Poll Vote request for guides
Vote request for guides
OptionResults
Yes I only guide musky
No I guide for at least one other type of fish

pgaschulz
Posted 4/18/2007 9:45 PM (#251521)
Subject: Vote request for guides

Are you a guide? If so do you just guide for musky or do you guide other species? Please tell why you have choosen either or.....if you are a former guide vote also and please explain why you do not guide anymore...Thank you in advance.....

Pga
Shane Mason
Posted 4/19/2007 6:26 AM (#251549 - in reply to #251521)
Subject: RE: Vote request for guides

Multi-species here.

My area has more to do with it than anything, Its not exactly a musky destination. I do allot of half day musky, half day other. Its all up to the client, conditions, etc. This also opens me up to a much larger client base which allows me to book mainly weekday guide trips thus keeping my weekends open to fish musky with my buddies.
sworrall
Posted 4/19/2007 6:57 AM (#251550 - in reply to #251549)

Multi Species here, too. I guide walleyes a bit locally, and believe it or not get several clients a year looking to just catch fish of any kind. Muskies are my main focus, though.
guideman
Posted 4/19/2007 7:58 AM (#251555 - in reply to #251550)

I have always been a multi species guide.
Despite the great Muskie fishing we now have here on the Big V, walleyes are still the King.

We also have a World Class Smallmouth bass fishery, great action on largemouth bass and great Pike fishing.

Targeting only one species can make it tough to fill out your schedule when you do this full time. If I was just a part time guide I would most likely be
targeting muskies exclusively.

As it is now, after the 1st of July my bookings are about 80% Muskie and the remainder are mostly Smallies & Walleyes.

"Ace"
dannyboy
Posted 4/19/2007 8:02 AM (#251558 - in reply to #251521)

i pretty much guide for musky only.
but one of my friends let the cat outa the bag that i knew how to catch crappies and bass too.
so i have had some interest in this too even though i don't advertise it.
id rather just do musky but will guide bass and crappie if i have too.
and yes i enjoy it too, just not as much as the maskinonge........

dannyboy

[email protected]

www.dannyboysguideservice.com
Ty Sennett
Posted 4/19/2007 8:14 AM (#251564 - in reply to #251521)

May:multispecies
June-November: just muskies

Ty
nwild
Posted 4/19/2007 8:20 AM (#251566 - in reply to #251558)

Muskies only. I have turned down several clients that wanted to fish walleye. I can catch 'eyes also, but I am not set up properly to run a walleye service, nor do I have the desire. It isn't so much about booking everyday possible with me. I would rather fish muskies on my own for a day instead of jigging for walleye. Once musky season starts I very rarely fish anything else.
muskiebreath
Posted 4/19/2007 8:30 AM (#251567 - in reply to #251521)

Muskie only-everything else sucks!! LOL Ive honestly had no desire to fish for anything else. This year im even heading south for the entire month of may to guide in indiania. Jason Hamernick muskiebreath.com
MikeHulbert
Posted 4/19/2007 8:36 AM (#251570 - in reply to #251521)
Subject: Re: Vote request for guides

Muskies only for me as well.

Just can't get excited about catching a fish I can put in my pocket or inside my boot.

MUSKY fishing about 200+ days a year.
I'm glad it's so much fun or I would probably get sick of it!

Edited by MikeHulbert 4/19/2007 8:37 AM
muskiebreath
Posted 4/19/2007 8:49 AM (#251572 - in reply to #251521)

Tanner lies about the walleye thing, Tanner is a walleye!!!!
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/19/2007 9:10 AM (#251578 - in reply to #251521)

I do about 30 walleye trips a year, 6 on the Fox, 9 on Winnie, and 15 on Green Bay. Often the Winnie and Bay trips are part of a 2 day with regulars where we do muskies one day and walleyes the next. The Fox and Bay walleye trips are for big ones...last year in 14 trips on the bay in August for walleyes we had 18 over 30" and 100 over 27". I used to only fish for walleyes about 15 years ago....then I got the musky bug. The majority of my season is musky though...about 190+ days of the season....maybe more now that Wisconsin passed the Southern Zone extension through December 30th.

Only 16 days until the opener for 2007!!!!!!

Good luck to all this year!!!!

Dennis

As an edit to the intial post here...for clarity....I consider myself a musky guide...95% of the walleye trips are with musky clients who want a change of pace and / or to crack the 30" mark for a walleye. I can hold my own still on the walleyes, but if you're looling for a walleye guide to teach you the full range...I'm not it...I can recommend a few top notch pros for the walleyes.

Edited by Dennis Radloff 4/19/2007 12:51 PM
RICK'S ROD
Posted 4/19/2007 9:42 AM (#251587 - in reply to #251521)

I guide for smallmouth and walleye early in the year. I get requests after Memorial Day to fish for walleyes and smallies, but not too often. I get most of my business as referral from the resort on the flowage, and most people staying there want to catch anything from perch to crappies to walleyes and bass and occasionally muskie. I enjoy fishing for just about anything. I do like fishing for muskies more than any of the other species, but I fish for what the clients want.

Rick
Donnie3737
Posted 4/19/2007 9:49 AM (#251591 - in reply to #251521)

When I guided, (I don't any more) I used to fish ONLY muskies!! I enjoyed taking the kids fishing for walleyes, but my heart was always in catching MUSKIES!
mskygyd
Posted 4/19/2007 10:05 AM (#251602 - in reply to #251521)

I primarily guide for muskies - but I am a multi species guide.
In summer I am on a great big bass and pike bite.
I sometimes split the day - Muskies in the morning - bass, walleye and pike later.
Some clients can't pound muskies all day and want some fast action that bass and pike provide. Some hardcore musky clients will throw big baits all day until their arms don't function any more. Other clients have a kid along and need lots of action. I like to be versatile - alot of times we will tie into a musky while bass or pike fishing - or a huge girl comes up and slams a bass on line. Even the musky fanatic gets a kick out of boating a couple dozen 4#-5# Bass. Some of our biggest muskies have been caught while fly fishing for bass with big flies like a Clauser or Deceiver. I do guide muskies on 9' 10 and 12 weight rods as well. I rarely guide on water that doesn't have muskies. 15 seasons guiding - works for me.

Kevin Moore
Muskies etc. Guide Service
http://www.muskiesetc.com

jmuskieking
Posted 4/19/2007 11:24 AM (#251610 - in reply to #251521)

Just Musky. I haven't fished for any anything else in over 10 years. Bass, Walleye, bluegill and crappie just don't get the heart pumping like the musky does!
DUCK
Posted 4/19/2007 12:07 PM (#251631 - in reply to #251521)

Musky, Bass, Walleye, Northen Pike, Crappie, Sunnies. I do it all. My love for musky fishing is #1 but just be on the water wetting a line is what its all about for me.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/19/2007 4:29 PM (#251686 - in reply to #251521)

I am a guide who takes all kinds of people fishing. I am mostly after the mighty muskie but I will guide for anything my clients want to catch. With that said I do 95% of my guide jobs for muskies on open water. I will do 75% walleye guide jobs in the winter as soon as the ice forms.

Most of my hard core muskie clients will do a "other fish" trip at one time or another. Maybe it's a panfish outing with the kids and/or mom. Maybe it's a walleye afternoon with slip bobbers. Heck even crappies in the Spring. You would not believe some of the fun that goes on when dad and the kids have a panfish compitition. I know a few of the dads will remember those days forever.

Winter it's walleyes in the afternoons. Northerns and panfish in the mornings through the ice. Some all day outings we will fish for everything, starting with pike and weed walleyes, then gills and perch, then back to deep water walleyes for the night bite.

All in all I guide for everything I guess. I am on the water all season and as soon as it freezes I am all over the ice until it gets unsafe and I have to quit for a while. Perfect time to take care of the "honey due list" that builds up all winter.

I am a hardcore muskie guide but I don't have this monster ego that would prevent me from doing other guide jobs, like walleyes, panfish or other baitfish. I can tell you that when I do "other fish" guide jobs, it does hurt some when I watch people fishing for muskies around me.

Muskies are the king and most everyone wants to catch the king. I know I do. Long live the king......................

7Islands
Posted 4/20/2007 7:19 AM (#251776 - in reply to #251521)

I love to fish for Muskies;however I take people out for both walleyes and smallmouth also.Its a nice break from muskie fishing at times and definately a change of pace
J.Sloan
Posted 4/20/2007 9:34 AM (#251799 - in reply to #251521)

Mostly muskies, but do have access to some fantastic trophy large/smallmouth bas fishing, and target those when the bite is on. Still prefer the muskies, though. But like Howie said, some variety thrown in is sure a nice change of pace.

JS
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2007 11:06 PM (#252051 - in reply to #251799)

I even guide crappies now and again. Last year, two parties wanted Perch. We went out and got 'em.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 4/22/2007 1:39 PM (#252095 - in reply to #251521)

I prefer to fish for musky. But I have several clients book me for pike also. Most of the fall we catch big pike musky fishing anyway.
Jeff Hanson
Madisonmuskyguide.com
Justin Gaiche
Posted 4/22/2007 7:27 PM (#252141 - in reply to #251610)

I just love fishing. You want to go? OK! Catfish, sure, why not. I've been blessed to live in Wisconsin where variety abounds from rough fish to Great Lakes salmon, a taste of the south, a taste of Canada. I'm a lucky man and won't descriminate what slim is in my boat. Shoot...I've had fun guiding bluegills before.

Justin Gaiche
www.victoryoutdoors.net