StructureBASICS....The Wall.

Posted 3/27/2002 7:23 PM (#940)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


This is a big island going north and south.

The west side has a very steep drop off like a wall into deep water.

The wind is blowing NW at 15mph and its August.

1)When would you stop and fish it.

2)Where would you start and with what presentation.

Posted 3/27/2002 9:17 PM (#27563)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


I actually do this alot!!

Start from the Northwest, slip along the edge of the 'wall', casting crankbaits along tha actual edge, and over the deeper water as you work down the island. Keep the boat perpendicular to the break so everyone has a good shot, and have the guy in the stern cover the shallow edge with a twitch bait, a Suick, or a Glider.

I have a place on LOTW, Rainy, and the GOON that I fish everytime I go by, trying to hit this in the quieter times as I rarely find really BIG fish on this type of water, except...PIKE!! I like my big Pike, and this is a great pattern for them if the baitfish are there.[:sun:]

Posted 3/27/2002 9:34 PM (#27564)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


I would skip it in August. I might hit the head and tail if it was really the only thing out there but in August I would probably look for better stuff.

Posted 3/27/2002 10:28 PM (#27565)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


I would start by hitting the north end from the deeper water up onto the point (there's gotta be one there), where the wind is blowing into. The wave action should have the Oxygen levels up and the baitfish should be somewhat active too. The rest I concur with Steve on. Slipping the wall from north to south. Semi deep cranks in the 7-12 foot range.

Posted 3/27/2002 10:35 PM (#27566)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


I have a few favorite west-facing walls on LOW that are on my milkrun if the wind is blowing in. Except, my favorite bait to bang off the wall is a Rad Dog. Start at the north end, and work down it.

Posted 3/28/2002 9:27 AM (#27567)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


Steve and Scott,
Are you trying to cast parallel or perpendicular to the wall?
Will the wind push baitfish up against the wall and around the "points" at the ends of the island?
If the wall drops, say, 20 ft., how deep are you trying to go?
Do you always approach islands and reefs from upwind? I mean if the island was running east and west with a northwest wind, would you still come in from the northwest?
This is a good series of posts, Jason.
-ost

Posted 3/28/2002 9:28 AM (#27568)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


From watching videos and reading stuff this is probaly what I would do.. If there are weeds around the island I would fish the northwest side of the island where the wind first touches the weeds. I would use some deeper diving cranks to get them down. I say if its a big lake don't over fish it but sure give it a chance whenever you can because I'm sure there are some other cool structures like that you have yet to come by.

Posted 3/30/2002 5:47 AM (#27569)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


Some great stuff, anyone want to add more comments to this thread.

Posted 3/30/2002 6:04 AM (#27570)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


I would look at this spot in the mid day providing that there is bait fish that is suspended out from it in open water, I would start trolling deep diving cranks along the west side while trolling north/south, starting out deeper and heading closer in.

Posted 3/30/2002 10:28 PM (#27571)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


We need more comments guys, I am putting them in the article section.

Posted 4/3/2002 12:13 PM (#27572)
Subject: StructureBASICS....The Wall.


any last comments on this?