I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/22/2007 8:40 AM (#257273)
Subject: I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...

...to send me a copy or the original of the John Scharf article describing his history, usage and creation of injured minnows for musky fishing, which he modeled after the old Creek Chub injured minnow. If I remember correctly, he also used to use the original creek chubs.

I believe this was a Muskies Inc. article, and I think it was in the last 10 years. I remember reading it and enjoyed it, and got one of his baits recently on this board, and would like to retrieve the article. Saying this, it might have been a Musky Hunter article 100 years ago, but heck, my mind isn't what it used to be.

There is a remote chance the article was in some other publication but I really seem to remember it in the Muskies Inc. mag. Any help with this will be appreciated. I moved a huge stack of older muskie mags and fishing mags a while back and this was one of the articles in those mags.

firstsixfeet
Posted 5/22/2007 11:03 PM (#257416 - in reply to #257273)
Subject: Re: I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...

TTT, 115 hits so far and nobody can dig this up? I know several of you read the article and remember it. Somebody must have it. Wait! How old am I?? This history can't be THAT ancient, even if it was 20 years ago, a good student would remember.

C'mon, somebody can dig it up. You guys never let me down before.
BenR
Posted 5/22/2007 11:16 PM (#257417 - in reply to #257416)
Subject: Re: I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...

He died over 10 years ago...I am lucky to have many of his baits...but no idea on the article...
Derrys
Posted 5/23/2007 7:52 AM (#257463 - in reply to #257273)

I ran his name through Muskies Inc.'s search engine, but didn't get any hits. I'm not sure how much info from the magazine they put on the website. I can check into it more later today.
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/23/2007 7:54 AM (#257465 - in reply to #257417)

Knew he died, but yes, there was an article. He also had an odd jerk bait that was somewhat publicized if I remember correctly.
JohnMD
Posted 5/23/2007 8:21 AM (#257474 - in reply to #257465)

Spent about an hour last night using various search engines all came up blank

sorry

firstsixfeet
Posted 5/23/2007 9:08 AM (#257482 - in reply to #257474)

So far I have found a MN outdoor newsletter by the MN DNR, I don't know what it would be, a magazine or what for those of you who are from MN, and it lists an article titled Nostalgia Fishing, with him as an author and it sounds exactly as if it could be the title on the article I remember, since he was talking about the injured minnow that was no longer available. I hope I am not confusing him with somebody else who wrote that particular article but his name sure rings a bell.

Maybe my time frame is too recent. Geez, who is going to half remember this stuff after I am dead...?

Can somebody get that article, it was MN DNR publication January Febuary, 1970?? I no longer have email on this computer.

And try looking at nostalgia or nostalgia fishing as a search item, in Muskie INc site, which I no longer remeber my password to and have no email to contact them with. That is kind of pitiful isn't it, LOL. I guess I don't miss it that much. My family sometimes has a fit I didn't get it fixed after the last crash..
Mike Ruff
Posted 5/23/2007 1:09 PM (#257541 - in reply to #257273)
Subject: RE: I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...

This article was in the Mukie's Inc Magazine. I am pretty sure in the mid to late 80"'s. The Minn Fishing Museum (Little Falls, Mn) has a complete set of MI magazines, up to about late 90's/early2000's. Am not sure if they are out for viewing though. Will post if I find more.
Mike
Zachary
Posted 5/23/2007 2:12 PM (#257552 - in reply to #257273)
Subject: RE: I need one of the bright historians with a library on this board...

Found it on the Muskies Inc. web site. I had to manually check the articles, because the MI search engine does not work to well.

Heres the link: http://www.muskiesinc.org/ss/site/content/MINC Articles/Muskies Magazine/1986/July/The Injured Minnow - A Muskie Catching Classic, Jul, 86.htm

firstsixfeet
Posted 5/23/2007 6:15 PM (#257582 - in reply to #257273)

Thanks you guys, each poster added a little information to get closer to the article and thankyou very much, all, for the time you spent digging around looking for this. And a big thanks to Zach and John MD for doing some extra digging.

I was able to get one of these injured minnows made by John recently from Pikespawn, and after getting the lure and looking at it, it is so pristine that I felt I would just store it(hard to do since I decided a while back to ditch most of my collection because mainly I throw baits not show them). I may break down and use it anyway, it is always hard to leave one on the shelf that I have never seen work.

Like I've always said, all the smart ones post here!!!!
Violet
Posted 6/11/2007 4:43 PM (#260400 - in reply to #257582)

I was wondering if you would know of any place that I could buy one of John's injured minnows? I see you got yours at Pikespawn. Do you have an address or phone number that I could write or call? I would love to surprise someone with this wonderful gift. Thanks for any information.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/12/2007 11:57 AM (#260520 - in reply to #257273)

I have no idea where you might pick one up. E bay, or mention it on the boards is probably your best bet. Pikespawn is just another poster that happened to post one for sale on this board. I don't think he made a lot of baits, and this was the first I saw for sale. He also made a jerk bait if I remember correctly, might have made others. Just remembered the article on the injured minnow, and thought it was nice to get the bait. Good luck.
Posted 6/15/2007 11:10 AM (#261024 - in reply to #257273)

Those twitch baits might be the best ever for Northern pike too!
Posted 6/15/2007 12:14 PM (#261033 - in reply to #257273)

Anyone got a picture of one of these things?
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/16/2007 1:13 PM (#261137 - in reply to #261033)

I have several that I use from time to time. My favorite one has been modified with split rings and 2-5/0 hooks... and has nearly all the paint missing. To my knowledge John only made the twitch bait with perch being the most common color pattern . I still have a small mouth bass and a bluegill that work well and look very authentic. I purchased 10 or 15 baits from him after his article ran in MI in 1986... at the time they were going for $18. and he sold them to me for $15. because I bought so many.

Funny thing is I actually talked to Mick from American Hardwood Lures last fall about reviving a twitch bait similar to Sharf's. He seemed kind of intrigued at the prospect after watching me catch six or eight decent fish with one that trip. His main concern was that he didn't want to just copy somebody else's idea. Anyway, you could contact him and see if he's willing to produce some on a limited basis or...