Things to cover in a fishing clinic
tuffy1
Posted 4/13/2007 9:10 AM (#250559)
Subject: Things to cover in a fishing clinic

Okay, so I'm doing a fishing clinic for a limited group of kids and parents at the end of the month. It's going to be a basic clinic focusing on knots, rigging twisters on jigs, tubes, plastic worms etc. Spooling line. All that fun stuff.

What are some things I should consider going over? This would be considered a newbie audience, so there is limited knowledge to start with.

I'm also going to cover some release information as there is a great catch and release ethic on this lake, and there are muskies in it, so if by chance they encounter one, I want them to be confident that they are doing what's right for the fish. Thankfully, they are really receptive to this.

What else should I cover?
MuskyStalker
Posted 4/13/2007 9:27 AM (#250563 - in reply to #250559)
Subject: Re: Things to cover in a fishing clinic

Try to cover the basics...Knots, casting mechanics, retrieves, a few basic baits and how to work them, and CPR. That should do it. Dont over load them. Have fun and be patient and everyone will have fun and learn something.
Pathfinder44
Posted 4/13/2007 9:34 AM (#250564 - in reply to #250559)

Maybe touch base on how to pick a decent rod and reel to fit the kids hands, this will make everything more comfortable for them and hopefully keep them interested longer. Also the different reel types for beginners, there probably going to want to stay away from baitcasters for a while. But definitally bring one and show them how they all work.Also remind them about that positive attitude we "always" have and how we keep our glasses" half full" and not half empty. Probably first aid should be covered also I remember getting hooks in alot of strange places as a kid.
hotlanta
Posted 4/13/2007 9:43 AM (#250566 - in reply to #250564)

Safety should be a topic, safe casting, life jackets, safety around water and in boats, basic stuff we take for granted. Chris
esoxaddict
Posted 4/13/2007 10:10 AM (#250575 - in reply to #250559)

Hey Joel, have you though about maybe having a place where they can cast, maybe give out prizes for distance and accuracy? Some of the younger kids might need something to keep them from getting bored....
tuffy1
Posted 4/13/2007 10:18 AM (#250576 - in reply to #250575)

They'll definitely have a place to cast, as we're doing it on a lake. Then we're going to hit the water afterwards for some crumbsnatchers.

Annnd, what do you mean get bored??? There is no possible way that can happen with me as an instructer. If they look bored, they're going in the drink. heh heh heh
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/13/2007 10:23 AM (#250578 - in reply to #250559)
Subject: RE: Things to cover in a fishing clinic

Joel, make sure they know the drag needs to be tight enough so the bait retrieves when they reel it in.

Kevin

Waterpark madness.
ghitierman
Posted 4/13/2007 10:26 AM (#250579 - in reply to #250559)

My only advise is that for any sort of interaction the kids participate in they need to succeed. If they are tying knots pick easy ones. If your teaching beginners use spincasting tackle. If your taking them fishing for crumbmunchers make sure the crumbmunchers are there. I have found that kids are so freakin' impressionable that if you don't succeed the first time you may never succeed as they will lose all intrest in the subject.
This sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. How did you get this gig

Edited by ghitierman 4/13/2007 10:33 AM
tuffy1
Posted 4/13/2007 10:58 AM (#250589 - in reply to #250579)

I hear ya there Gman.

I actually volunteered to do it for the residents of the lake my parents live on. They have a pretty good fishery there, but not many of them really know what they are doing. I was at one of their fish commitee meetings this winter and said I'd do that so they could have some fun with the lake.

They were all interested (especially the dads), and so I set it up. Well, working on setting it up. Like I mentioned earlier, they really want to be in tune with whats best for the fish too, so I can give them lots of good CPR info. Should be fun.

Also, Thanks Travis!!!!!
Dacron + Dip
Posted 4/13/2007 11:26 AM (#250594 - in reply to #250559)

Show kids to identify the different species and what time of the year they spawn.
CiscoKid
Posted 4/13/2007 12:21 PM (#250602 - in reply to #250559)

Maybe touch on selective harvest. In-Fisherman guys talk about this alot, and I believe in it also. It's a good thing to keep some fish to keep populations in check and so forth. Kids may not be happy when they find out they can't keep a few pannies for supper.

How about showing some basics on untangling messes? I know I had my fair share of it as a kid, and got pretty good at some pretty good tangles.

Some simple knowledge on where to find 'gills, bass, pike, etc...

I am glad I could help you out Joel. Did you receive the lures yet?
tuffy1
Posted 4/13/2007 1:06 PM (#250615 - in reply to #250602)

Good point on the selective harvest Travis. I'll definitely make it a point to talk about that.

I haven't gotten the baits yet, but I'm sure there out there somewhere. Thanks again!
Jim L
Posted 4/14/2007 8:53 AM (#250731 - in reply to #250559)

I would teach them how to set up and use a slip bobber. Probably the most effective method of catching most species especially for new comers. It is easier to teach "watch the bobber" than the sensory feel of a subtle bite or snag.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/14/2007 7:19 PM (#250791 - in reply to #250615)

Joel; How about proper tools for removing hooks from fish and fisherman. INCLUDING A FILE!!!:)
Ed B.
Posted 4/14/2007 8:28 PM (#250801 - in reply to #250559)

I would touch a little bit on ethics such as proper disposal of line in a retie, snack wrappers, soda cans. If there is a boat launch talk to them about invasive species, eurasian millfoil, zebra mussels. Explain how to check a trailer/boat before leaving water. Maybe encourage there parents on going over the fishing reg. book. I really liked the guys comment on selective harvest. The kids are the future and it never hurts to give them all the info they need be be a responsible fisherperson.
BuckeyeMuskie
Posted 4/15/2007 8:58 AM (#250826 - in reply to #250801)

I agree with fish identification. Most muskie fisherman get upset when someone keeps an incidental muskie catch because they dont know what they have. If you contact your dnr they should be able to provide fish id posters or booklets. Brian.
Jomusky
Posted 4/15/2007 9:39 AM (#250832 - in reply to #250559)

Covering CPR and the right tools to have is great. The more people we can educate the better.

Letting a musky go is great but what is the point if it is mishandled to the point that it would die anyways.

Safety would be another very good topic. How about a good hook cutter and maybe some tips on what to do if a hook would be taken in the wrong spot.

Great work Tuffy1!!!