Memorial Weekend Results
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/27/2007 8:59 AM (#258167)
Subject: Memorial Weekend Results

This has been a weekend to forget!
Friday night, I was to join 20 friends, with my son for a Father/Son Muskie Fishing 3 day Weekend which has been a tradition going for atleast 15 years.
A funeral came up that was Saturday morning that delayed our start to the weekend. That is definitely more important and I can leave directly from the funeral. No big deal. After all, as a great friend reminds me regularily, "They don't bite until you get there!".
A hundred miles into the trip, and half way there, my transmission starts acting up...this is not good... Forty miles later, my tacometer is wildly racing between 2500 & 4500 rpm, while my speed is down to 30 mph! I nurse the truck ten miles back into Green Bay.

Saturday afternoon of Memorial Day Weekend, Bret Farve couldn't get help for a transmission!

I called AAA to have the truck towed back home and send my son with the truck. I call my daughter to have her bring our old truck up 100 miles to get me and the boat. I make a lounge of sorts in my Tuffy Esox Magnum, with the seat cushions and life vests, as I have at least 2 hours to wait. I fall asleep, and a half hour later I am uncerimoniously awoke by a down pour! We get home 5 hours later.
This definitely will be a weekend to measure all others against!
I hope that you all had a much better weekend than I!

Inspite of all of this, It still is a great day to be alive!
sworrall
Posted 5/27/2007 9:15 AM (#258169 - in reply to #258167)
Subject: Re: Memorial Weekend Results

Wow, SVL, that IS a bad start to a fishing trip.

We had the weekend all planned out to fish hard and grill hard, enjoy the family, and take 'er easy. Wednesday, the doc told Sue she would be in surgery to take out a non functioning gall bladder Thursday, so she's recovering at home. Had to work yesterday, and have to rig a buddy's boat today. Now that was part of 'the plan' as Hopeful says...this morning it's 45 degrees and blowing 20 MPH out of the West.

I got out for a couple hours last night. No fish, but it felt pretty good and the new Okuma reels were all I had hoped for. My new electric motor worked well, and Keith caught 3 walleyes, 3 pike, and a few smallmouth with friends on the same lake, so I stopped to see him a couple times. The 'experiment' I wanted to try worked well, too. The Aqua View worked flawlessly, too, and records in color! Soooo, not all bad, my friend.

Get that tranny fixed and get up here for a day on the water!
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/27/2007 5:14 PM (#258207 - in reply to #258167)
Subject: RE: Memorial Weekend Results

Today I took my son out on to the circus called Pewaukee. We had action on 4, one 40ish, all on 6" Slammers in Firetiger. The fish did everything but eat!

My regards to Sue!

Also, Mr. Worrall, I think you knew him, but Friday night Dick Petzke died. He was one of the charter members of the Milwaukee Chapter of MI. Health hasn't been a friend of his the last couple of years. God bless him and his family.
sworrall
Posted 5/27/2007 7:16 PM (#258217 - in reply to #258207)

Sorry to hear that Steve, yes, I knew him well. We all have to pass, I guess, but it still seems wrong somehow. Condolences to his family and friends.
butterwheels
Posted 5/27/2007 7:48 PM (#258223 - in reply to #258167)

worked yesterday and today. heading out tomorrow morning.
muskynightmare
Posted 5/27/2007 9:07 PM (#258232 - in reply to #258167)

Steve,
Lori and I hope that Sue recovers quick!
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/28/2007 2:51 PM (#258323 - in reply to #258167)

Bill Schwartz, my son Russ, and me were out on on Lake Michigan bright and early this morning. We caught 12 cohos, 2 chinooks, and a laker. My freezer and new Foodsaver are both very happy!
The lake was flat calm. It is a great day to be alive!
It was good to drag Bill out of his basement/world headquarters/ and bait factory as he is working on a special comemorative crankbait for Muskie Hunter Magazine.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 5/28/2007 2:55 PM
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/28/2007 6:09 PM (#258349 - in reply to #258167)

I just got the report from all the guys that I was supposed to be fishing with this weekend. No muskies at all, a few walleyes, but what makes the weekend, they had the normal million laughs.
Well, at least they didn't have me around to pick on, I'm a sensitive guy you know!
muskyboy
Posted 5/28/2007 7:33 PM (#258364 - in reply to #258167)

Trolled the Fox Chain this morning for a few hours, and zippo!
muskyme
Posted 5/28/2007 8:27 PM (#258370 - in reply to #258364)

Got one in 11 1/2 hours...First of the season...Only a 36 incher, but still a musky!! Only the release picture turned out (sort of)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(musky 1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments musky 1.JPG (79KB - 36 downloads)
Shep
Posted 5/28/2007 8:56 PM (#258372 - in reply to #258370)

Steve,

Sorry to hear about Dick's passing. He was one of the good guys. Glad I got to talk with him on the Southern opener. He'll be missed.
ToddM
Posted 5/28/2007 9:14 PM (#258377 - in reply to #258167)

SVl, sorry to hear about your weekend but it sounded like it ended ok on lake michigan.

Mr Worrall, I hope Sue recovers quickly and we start seeing some musky pictures!

My weekend was so-so. I got up to mercer pretty late and making a solo trip that I booked friday afternoon. First off, I want to apologize for bringing the wind. I did it, blame me. I have not fished only 4 weekends this year since jan 1 and cannot remember a day I have not fished in 20+mph winds. Some days have gusted to 50. I brought it.

My boat trailer is no fun so my first lake choise I could not get the boat off the trailer alone. I went up the road to another favorite and pulled up to my first spot and the property owner was watching me. As I got to the spot, he started playing water fetch with his lab. I still stuck a little fish and lost a decent one there later and boated a 33, several follows and a smallie. Sunday the drunken ATV'ers unplugged my battery charger and I went through my battery and my spare sunday, caught 3 pike and no musky seen, fished 3 lakes. The last lake I was fishing a boat pulled up to work towards me and I heard the one guy say he(I) is musky fishing then refferred to me to his partner that I was forrest gump because I was musky fishing, then they left. I always notice people treat you differently if you are on the water alone. Monday they unplugged me again so I scouted new lakes to fish instead, checking out boat ramps for launchability. I complained to the motel but the ATV crowd is their business and they did not care. Time for a new motel and the commerce chamber will hear about it.

It is still fun getting up north anyway.
Pointerpride102
Posted 5/28/2007 9:56 PM (#258385 - in reply to #258167)

I drove all weekend. I am finally in Salt Lake with an early morning to head to Ogden which is the final stop on this journey which began from Hartland, WI and went through Kearny, MO; Colorado Springs, CO; Cortez, CO; Moab, UT; and Salt Lake City, UT. But it will all be worth it to fish out here in some AMAZING areas!
k-bob
Posted 5/28/2007 10:47 PM (#258389 - in reply to #258385)

I had a real nice northern opener. Right when I started, a boat said they had all their action on small stuff, including two follows around 38" in the area we were talking. So, I threw all sizes of baits. A couple hours into the trip, I make a cast w/ the microdawg. The bait hits the water, I start to reel and there is resistance already. I set the hook thinking it is probably a log. Turns out to be my first of the year, a 28" musky. Later on, I am back where I saw the other boat. Wind is pounding into this weedpocket so I figure a fish has to be in there. I am throwing a grinder when a back of a musky comes out of the water and the fish misses my bait. I back off, and come back an hour later. I threw about 10 casts w/ a top raider and nothing. I was about to leave but instead grab my other pole w/ a double cowgirl. First cast, about 10 feet from the boat, I have a hit. I set the hook and the fish comes flying out of the water. It heads to the back of the boat, rolls, and tangles itself pretty good. I scoop it up in the net. After a quick photo, off she goes. Fish just hit 40". I was fishing alone and used a timer and had a weird expression on my face. Unfortunatly, it was the only pic I got. At least the fish looks good.
Krishna

(2007 fish 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2007 fish 003.jpg (116KB - 28 downloads)
butterwheels
Posted 5/28/2007 11:03 PM (#258392 - in reply to #258385)

Pointerpride102 - 5/28/2007 8:56 PM

I drove all weekend. I am finally in Salt Lake with an early morning to head to Ogden which is the final stop on this journey which began from Hartland, WI and went through Kearny, MO; Colorado Springs, CO; Cortez, CO; Moab, UT; and Salt Lake City, UT. But it will all be worth it to fish out here in some AMAZING areas!

Interesting. I did a job just north of Cortez, CO middle of last week. Stayed in Monticello, UT. Moab is definitely a cool area.

I'll be out on pineview a few days sometime during the week of june 4th. give me a shout if you're gonna have free time.
Medford Fisher
Posted 5/28/2007 11:41 PM (#258394 - in reply to #258392)

This weekend's results:

(Seth 45.JPG)

(Jake 32.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Seth 45.JPG (80KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments Jake 32.JPG (70KB - 26 downloads)
CiscoKid
Posted 5/29/2007 8:45 AM (#258417 - in reply to #258167)

The weekend definitely started slow, but picked up at the end. With a total of 16 hours fished for the weekend (typically a full day for me), I ended up getting 4 fish into the Frabill Big Kahuna! Fish ranged from 37-43”, and all were caught ripping a crankbait along the breaks (weed and sand bottom breaks). I thought the pressure around Phelps was pretty minimal for once!

For the full report see:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27...

or

http://pub34.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2902599033&cpv=2
sworrall
Posted 5/29/2007 9:10 AM (#258421 - in reply to #258167)

Sue is still pretty shaky, so we stayed off the water. Worked at Boulder Junction Marine Saturday, got out for a couple hours, didn't move a fish. I had to prepare a 40 acre parcel of land for sale Sunday, and Keith decided to bring a car hauler trailer home to haul wood for the boiler from a land clearing project on the other side of town. It turned out the 'best' day for that project was yesterday, so that's what we did until 6:30. We then grilled out and called it a day.
dannyboy
Posted 5/29/2007 9:16 AM (#258424 - in reply to #258167)

i had a rough first day too. we drove 20 miles from camp to bayfield cty. with my brand new skeeter.battery light came on my truck and a few minutes later we were at the boat launch changing the alternator. one of our experts convinced me cutting the belt was smart. big mistake.
we took about 2 hours extra getting the new one on.
once we were back running, it was very windy. we hit small lakes and put 2 small ones in net. then sunday 4 moreincluding the first musky evr in my new skeeter. monday zippo.
the conditions were rough and tough but we had fun anyway.

dannyboy

gills
Posted 5/29/2007 5:21 PM (#258533 - in reply to #258167)

I caught a 36 on friday in northern il.
jerryb
Posted 5/29/2007 9:13 PM (#258576 - in reply to #258167)

Went out Sat. 3:30pm and my 10 year old was the only one to score a 39" on a 100 spoonplug.

Jerry Borst
Spoonplugger/Instructor
Lure Retrievers
[email protected]

(0526071726b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0526071726b.jpg (56KB - 27 downloads)
Mr Musky
Posted 5/29/2007 10:04 PM (#258584 - in reply to #258167)

We had an outstanding opener in Vilas. I started the season out with a dink mid twenty inch fish but always welcome when your green! Two cast's later shamu lurks from the weeds and inhales my bucktail and after a lengthy battle around the boat 2 or 3 times she surrendered a beautiful not too scarred up 46 incher !! After the release my wife casts and she had one hit and lost it on the hookset then the next cast she had a high thirty inch class fish follow but never ate. Then on the next cast another mid twenty inch fish ate her bucktail and we got that one. Then we moved along through the cabbage for a bit and I had another fish blow up on my Bucktail, looked to be a real nice fish I set the hook as the fish hit as soon as the bait hit the water I saw nothing but a huge roll and green and she was off!! So we moved to a different spot and shortly after I get smoked again as my bucktail hits the water and I got a nice 38 incher. Later on I was looking to see when the sun was going to peak out again and I got rocked and blew the hookset. And just before the rain came in we had to head back to our cottage to let the dogs out. We cooked a pizza then decided to change lakes!!!!! So we hit this new body of water near by and we weren't out there a half hour and I have a nice beat up 31 incher come flying out of the water with my bucktail in its mouth! I hooked up and got'em. Then right at dark I switched to a new mepps bucktail that I just bought a few weeks ago. I put it on made a bomb cast and it hit the water and I took 2 cranks and bamb another fish on! 37 incher all beat up. What a day for me! And I should have had a few more!! Sunday I lost a mid thirty's I had hooked up on the figure 8 and my wife lost a dandy that decided to hit at boatside with a foot of line out! Probably a mid 40 incher. It was head shaking and throwing water from side to side and she was gone!! Monday we pounded our tails off and finally before we left we raised two really nice fish but couldn't get them to eat. I had friends on other lakes in the area and they tripled up and lost 4 fish. Another buddy of mine was on the same lake and boated a 36 and 39 his first two musky's ever! His partner blew one on a manta and they seen another 6 or 7. My new brother in law got his first musky a nice 38. They seen a bunch over by Boulder. Bucktails, jerkbaits, cranks, twitch baits it didn't matter. So for us it was a great great weekend I couldn't have asked for more!!! Sunday and Monday slowed down but Saturday things were rocking!!! I cannot wait to get back up this weekend!!

Mr Musky
CiscoKid
Posted 5/30/2007 11:34 AM (#258674 - in reply to #258167)

Here are two of the fish pics I got from the weekend.

(41_5-27May07-crop.jpg)

(43_28may07-crop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 41_5-27May07-crop.jpg (39KB - 34 downloads)
Attachments 43_28may07-crop.jpg (44KB - 34 downloads)
Slimeball
Posted 5/31/2007 2:50 AM (#258777 - in reply to #258167)

5/27/07 on a Big Game Twitch.

(Jay 5-27-07.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jay 5-27-07.JPG (135KB - 29 downloads)
johnson
Posted 5/31/2007 10:22 AM (#258818 - in reply to #258167)

Pretty fish