

Josh Borovsky
www.promuskieguide.com