tackle box recommendation
Sut'sgold
Posted 6/4/2007 8:18 AM (#259233)
Subject: tackle box recommendation

Im looking for a good tackle box recommendation. Something I can use for years to come and not have to keep upgrading as I accumulate more gear. What are some of the things that you like and dislike about your boxes?

Thanks in advance.
mikie
Posted 6/4/2007 8:27 AM (#259237 - in reply to #259233)
Subject: Re: tackle box recommendation

like my big Plano, it holds a lot of baits and I can hang bucktails up to dry with the lid open. What I don't like is sometimes needing a flashlight and a pair of longhandled pliers to see and get to my baits, esp. if the fall off the dividers. Wish I had a Capt. Harry box (see Triton1's avatar for a pic). m
jclymer
Posted 6/4/2007 12:41 PM (#259306 - in reply to #259237)

I like Lakewood boxes because you can walk on top of them or even stand on them... Lots of times I am trying to make it to the back of my boat and I have boxes fill up the center of my boat, it is nice to just walk across them.. I like that I can store all my release tools on the outside of them, so I always know where my pliers, bolt cutters and hook sharperners are...
esoxaddict
Posted 6/4/2007 2:00 PM (#259319 - in reply to #259306)

I have a tackle bag that holds the 3700 boxes. What I like:

It holds 8 3700's

It has several outside pockets for tools, camera, sunglasses, lightweight rain gear, etc. You can pretty much carry everything you need in it.

It was cheap, I think it was $40, and it came with 8 3700 style (generic) boxes.

Having your stuff on 3700's means its all really easy to see. Label the side of the box and you never have trouble finding anything.

What I don't like:

The zipper pulls keep breaking, and the overall construction of the bag is what I'd call "poor"... It's got just over a season on it and it's really starting to show some wear.

It weighs a ton (that's all the crap not the bag)

It is not waterproof. Not even a little... (When I fish, it rains. In fact, it rains A LOT. We're talking pour water out of your shoes, soaked down to your underwear right through your rain gear, I can't see half a cast from the boat, wow that $^%& HURTS rain...) This means that I wind up having to empty everything out of it and hang it all up to dry. Water even gets inside all the 3700's, so all the lures have to come out, too. Anything you don't want ruined (like your camera, cat's eyes, maps, etc.) has to be in a ziplock bag, or it will get soaked.

You can NOT walk, step, stand, or sit on it. Doing so will break the 3700 plano boxes.
esoxhunter951
Posted 6/4/2007 3:57 PM (#259345 - in reply to #259233)
Subject: RE: tackle box recommendation

lakewoods are really nice. they can hold alot of baits and they can hold your release tools. and they have pockets on the outside for other things(leaders, hooks, ect.) the only thing i dont like about it is when you have it full of lures it can get kinda heavy but thats not a big problem.
jpine
Posted 6/4/2007 5:16 PM (#259358 - in reply to #259233)

I like my lakewood. I went with the large size because it fits my smaller boat better than the monster. It can hold plenty of big baits, lets the bucktails hang to dry out, and the big pockets are great to store gloves, pack rain gear, and a couple plastic plano boxes, etc. As stated before, it's great to have all your release tools all in order and easy to get to. No regrets on this buy.
Sut'sgold
Posted 6/4/2007 9:08 PM (#259391 - in reply to #259358)

Are the lakewood boxes water proof? I leave my box in the boat at the end of the day and do not want to come down to a box full of water.
Pathfinder44
Posted 6/4/2007 9:14 PM (#259394 - in reply to #259233)

Cant believe no one said anything about the Dunwrights, I have a LW monster and its officially "full". Looking to get the smaller Dunwright for shorter days or one lake trips.There clear and seem to be well made, anybody have one?? Yes the LW's are waterproof if you zipper them, its supposed to float but ill leave that to chance...

Edited by WATERDEMON 6/4/2007 9:17 PM
jpine
Posted 6/4/2007 10:26 PM (#259406 - in reply to #259233)

The soft side pockets of the Lakewood are not water proof, but the main bait hanging section is.
Team Rhino
Posted 6/5/2007 9:21 AM (#259456 - in reply to #259233)

I own 3 dunwrights and wouldn't go with anything else. Made of white pvc and nearly indestructable. The only down fall is with the size of the slots sometimes you can't get 2 of the same type of bait next to each other. The trays come right out and you can move them to the outside for easy access to the baits. Great boxes.
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2007 9:14 AM (#259634 - in reply to #259233)

So far I really like my Lakewood Musky Medium. It isn't HUGE but it holds quite a few baits. I like the fabric on the outside for holding release tools, and the pockets for holding spools of line, leaders, small boxes for jigs, or whatever else you need. I've had it out in some pretty good rain and it seems to keep everything inside pretty dry.

curleytail
Ranger
Posted 6/8/2007 6:38 AM (#259973 - in reply to #259233)

I like boxes I can open the lid, grab a hanging bait and close the lid, all with one hand.
MuskieRob
Posted 6/10/2007 11:46 PM (#260277 - in reply to #259233)

Anyone have a Lakewood Musky Hybrid box? If so, how do you like it? I'm upgrading(or so I think) from the largest PLANO box. Been trying to find one in the Chicago area, but no one carries it? Any help on it would be greatly appreciated!
Moose
Posted 6/12/2007 9:33 PM (#260626 - in reply to #260277)

I have one of the Lakewood Musky Hybrid boxes and like it very much. I got mine from Rollie and Helen's. I really like having the 3700 boxes along with the hanging section. I see someone said they could stand on their lakewood.... i've never done that, but i doubt it would hold large mammals such as myself.

In my old boat i had a truck toolbox bolted to the deck filled with 3700 boxes and dividers from the large plano box. this doubled as the rear casting deck. waterproof... lockable... worked great... didn't work in the new boat.
Neversnag
Posted 6/12/2007 10:48 PM (#260641 - in reply to #259233)

I have all my lures converted to the Neversnag system and when not fishing them I simply LOCKOUT the hook so it cant get tangled.
So I like a "open box" type tackle box. I place lures with soft plastic in ZipLock bags. For other lures I separate types of lures such as spoons, bucktails,topwaters, divers, etc and put each grouping of them in large ZipLock bags.
Of coarse, I make sure lures are dry if stored for long periods in bags.
The NeverTangle benefit of this system is really nice.