Question for the Guides who tune in
TheWaterWolf
Posted 4/16/2007 12:10 PM (#251003)
Subject: Question for the Guides who tune in

You have a 1st time client, you give them the option of two days in the month
of November.
You then have to cancel within 12 hrs of the departure time.

Do you do anything to compinsate for the inconvience to the client?

Not that I'm letting the cat out of the bag, but it was me being guided, I had to take off of work, drive to get some of my favorite rods/reels and lures.
The guide offered nothing, didn't even try to re-schedule.

Just curious to see if my thinking that I would have made some attempt
at damage control over this.

Thanks
Karl
sworrall
Posted 4/16/2007 12:43 PM (#251013 - in reply to #251003)
Subject: RE: Question for the Guides who tune in

If weather was the culprit, I'd have tried to reschedule. If it was a personal issue on my part, I'd have done the same and returned your deposit.
guideman
Posted 4/16/2007 12:55 PM (#251015 - in reply to #251003)

First off, I would have made an attemp to get another guide to do the trip for me. If that failed I would have ask if it was possible for you to re-schedule your
trip.

If all else failed I would have given you a half day free for your trouble. There isn't anything more important to a guide than his reputation.

The last thing I'd want to get around is that I blew off a customer. Believe me if this guy makes a practice of this, he
won't be in business to long.

Always do your homework when you hire a guide. There are plenty of good ones out there. You unfortunately didn't get one of them.

Better luck the next time.

"Ace"
TheWaterWolf
Posted 4/16/2007 5:05 PM (#251044 - in reply to #251013)

Thanks Steve

Not weather, strictly his own issues, a deposit was offered but not wanted so that
was not an issue just the hoops I went through.

Karl

TheWaterWolf
Posted 4/16/2007 5:14 PM (#251045 - in reply to #251015)

Hey Ace,
Unfortunately this one get's a lot of TV time and thus i think allot of people are
unaware.
Yeah I got sucked in to the 'i've got a differnt way to rig suckers' after a slew
of 'bad beats' that year. But only that year and only suckers. The rest of my fall
was nothing short of amazing. So in retrospect, I more feel I'd have given it away.
Also, I been out with a few others and most have added value that I've used
after, one specifically helped me to my sucess last fall and that was Rob Manthi.

Thanks Ace

Karl
sworrall
Posted 4/16/2007 6:46 PM (#251065 - in reply to #251045)

No deposit, then you are on your own, pretty much.

Most guides will not offer anything on a canceled day unless there's money down.
Josh Borovsky
Posted 4/16/2007 8:33 PM (#251080 - in reply to #251003)

Hi Karl,

In that situation . . . I have a written policy stating I will refund the deposit. I would also try to line-up another reputable guide but talk to the client first to see if they prefer a replacement guide or a refund. Twelve hours notice that's tough. Did he give you a reason?

Josh Borovsky
www.promuskieguide.com
Esox2hart
Posted 4/16/2007 8:51 PM (#251083 - in reply to #251003)
Subject: Re: Question for the Guides who tune in

Karl,
I would have to agree with josh on this one. I personaly have taken trips from other guides for that reason. They can't make it and hand them to me. Which in my case is ok because I get to make a new impression for the client. Hopefully satisfy them and turn them to me.
guideman
Posted 4/16/2007 10:25 PM (#251104 - in reply to #251083)

Steve,
There are many times late in the season that I get calls at the last minute. If the weather looks good for a trip in late November, I may get 10 calls for the weekend. Not much of a chance to send any deposit.

That doesn't mean that customer can't count on me to be there. Deposit or not, most of my customers have to drive a long way to go fishing with me.
Many have to leave the day before, just to be there in the morning. Would it be fair to them to let them make that trip and have you be a no show just because no deposit was made?
God I hope not!

As I said before, my reputation is what keeps me in business and if you value the reputation, you have taken years to earn I think you show up for the date. Isn't that what being a professional is all about? It is in my book. Afterall, you have all winter to take a day off.

"Ace"

MikeHulbert
Posted 4/17/2007 7:18 AM (#251134 - in reply to #251003)

depends on why the guy canceled...

What happens when I have guys cancle on me a few hours before a trip? I don't take deposits...so I am out $300.00...

If it was weather, I understand. If it was personal business I understand.

If the guy just said, "We can't go fishing tomorrow" then I would have asked "why"....
Steve Jonesi
Posted 4/17/2007 7:30 AM (#251136 - in reply to #251003)

If something really crazy came up, I'd offer another guide or a refund, if a deposit had been paid. This street goes both ways. I had a client cancel 3 days on short notice as his wife was in the hospital. "Don't worry, I'll take good care of ya'". I tried calling several times to see that everything was ok with his wife too. I hadn't taken a deposit and was out over $1000. Never heard from him . I think some forget it's a business. Steve
guideman
Posted 4/17/2007 9:12 AM (#251154 - in reply to #251136)

I found out a long time ago that if you want to make sure they show up, get a deposit. There are a few exceptions when it's a last minute booking however, all trips that are booked in advance I require a deposit of $100.00 per day.
You'll find out for that kind of money people will show up.

I have a 30 day cancellation policy however if I can get another booking for that day, I refund their deposit. If not I'll apply their deposit to the next trip they book with me.

Deposits will also cut down on the number of those bad weather days, when you go to pick them up and they deside they don't want to go fishing.
You'll be surprised how the thought of losing that $100.00 deposit, will really motivate people into going fishing in the rain.

Deposits are just good business, it's as simple as that. I know my clients are going to be there in the morning when I arrive. If not, I'm still covered for my expences, with the $100.00 deposit

"Ace"

Edited by guideman 4/17/2007 9:18 AM
dannyboy
Posted 4/17/2007 10:04 AM (#251165 - in reply to #251003)

i would have refunded if there was a deposit.
tried to get another guide.
if i couldn't.
i would have tried to reschedule.
also would have given a free 1/2 day for my apologies.

things do come up from time to time and a clear plan might be needed.
the last thing i would do is leave the client hanging. not only would I lose a client but also your reputation with the client and anyone the client tells.word of mouth is the best advertising for a guide.

[email protected]
www.dannyboysguideservice.com
musky crazy
laona , wi
715-674-2061
TheWaterWolf
Posted 4/17/2007 11:31 AM (#251182 - in reply to #251003)

Thanks all,

Ace - Me and a bud may make our fist trip to LVM
we will likely want to get a crash course to make the
trip a bit more sucessful. Not sure when but it's on the
Radar
Canada's passport deal, may really help your
business.

I saw a few questions as to why the cancellation-
His wife was sick with a cold/flu deal ( hunch he needed the day to prep for hunting ).
I guess the 'why' to me at that late notice is minimal, to my hope that he offers what some
had said here; which is reschedule and I'll throw in a partial day extra.

As far as the deposit - two weeks proir I offer to drive to his house (were both in the Milwaukee area)
and give him the full amount.

Strictly from a customer point of veiw, I'm the type who with in a week of the date it will take
a major emergancy/act of congress to make cancel.

Weather --- cold and windy mid 30's 15 to 20 mph, I'd have gone. And, I did
go ....solo..... for spite,and saltiness.

Thanks again
Karl

Edited by TheWaterWolf 4/17/2007 11:37 AM
CiscoKid
Posted 4/17/2007 12:16 PM (#251188 - in reply to #251003)

I agree with alot of others here, especially Ace. I haven't been in the business of guiding that long, but have been in the "customer service" business since I started working. The customer is #1.

I also require deposits for the reason Ace mentioned. I always give the client a chance to reschedule if they need to cancel. Fortunately I have only had one situation where I had to cancel/reschedule a trip due to me becoming sick from some bad food. Met the clients that morning at 4:00 am despite being sick, talked things over and I agreed to call later that day to make arrangements, and drove 1 1/2 hours back to my cabin. Slept abit, rehydrated, and drove the 1 1/2 hours back to the clients cabin to take them out. I still offered them they could fish as long as they wanted, and I believe(I don't remember anymore) I offered them half day price. Ended up fishing somewhere around 8-10 hours, and boated 5 fish luckily.

Even though I felt terrible for only giving them a half day of fishing, there is only so much one can do sometimes. Situations pop up, and regardless of reason we should all (client and guide) try to accomodate in my opinion.

Leaving the client hanging, or guide for that matter, is never a good deal.
guideman
Posted 4/17/2007 5:15 PM (#251239 - in reply to #251188)

Hey Karl,
I'll look forward to it. Have a great season!

"Ace"