Virgina Tech Shootings
Big Perc
Posted 4/16/2007 2:47 PM (#251026)
Subject: Virgina Tech Shootings

Just thought I would say to keep the families of all the victims in your thoughts and prayer on this dark day for Virgina Tech...the shooter got off way too easy...but still say a little something extra in whatever way it is you talk with the one upstairs today...

Matt Percival
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/16/2007 3:24 PM (#251034 - in reply to #251026)
Subject: RE: Virgina Tech Shootings

Well said Matt.

In the big picture of life this truely casts a dark shadow over the little things we a wrapped up in today.

We are praying for grace, comfort, and strength for all those families.
MuskyTime
Posted 4/16/2007 3:52 PM (#251037 - in reply to #251026)
Subject: Re: Virgina Tech Shootings

Amen!
Got Esox?
Posted 4/16/2007 9:08 PM (#251087 - in reply to #251026)

I must say I went walleye fishing this evening to forget about reality for a couple of hours but my thoughts kept coming back to this terrible incident and praying for those you have lost a loved one today. I kept asking myself why? It really puts things into perspective. Make sure you hug your loved ones tonight.
2T Critter
Posted 4/16/2007 9:10 PM (#251088 - in reply to #251026)
Subject: RE: Virgina Tech Shootings

Like my wife says-Don't sweat the small stuff. Especially on a day like today at Virginia Tech.
cjrich
Posted 4/17/2007 7:44 PM (#251269 - in reply to #251026)

Maybe this will get the message across to the hunters who whenever they hear ANYTHING about gun control immediately say, "I am not giving up my guns."

Some folks, no matter how many times you explain to them in excruciating specificity, just refuse to understand that nobody has ever suggested taking away anyone's shotguns.

This maniac strolled in and purchased a handgun (Virginia has (very soon to be HAD) the most lax laws in the country for the purchase of handguns), waited 30 days to purchase another ... and then started shooting.

I sincerely hope that the wrongful death lawsuits bankrupt the school. One of the kid's Professor's (a writing teacher) alerted the school administration that the guy's writing reflected that he was a time-bomb. The school brushed her off. The administration probably ran the "it's a free country and the guy is entitled to free-speech" mantra.

Yes, those poor families of the kids that were killed. What a tragedy.

Craig

Edited by cjrich 4/17/2007 7:46 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/17/2007 8:52 PM (#251292 - in reply to #251269)

This thread probably won't last long but, I would hate to see any wrongful death suit being successfully pressed in this case.

Everytime something bad happens, we seem to think there is blame to be laid directly at someone else's doorstep. In this case clearly that is true, the kid that did the shooting was at fault and he's dead.

I don't think the school wit 20+ thousand students, 2000+ acre campus, 100 + buildings, can shut down the equivalent of a small city because there is what appears to be a domestic shooting on campus(as was the early portion of this guys activities-edit added). Maybe they will do so in the future, but I don't think that the procedure bodes well for villages and cities which will be in the same position in the future. It was an unpredictable event. Sorry.

As for nuts, I have worked with lots and lots of people over time, and while in college, interacted with several hundred, and shared info with dorm staff members on a number of nuts. There are a lot of goofballs out there. Currently there is no law forcing depressed patients, sociopaths, psychopaths or schizophrenics into treatment until they act out in a way that somehow disturbs society. Any of these categories are capable of mayhem, but for the most part, they don't do things like this, and primarily mess up their own lives and the lives of their families.

As one that doesn't totally trust my government, and some of the things being done by the Bush administration have been somewhat scary, I don't want tight gun controls. How's that for paranoia??

Edited by firstsixfeet 4/17/2007 9:47 PM
sworrall
Posted 4/17/2007 9:08 PM (#251295 - in reply to #251026)

FSF,
I can't express my dismay over the loss of life in this tragedy and the deep sadness I feel for their families and friends, but...

I have to agree with you.
Muskie Pat
Posted 4/17/2007 9:16 PM (#251298 - in reply to #251026)

Ah yes, here we go with the same old kneejerk reaction garbage. Don't blame the wacko that did it. Blame an inanimate object. I will never give up my "Liberty" because some jerk wants to do something horrible. Wait until they try to ban your fishing, Craig. Not all shooters are hunters. And who are you to say someone can't protect themselves or their family. Nobody knows all the facts yet. Why don't we let the families grieve before we start the whole 2nd Amendment debate. Pat
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/17/2007 9:43 PM (#251308 - in reply to #251295)

These types of incidents are unfathomable. It is impossible to grasp the enormity of the situation even after seeing it non-stop on TV for a day and a half, and reading about it in depth on a couple websites. It's just too weird and horrible.

I don't think the pain those affected are feeling can be understood.

I will say I find it distasteful when a group or individual instantly latches onto to this type of tragedy to push their agendas for things like gun control, lawsuits, mental health screenings, etc. Somehow, the "I feel terrible for their families" statements don't quite ring as true when they preface or follow calls for those types of things this close to the actual incident itself. This type of thing is happening in a number of places on the Internet and in the news media.

If you want to argue for gun control, fine. If you want to argue that V.T. Univ. dropped the ball with how they handled the first shooting or how they knew this student was dangerous, fine.

But why not leave that type of ugliness for a bit down the road after the whole incident has been digested, investigated, and those most closely stricken have had time to grieve, or at least come to terms the best they can with what has happened to them?

IMHO.

Kevin Dunn
sworrall
Posted 4/17/2007 9:53 PM (#251313 - in reply to #251308)

Kevin,
Well said, sir.