Anglers that clip fins
Concerned Joe
Posted 4/19/2007 6:59 PM (#251705)
Subject: Anglers that clip fins

If there are any anglers on here that clip fins of fish or know of some that do, please do not. Fisheries managers and researchers use fin clips to mark fish for a number of reasons: track year classes, mark stocked fish, population assessments, etc. Say a particular crew is doing a population assessment and clips a particular fin to mark fish so they can come back later and see the proportion of marked and unmarked fish. If fish start being caught with the same fin clip (not by them) half way through the survey the population assessment can not be done, or at least the accuracy of the estimate is poor and questionable. Please pass the word.

Thanks

lakesuperiorkid
Posted 4/19/2007 7:44 PM (#251710 - in reply to #251705)
Subject: Re: Anglers that clip fins

Always something new with people......had better luck selling our Fishing With Bobcats t-shirts than ever think of fin clipping a musky.

What is this supposed to accomplish if they do it?

Edited by lakesuperiorkid 4/19/2007 7:47 PM
Derrys
Posted 4/20/2007 8:17 AM (#251784 - in reply to #251705)
Subject: Re: Anglers that clip fins

I used to fish Bass tournaments where both anglers had their fish in the same live well. Many of the fishermen used those paper punch deals that put a hole in the tail fin of the Bass to know whose was whose. I always wondered if they ever healed up or not. I suspected that they did not. I used a safety pin in the mouth. Probably no better, but who knows. Now I don't fish any tournaments and throw almost all of my fish back, so it's a non-factor. Interesting post, thanks.