Poll Guiding from shore, Is it possible?
Guiding from shore, Is it possible?
OptionResults
Yes it is possible53 Votes - [72.6%]
No way, impossible20 Votes - [27.4%]

Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2007 10:08 PM (#250283)
Subject: Guiding from shore, Is it possible?

What do you think and WHY? What if this person was to cater to a niche type market, say fly fishing from muskies from shore? I am talking guide from shore mainly for muskies.

Edited by Pointerpride102 4/11/2007 10:33 PM
muskyboy
Posted 4/11/2007 10:09 PM (#250284 - in reply to #250283)
Subject: Re: Guiding from shore, Is it possible?

On a river, sure
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 4/11/2007 10:15 PM (#250287 - in reply to #250283)
Subject: RE: Guiding from shore, Is it possible?

I know someone who does shore trips on the wisconsin river and has done well> His success rate very good by the way.

Pfeiff
esoxhunter951
Posted 4/11/2007 10:28 PM (#250288 - in reply to #250283)

i would think people would guide from shore on rivers for salmon.

if im not mistaken, on one of babe winkelman's shows in alaska he and his family were guided from shore for salmon. but i could be wrong
WI_guy_turnedMudDuck
Posted 4/11/2007 11:32 PM (#250298 - in reply to #250283)

If there was a fishable population present and the best way to access those fish was from shore you would have a market. So yes, possible.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/11/2007 11:54 PM (#250300 - in reply to #250283)

Mike, I'll give you at least a half dozen spots. You are one of the coolest young guys in the world of this sport (althougth a-roz, guts, the tesarek guys, and ulbian are almost tied).
marine_1
Posted 4/12/2007 12:12 AM (#250301 - in reply to #250283)

On a river you bet. Harder sell on a lake probably a much lower success rate as well.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/12/2007 6:27 AM (#250308 - in reply to #250283)

Already being done in many areas including this. Not a sole tactic that is used by any current(no pun inteneded) guide though. Sometimes only a month or less when decent amount of fish are legally accessable that way on alot of waters.
Got Esox?
Posted 4/12/2007 7:51 AM (#250313 - in reply to #250283)

Could be a niche' market to serve those people who would like to be guided but feel more comfortable on land as oppose to being in a boat. If you can effectively guide for mulitspecies from shore/wading it would be a select offering and a way to differentiate yourself from other guiding services.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/12/2007 11:52 AM (#250360 - in reply to #250283)

For those that are saying it is not possible, I would like to hear your reasons why. I'm not looking to attack, just would like to hear the other side and reasons why they think it would not work out.
guts
Posted 4/12/2007 3:03 PM (#250404 - in reply to #250300)

muskynightmare - 4/11/2007 11:54 PM

Mike, I'll give you at least a half dozen spots. You are one of the coolest young guys in the world of this sport (althougth a-roz, guts, the tesarek guys, and ulbian are almost tied).
yes its possible on rivers expecially thanks for the kind words nightmare and some rivers have muskys in them that you can easyly cast across like the bigfork river here in MN so it would be covering the same amount of water the only problem would be fishing some laydown on steep banks were you cant cast to them on shore

Edited by guts 4/12/2007 3:23 PM
ghoti
Posted 4/12/2007 4:20 PM (#250421 - in reply to #250283)

Sharing your boat(waders) could get a little dicey!
dougj
Posted 4/12/2007 6:06 PM (#250438 - in reply to #250360)

I suspect that it may be possible to do on a river system, almost impossible on a lake.

My question would be is that to be a guide you would also need clients. How many folks would be interested in fishing muskies from shore and paying for the experience without some sort of a proven record of success?

I'm sure this would be the biggest problem. If you can show success and do it on a consistent basis then maybe, but otherwise it will be hard to do.

Doug Johnson
ulbian
Posted 4/12/2007 6:23 PM (#250440 - in reply to #250283)

Rob - How young do you think I am?

guts - They are called commas and periods, for the love of all that is holy use them!

Mike - You know where I stand on this. Knowing the water you have in mind definately makes it an intriguing possibility. The best thing you have going is your passion. I enjoy that immensely when you are in my boat simply because you've got a diversified set of experiences and are definately not brainwashed into a "monkey see, monkey do" type of approach. Some guys have the passion to be on the water in a boat for over 100 days a year but you go beyond that. You'll stand up to your armpits in cold water if you know muskies are present and won't get discouraged casting at the same thing for hours on end day after day. That's something not everyone has. The cool thing about that is that when I drag your sorry butt for a few miles back into a nearly impossible trout stream to fish you won't complain about it or get to the point where I'd drown you.
fish4musky1
Posted 4/12/2007 7:05 PM (#250455 - in reply to #250283)

i think guiding for muskies from shore would be really hard to do. maybe not the catching part

Edited by fish4musky1 4/12/2007 7:11 PM
Greg @ Agate Bay Lod
Posted 4/12/2007 11:28 PM (#250519 - in reply to #250455)

Life is the art of the possible. Those that make have an idea they think will work, and have the passion, always have a chance at success.

I can see you doing that...

Good luck!

All the best,
guts
Posted 4/13/2007 6:12 AM (#250530 - in reply to #250440)

ulbian - 4/12/2007 6:23 PM

Rob - How young do you think I am?

guts - They are called commas and periods, for the love of all that is holy use them!

Mike - You know where I stand on this. Knowing the water you have in mind definately makes it an intriguing possibility. The best thing you have going is your passion. I enjoy that immensely when you are in my boat simply because you've got a diversified set of experiences and are definately not brainwashed into a "monkey see, monkey do" type of approach. Some guys have the passion to be on the water in a boat for over 100 days a year but you go beyond that. You'll stand up to your armpits in cold water if you know muskies are present and won't get discouraged casting at the same thing for hours on end day after day. That's something not everyone has. The cool thing about that is that when I drag your sorry butt for a few miles back into a nearly impossible trout stream to fish you won't complain about it or get to the point where I'd drown you.
.............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol
castmaster
Posted 4/13/2007 12:21 PM (#250601 - in reply to #250283)

i see access being one of the limiting factors. if you have extensive access to private shoreline on rivers i'll bet you could make a go of it IF you are able to produce fish consistently or to teach something others are willing to pay to learn.

if you will be focusing on public stretches of shoreline unless you have some unique methods or something to set yourself apart most would just likely fish those same stretches on their own.

i know i'd be hard pressed to spend much $$ on a guide fishing from shore unless he was VERY well versed in something i was interested in learning, and also had access to stretches of water i was unable to access on my own.
Dacron + Dip
Posted 4/13/2007 12:43 PM (#250608 - in reply to #250283)

Bingo. Anyone can wealk the shore, but not everyone owns a boat. It's a cool idea Pointer, and I know that the quality of pictures you have in your reports would be a great send-off or momento for guests.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/13/2007 1:34 PM (#250625 - in reply to #250283)

Bob, You are younger than I am! LOL

Pointer, In addition to showing you spots, I'd hire you!

Guts, your welcome.
MuskyTime
Posted 4/13/2007 2:26 PM (#250635 - in reply to #250283)

In regards to guiding from shore on a river,

There is a knack to river fishing that takes time to develop. It would not be a matter of just showing someone where to cast, but mainly how to work particular bait, what baits work best in the current, speed and location etc. There are many other variables to river fishing such as what do the fish do (movement and feeding tendencies) when the water is high or low, or weather conditions such as heavy rains and long droughts. Seasonal movements are also key to musky location in a river. These are things what would be most valuable to the client than just showing them good spots to fish. Learning from a knowledgeable river fisherman would be worth the price. There are many musky fishermen without boats that could learn a lot from a seasoned shore fisherman. I really feel that good river fishermen make great lake fisherman but good lake fishermen make poor river fishermen.

Ed

hodaghawg
Posted 4/13/2007 8:05 PM (#250686 - in reply to #250283)

I don't know how many spots you have but I would worry about showing people how to do it and then finding them in the same spots while trying to guide new clients. (hope there are no English teachers reading, i think that is a run-on sentence)
Ed. Beese
Posted 4/13/2007 10:15 PM (#250713 - in reply to #250283)

If you are considering guiding, and it is going to be a river which I assume it is it could be a very viable option. The main things to consider from personal experiences are 1. Fish population I assume there is a healthy population or you would not be considering the guiding aspect. River fish can and will be more aggresive, and less affected by other variables.
2. Entry and extraction points? Are there sufficiant points of entry, and exit? Prefferably the best situation would be were you could have the clients meet you at a bridge upriver and park your rig there, then jump in with them and head downriver to another bridge, and then fish up to your truck.
3. Physicall fittness of your potential clients. It is fine for a fit agile person to throw on some waders, which you know have terrible ankle support, and fish up river for 1-10 miles on slippery rocks bucking current. For older and younger clients father/son, overweight or clumbsy clients it is a differnt story. So being upfront and lettining them know what they are in for is a must. Just let them know it will be worth the hike potentially. That brings up the liability factor in this sue happy world we live in. You must talk to your innsurance agent, and make sure you have a liability policy to cover an accident. Also have an attorny draft you a release waiver, holding you harmless in case of an accident. There are so many variables that factor in when hiking/wading up river with wet rocks, current, and droppoffs.
4. Plan of action in case of an accident or emergency. So many things can happen, slipping and falling, spraining ankles, breaking a wrist/arm, hitting your head on a rock, getting a stick in your eye, filling wadders and potentially drowning.It would be a good idea to take a first aide/cpr course. You can take them through the American Red Cross for a nominal fee usually on a Saturday or at night. Not only is it priceless stuff to know it may also reduce your liability rates.
I personally think that you will never find any more bueaty, peace, or solitude than you will find walking a small river. One thing to consider would be a small 10-12ft riveted jon boat, they are light weight and one guy can easilly portage them around obticals. This is going to be my first year as a guide. I will primarily guide for muskies, and then walleyes and trophy brown trout on rivers. I hope i did not discourage you there are just alot of variables on the river. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. I hope this information was a little bit helpful. have a safe and excellent fishing season!!!!!
Sincerely
Ed Beese
P.S.
Sorry to keep rambling on, but I am new to the site and new to computers how do I join, or log on? Everyone seems very Knowledgable and nice.
Shane Mason
Posted 4/15/2007 6:42 AM (#250818 - in reply to #250283)

Sure you could, but is it a good idea? IMO no, and here are a few of my reasons why.

I grew up on a river, fished it pretty much everyday of my youth, and I am also a graduate of UWSP, so I have fished the areas you may be thinking of guiding as well.

So having spent a fair amount of time fishing from shore I will tell you a good shore spot is worth its weight in gold. On a river a good spot is almost always a good spot.

What are you going to do after a few weeks of taking people to your good shore spots and every time you go down there there are all your clients from the previous weeks? Getting a little crowded. But wait, all your previous clients brought a buddy with this time. And it will snowball from there. Just like on a lake. But on a lake there are more options to deal with this scenario.

Now you have a bunch of community shore spots. But you probably aren't the first guy to fish these spots. I am sure there are a handful of locals who know each and every spot you do, and I am sure they are going to be thrilled they have to fish elbow to elbow with all these people.

Plan on being in town long? Because your going to be really popular. But if none of that bothers you then go for it. There a guides I know who dont care about anything except making a name for themselves at the expense of others.

I dont know you or what your intentions are, this is only my opinion, buts is something you need to consider.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/15/2007 10:28 AM (#250835 - in reply to #250283)

Shane,

Thanks for the comments. I talked with Jason Schillenger about some of these same things you adressed. I definately know exactly what you mean and have thought about that side of the deal. The thing that I would like to throw out there is if I did become truly serious about trying to make a go at the strange idea I would probably try to open that up to more than just fishing river spots in Stevens Point. I know several spots in Tomahawk and in talking Nightmare he said he has shore spots he would be willing to show me as well. This way I could open up to more of the entire Wisconsin area and not just target the few spots that are gold around here.

Edited by Pointerpride102 4/15/2007 10:36 AM
esox50
Posted 4/15/2007 12:19 PM (#250844 - in reply to #250283)

No, for the exact reasons Shane mentioned. Rivers are the last frontier, IMO and true gems if you can find the good ones. Also, ditto on DougJ's comments re: experience.

You won't find too many bodies of water that receive as little fishing pressure as most rivers do, especially for muskies. However, you may cater to the less mobile fishermen or your average Joe (non die-hard muskie, more bass/walleye/catfish fishermen types), but sorry to say those folks tend to create a snowball effect like the one Shane mentioned above.

Edited by esox50 4/15/2007 12:21 PM