Rod/Reel Combo thoughts
Labs
Posted 5/29/2007 3:55 PM (#258527)
Subject: Rod/Reel Combo thoughts

Guys,

Thinking about a second casting combo to go along with what I have and looking for your help and ideas. Here's where I'm at:

8' Fig Rig - Pflueger Trion 66L with Power Pro line (used most of the time)
6-6' St Croix with a Shimano Bantom 50 Power Pro as well

Thinking about a Shimano Compre with a Shimano Cardiff reel and Power Pro.
Trying to stay in the $250 range.

Please let me know what you think of this or is there something else I might want to consider.

Thanks,

Labs
go browns
Posted 5/29/2007 8:27 PM (#258564 - in reply to #258527)
Subject: RE: Rod/Reel Combo thoughts

can't go wrong with a premier 8 footer and abu 6500 is around 250 with the rebate abu has going you could add the power handle
Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 8:01 AM (#258612 - in reply to #258564)

One replyonly???, thanks by the way "go browns".

Maybe if I ask what have you guys found to be a good set up that I should consider in the $200-$250 price range.

Come on guys, help a fellow hunter out....please....

Thanks,

Labs
Magruter
Posted 5/30/2007 8:33 AM (#258624 - in reply to #258527)
Subject: Re: Rod/Reel Combo thoughts

Post up in the BST boards. Find someone selling a used rod, and pick up a okuma reel. Used Avids are going for about $100 and buy the okuma new for $120. I've casted the induron a couple of times, it's smooth. But not 100% sure about the durability. Seems like a solid reel though.
http://www.okumafishingteam.com/reels/roundbaitcast/induron.html
Toss some 80 lb super braid on there. And you're right at $250.

Maybe call Smokie, heard there's something going on the G-Loomis rods. Might be able to pick up for a steal there.

Edited by Magruter 5/30/2007 8:38 AM
BALDY
Posted 5/30/2007 8:46 AM (#258626 - in reply to #258624)

Get a hold of Keith at Professional Edge. You can pick up an Edge Series rod for around $149. One of the best all around rods you will find. Light and very strong.

Go with a Garcia 6500 C3 or an Okuma and you will be right in your price range.

Dacron + Dip
Posted 5/30/2007 8:49 AM (#258628 - in reply to #258527)

I'm not sure if the Pflueger or Bantam have clickers on them of not Labs, but going to a 6500 series Garcia will give you one, opening up trolling as an option. I also know that sucker fishing is very popular in the US and guys like the clicker for that too. Good call with the 8' pole, very versatile, all I have are St.Croixs+Garcias, there are more expensive routes you can go but in my opinion, these are two brands that are time-tested, servicable and easy to find in stores. One of my regular partners fishes with Compres and for the buck, they're unbeatable. If I had to go out and add a coupla back-up combos this morning they'd likely be Compres. They sell for about $100 CDN, excellent value. Simnao also came out with a new Compre that I think carries a Ltd. Lifetime Warranty now. They cost a bit more, though. The St.Croix Premiers I fish with have a 2 Yr Warranty, never had to use it, they're plain Jane, tough rods.
Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 9:14 AM (#258634 - in reply to #258628)

Thanks guys....this is the stuff I was looking for. After a great weekend, the bug has bitten me again and I can't wait to get back out there.

Keep the ideas coming...

Thanks again!!!

Labs
jonnysled
Posted 5/30/2007 9:51 AM (#258644 - in reply to #258527)

my suggestion after making mistakes back in the day would be to first invest in the reel and second consider the rod at least as you start out. the rods when they get replaced down the road can always find a place as sucker rods, so that being said ... get a calcutta or a luna on a gander IM8 ... i've bought calcuttas on ebay and new and have been impressed with the lunas for similar reasons. you could get one of those on a cheaper rod for close to your number. in a few years when you want a better rod ... you're not starting all over again.

nothing sucks worse than a cheap reel.
tcbetka
Posted 5/30/2007 11:01 AM (#258660 - in reply to #258527)

I would second the Calcutta--if you like the thumb bar. But I would go with the 400B, if money is a concern.

I spoke with Chuck at Sportsman's Repair last week about this very issue and he advised that (for the money) there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 400B. The 400TE is about $125 more money, and he stated that you do not get that much more value for the extra expense. He services all these reels and very much recommended the 400B for someone that didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the 400TE.

Here's a link to his shop: http://www.sportsmansrepair.com/html/prices.html

You could certainly call and talk with him yourself about this. He is a WEALTH of information on musky reels, and his shop repairs reels from all over the world. In fact he told me that they service several thousand musky reels each year!

TB
esoxaddict
Posted 5/30/2007 11:13 AM (#258665 - in reply to #258644)

jonnysled - 5/30/2007 9:51 AM

...nothing sucks worse than a cheap reel.

Words of wisdom there!

I'm from the "I bought stuff Willy Nilly because so and so said it was good" camp. Found a few things out the hard way:

1. Just because it costs $250 doesn't mean it will last more than a season
2. Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean you will like it
3. Recommendations are like butt holes, EVERYONE has one.

If I could start all over, all of my rods would be 8'. And none of my reels would be the cheap disposable kind.

The only real advice I can give is see what you like. Fish with a bunch of reels and rods, and figure out why you like them. Then find one that does everything you want it to, and is the best one you can afford. Buy three of them.
Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 11:17 AM (#258668 - in reply to #258660)

thanks for all the info...now I've got some decisions to make. One thing that I have required for myself is a left handed reel. That rules out some reels but I feel so much more comfortable with left hand reels.

Is the Cardiff that much inferior to the Calcutta? Remember I'm a 5-6 weekend trip angler here.

Thanks again for the help...

Labs
jonnysled
Posted 5/30/2007 11:30 AM (#258671 - in reply to #258527)

yes ... there is a post up earlier talking about the calcuttas. there are the old 400's, the b's and then the te's. i've used the old 400's and the newer b's for 10 years with lots of use and limited maintenance without any failure. i've heard of some failures or breakage from some heavy user friends on the te's but also impecable service if it happened to you from shimano.

one thing i've done though is that i've put the b handles on my old 400's. the b's have a handle that is noticeably more comfortable ... not as comfy as the luna, but very nice.

you should be able to buy a used 400 for 150 bucks on ebay or new slightly over 200 bucks. nothing is unbreakable i'm often told by many and i'm sure it's true, but if you want to buy a reel that you'll never sell, want to sell or get rid of the calcutta would be one of those. someone else might be better to comment on the difference between the te and the b, but it has to do with the drag system ... i'm a thumb free-spooler and it doesn't apply .... i've been locked down tight and haven't had a problem with the b drag so it's something i'm more than happy with.

5 or 6 weekends a year isn't a lot but then again when you are faced with a situation of a lifetime it's nice to know that your equipment can handle it when it comes your way.

with 250 bucks your options are endless and i understand your quandy. it would be like going into a race ... do you invest in the motor or the chassis ... both are important, but your car can look great but be a pooch ... i'd rather have the ugly stick (not the brand) and the solid motor (reel) ...
Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 1:50 PM (#258694 - in reply to #258671)

It's hard to argue with the logic so I'm glad I asked these questions...thanks!!!

OK...I've decided to stick the money into the reel at this time. Now which one?

Shimano Calcutta or Daiwa Luna...it appears that I am going to have to learn to adjust and reel with my right hand. This isn't the end of the world, just something new to learn. I've just grown comfortable setting the hook and work fish with my strong side. My older Shimano is right hand retrieve so it should be OK.

I'll probably put the new reel on my 8' Fig Rig and my Pflueger on a Gander Guide Series or something similar.

Thanks for being patient with me...

Labs
esoxaddict
Posted 5/30/2007 1:59 PM (#258695 - in reply to #258694)

Labs, the transition from L to R isn't as hard as one may think, and you get the added benefit of being able to switch hands throughout the day to avoid fatigue. I am almost to the point where I am equally comfortable with either side, and will probably always use both left and right handed reels. People look at me weird when they see my rods though...
jonnysled
Posted 5/30/2007 2:34 PM (#258700 - in reply to #258527)

if you are deciding between those two ... there is no wrong answer. the luna although i don't have one would be a strong consideration if i bought a new reel. it's a bit more than a calcutta b, but worthy from most i've spoken with that own one. i would say it's among the most comfortable handles on the market if not the best. the calcutta b handle is also nice and an improvement over the older 400's.

i wouldn't want to sway you from thinking of other reels that might suit your needs, but the two you are considering are in a class that deserves separating from other reels.

lots of folks using the st. croixs, trions, okumas, abus etc ... but i would find it hard for them to argue against luna and calcutta if you are willing to spend that on a reel. the big question is ... are you willing to either up your budget to 300 bucks for a combo putting the reel selection at a premium or consider used for a higher quality reel and fit into the 250 range with a more moderately priced rod.

it's a tough decision, but if you have a reasonable 8' rod using one of these reels, you could very realistically do everything you want to do with a single combo without a big concern for needing a backup which saves you money and aggrevation too.

best of luck to you ... hope my contribution helped. we all have different experiences and i won't say anyone's is "wrong", this just comes from my own.
Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 2:56 PM (#258707 - in reply to #258700)

thanks for the great replies everyone, I appreciate it...

jonnysled...to answer your question...the new reel will be put on my 8' Fig Rig Tooth Tamer and I'll pick up a Gander or Scheels rod (lifetime breakage guarantee) for my Trion 66.

I hope to be out of the reel buying market for a while after this...but it's still fun to shop and decide what to do...

Thanks again for the help..

Labs
Posted 5/30/2007 9:34 PM (#258755 - in reply to #258527)

8' Compre, get the heavy for bucktails/topwaters, or the xheavy for big stuff. Put a Garcia 7000HSN on it and you're right at about $250.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 5/30/2007 10:59 PM (#258769 - in reply to #258527)

I picked up the calcutta 400B (use it a a bucktail/crankbait combo on a 7'6" fig rig) and it is silky smooth, but I have to say I still find myself using my abu 6500ssc3 (w/ thumb bar) more often. For the price I paid for the calcutta I could have bought a couple more ssc3's.
Labs
Posted 6/2/2007 10:26 AM (#259063 - in reply to #258769)

Just to throw another winkle into this decsion what do you know or think about the Abu Record? Got to talking to a guy at Sportsman in Appleton and he had nothing but good things to say about them including that they are way underpriced.

Anyone try one and what do you think?

Thanks,

Labs
jpine
Posted 6/2/2007 11:47 AM (#259071 - in reply to #258527)

Labs, do a search for old threads on the Abu Record. This reel has been talked about alot over the last year. My fishing partner used one last year and loved it but had a problem with the Instant Anti-Reverse Bearing. This winter he exchanged it for a Luna. As far as I can tell it's been a love/hate opinion of the reel. Read the old threads and decide for yourself. I just bought a back up reel thinking the Record might be an option but went with the 5500C3 instead (because of price).

Edited by jpine 6/2/2007 11:48 AM
Dre322
Posted 6/3/2007 9:13 PM (#259202 - in reply to #258527)

well here are 2 that i use under $250
-7ft Triumph rod (st.croix knock off) with a Tica Caimen reel spooled 65lbs Power pro
-6'6" Heartland rod with a Shimano Cardiff 65lbs Power pro.
So far no probs with these rods... i can throw almost anything with them
CJW
Posted 6/3/2007 10:39 PM (#259214 - in reply to #259202)

Dre322 - 6/3/2007 9:13 PM

well here are 2 that i use under $250
-7ft Triumph rod (st.croix knock off) with a Tica Caimen reel spooled 65lbs Power pro
-6'6" Heartland rod with a Shimano Cardiff 65lbs Power pro.
So far no probs with these rods... i can throw almost anything with them

I also have a Daiwa Heartland and for $70 it's a pretty good rod. The only bad thing is that 7' is the longest the go.

Cameron
davoO813
Posted 6/6/2007 3:17 PM (#259718 - in reply to #258527)

Labs, try looking on e-bay, some great deals out there. I just picked up 3 Calcuttas (400 TE, 300TE, & 400b) for less then what it costs for 2 new ones. I did see several lefties out there as well. Here is link to a Shimano Cardiff 301.

I've fished Muskies with a Calcutta 250 for years and love it. I am looking forward to hitting the water with the new 300 TE tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Cardiff-Bait-Casting-Reel-300-301-Left-...

Good luck and happy hunting!