StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.

Posted 3/27/2002 7:34 PM (#947)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Its an 800 acre lake with a max depth of 40ft. Its 55 degrees and a west wind at 10mph and sunny. Forage perch and shiners.

The north shore has three coves all shallow 1 to 3ft, docks and downed trees, and old vegitation.

There is a main lake sunken hump that is 6 feet deep, with rock.

There is two islands in 10ft of water near the west end with small sand flats off of them. These sand flats connect to the west end weed bed.

There is big weed bed on both the west and east ends, 5 to 7ft deep with some new growth starting.

The south shore is mostly rocks, but has many coves with docks and other man made structures.

1 What spots would you stop and fish?.

2)Where would you start and with what presentation?.




Posted 3/27/2002 7:52 PM (#27573)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


North side shallow dark bottom. Specifically North West corner because of wind direction. This is most certainly going to be the warmest spot on the lake. Did not say whether the water was clear or stained. In northern WI where the water is relatively clear. I would throw small Bucktails first. Then small to medium sized twitch baits. Not large lures so as to not make to large a splash in the shallow water. These fish could be really spooky. Twitch slow and leave the lure on the surface or just under the surface. If fish are seen but not biting try a jig and lizard on these visible fish. This is my angle on the first weekend. Because of forage base this tactic may not work but I would still try this first because of time of year the water just warming.

Let Em Go...Let Em Grow.....Mike

Posted 3/27/2002 9:29 PM (#27574)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Funny I would hit the rocks and man made stuctures on the south shore. The rocks offer warmth too and I often find active muskies on them. The east and west end weed flats will be good too if you can find the new growth, the north ends of each flat will be the best.

The best presentation would be Reef Hawgs, Undertakers and small Slammers all worked very slow.

Posted 3/28/2002 7:16 AM (#27575)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Classic spots would be to go to the north coves. I think I would start by trying the rock hump though. Thinking is that the rock would warm the water above it and create a concentrated warm spot. The warm water together with the hump could create a spot on a spot. I would also look at the flats from the west end weed bed to the islands for temperature. Again checking for warmer water. Last I would run the south shore rocks. If all else fails, I would check into the coves and see whats there.

Posted 3/28/2002 7:52 AM (#27576)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


First of all-Isnt this a wonderful puzzle to have an opportunity to figure out.With everything thats happened to this country recently its got to be an incredible gift just to be at that launch site on opening day and be able to put your worries aside for a few hours and only think about capturing and releasing one of the worlds great creatures.I love locational and structural type questions;however I think Ill give others a chance to work on solving this lake-Im just gonna drift around the lake for awhile with my hot cofee and watch you guys work on the puzzle for me.What a Great country.

Posted 3/28/2002 11:50 AM (#27577)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Weed beds on the east shore, and the bays, starting from eastermost one and working westward. West winds will blow the warm surface water to the east side of the lake.

Posted 3/30/2002 5:46 AM (#27578)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Some great stuff, anymore want to comment here.

Posted 3/30/2002 5:59 AM (#27579)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


The first spot of the day would be the west end. With the wind out of the west, the cooler water from the night before would be getting blown to the east, making the west end more stable. I would start with a small Slammer or glide bait and work it slow. As the day went on and the sun gets higher in the sky I would start hitting the warmer area spots (the coves and north shore) with a #5 Mepps.

Posted 3/30/2002 10:29 PM (#27580)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


We need more comments guys, I am putting them in the article section.

Posted 3/30/2002 11:10 PM (#27581)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


The two sand flats adjacent to the west end weed beds would be a good spot to catch a nice musky. I would concentrate toward the warmest part of the day (preferably sunny & warming) with shinny silver spinners. I like the warming sand connected to weeds as an attracting and holding spot for big fish.[:)]

Posted 3/31/2002 10:41 AM (#27582)
Subject: StructureBASICS....Opening day spots.


Kevin you go man!! love those sand flats early burnin hair !!!!ARTIE