SCALE NETTING
WOLF
Posted 6/2/2007 7:25 PM (#259094)
Subject: SCALE NETTING

IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO USE SCALE NETTING OVER THE LURE AND KEEP IT FROM SLIPPING WHILE PAINTING THE SCALES AND KEEPING THE SCALES UNIFORM,WHATS THE BEST WAY TO HOLD IT TIGHT OVER THE LURE.IS THERE ANY OTHER MATERIAL THAT WORKS BETTER THANKS
Doug Bradley
Posted 6/2/2007 7:44 PM (#259095 - in reply to #259094)
Subject: Re: SCALE NETTING

Buy two embroidery hoops and stretch netting on each one being sure to put it on in the same direstion on both sides. now take a small zip tie and lace it through the thumb screw of both hoops like a hinge. Be sure net sides are facing each other ( no gap when closed )... Now place lure in between and close and clamp to getger with one small clamp opposite of the hinge you made. When you paint your scales, lay on a flat surface and dont flip it to the other side untill first side is dry............Or wrap netting around bait and use clothes pins to pinch it tight...............Thats the high and low tech site of scales..........Good Luck................Doug Bradley
muskynightmare
Posted 6/3/2007 12:10 AM (#259123 - in reply to #259094)

Like Doug said, I use both methods.
Musky Snax
Posted 6/3/2007 8:25 AM (#259137 - in reply to #259094)

I've used the method Doug described where you wrap the netting around the bait and now I simply have my netting held at one end with a big binder clamp attached to my table.I hold the other end down with either my hand or with a heavy enough object while I spray through it. Both methods work well. Be careful not to smudge the nice scale pattern when you lift the mesh, especially if you stretched it to fit tight.
Grunt Lures
Posted 6/3/2007 12:11 PM (#259152 - in reply to #259094)

I just cut my scale netting and lay it over the bait and paint through it. I also will tape it to the back of my templates and pait thorugh those. The important part for me is to lift the scale netting off right.
DaveG
Posted 6/3/2007 1:25 PM (#259160 - in reply to #259094)
Subject: RE: SCALE NETTING

I hold the netting tight over the bait while wearing a Latex glove, works for me.
Kingfisher
Posted 7/5/2007 11:28 AM (#263795 - in reply to #259094)

I staple pieces of wood to each side of the netting and hang the netting over the bait. The wood gives it a little weight to hold it in place. I rack my smaller lures so this works great. I learned the procedure from John Mulliet of Loke Lures. Kingfisher
Grunt Lures
Posted 7/5/2007 1:25 PM (#263807 - in reply to #259094)

Not that you asked for it but, here is a good place to get heavy scale material:

http://www.ahh.biz/products/nylon%20mesh%20fabric%20FHM006.htm

Lots of different sizes too.
toothn'nail
Posted 7/5/2007 3:03 PM (#263813 - in reply to #259094)

Oooo I like that mesh. My wife came home with a small carry bag with a similar mesh. It had some kind of sports stuff in it, can't remember what. Kid got the toys, Dad got the bag. Now I know where to get some more, thanks.
Grunt Lures
Posted 7/5/2007 8:49 PM (#263853 - in reply to #259094)

That mesh is about twice as heavy as the stuff you would get on a sports bag.
woodieb8
Posted 7/5/2007 9:11 PM (#263858 - in reply to #259094)

heres one guys. go to the dollar store. buy a mesh laundry bag for 1 buck. its great scale. we use embroidery hoops also. with lacquer based the paints dry immediately,,, no smudges.
Grunt Lures
Posted 7/5/2007 9:26 PM (#263863 - in reply to #259094)

I have found some of the best crap at fabric stores. You can get some wild buttons for eyes, funky stuff to paint through and a lot more. If you have a Micheles Hobby store or a JoAnns Fabrics aroudn (or other) go and use your imagination. Some good stuff in those girly stores

James
fatfingers
Posted 7/6/2007 9:28 AM (#263921 - in reply to #259094)

You may find that cloth netting works better than nylon at times, because the nylon is a bit stiffer and doesn't want to lay down against the bait as easily. It works but you have to use a little care because the nylon is a little abrasive and has a tendency to want to scratch the paint underneath it at times. I like to run the nylon netting through the washing machine a few times to soften it up just a little before using it for scales.

As to application, I use a bench vise. It weighs about 15 pounds and I place it on the deck of my paint booth when I'm ready to apply scales. (It also works great to hold a bait while applying fades on the sides and shoulders of the bait.)

Simply clamp the bait horizontally into the vice by the tail hook-hanger. Apply the netting and hold it tight with clamps.

To hold the netting, I clamp it with clamps used to hold papers to a refrigerator. I'll post pictures of these clamps later if I get a chance. The refrigerator clamps have a magnet on them. The magnet allows you to hang nuts or bolts on the clamp to add a bit of extra weight, if needed, to help stretch the netting material nice and tight against the sides of the bait. That way, you have no gaps between the netting and the bait, which can cause blurred areas along the scale pattern.

The vice swivels, allowing you to easily paint both sides of the bait while sitting comfortably at your work station. Baits can also be clamped by the tail hook-hanger to allow for application of the belly colors, pearls on the belly, etc. Of course, baits can be clamped sideways to allow for the application of stencils for gill plates and any other final detail you wish to add.

Posted 7/26/2007 7:54 PM (#267337 - in reply to #259094)

You can try drywall tape. It's fiberglass and has an adhesive backing.
gear jammer
Posted 8/8/2007 8:41 PM (#269234 - in reply to #259094)

I just use styrofoam packing material Lay lure down then lay netting over lure then use pins around the lure. place pins in oppsite directions so it will snug the netting over the bait. Also keeps it from moving and gives you mobility in painting. let dry flip it and do it again.

Heres a crud example

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(pinning sample.GIF)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pinning sample.GIF (21KB - 133 downloads)