Update on the 54" Proposal
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/11/2007 4:47 PM (#250229)
Subject: Update on the 54" Proposal

Hey Everyone!

Here's the current update on where things are at for the upcoming Spring Hearings and the 54" proposal for Green Bay.

We have had an excellent response and it looks like we are sure to get the point out there that this is what the musky community is in support of for the Green Bay fishery.

We have drafted a resolution for Green Bay and it's tirbutaries in response to the alarming number of 50" muskies that we're harvested from the waters of Green Bay in 2006. Not only were the harvest numbers alarming, these were very young fish in the 10 to 12 year old range with at least 5 years of steady growth, perhaps more.

Passing this would also put Wisconsin in conjunction with the current Great Lakes size limits enforced by Canada, which is 54".

We have also received a wide range of suggestions on other ways to address this system and at this time the overall opinion is that this 54" proposal is an achievable goal for this system. We have writen the proposal with guidance and help from the WDNR and believe this is the right course of action.

I have e-mailed the final copy of the proposal to the authors for each county. Here's another point of concern. There has been discussion about proposing this only in the counties adjacent to the Green Bay system to avoid introducing it in counties where folks may not care and vote it down. On the other hand, introducing this around the state and getting it passed around the state would make A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT IN SUCCEEDING with this proposal.

While we have a great number of authors (which is half the battle) the other HUGE factor is getting as many people to each county hearing to vote in support of the proposal. It will not matter if we get an author to submit this if there isn't anyone there to vote insupport of it.....so the "other half" of the battle is in YOUR hands, YOU who are reading this....PLEASE attend and vote.

Here are the counties, authors, and locations this is getting proposed at for those of you who want to attend and vote.

Baron County - Bob Bebson
Old Courthouse Building Lower Level - Auditorium
330 E.La Salle Ave - Barron

Brown County - Jay Zahn
Green Bay Southwest High School - Auditorium
1331 Packerland Dr. - Green Bay

Dane County - Gerard Hellenbrand
Dane County Alliant Energy Center
1919 Alliant Energy Way - Madison

Door County - Mike Healy
Sturgeon Bay High School - Auditorium
1230 Michigan - Sturgeon Bay

Douglas County - Roger Olsen
Superior Senior High School
2600 Catlin Ave. - Superior

Forest County - Dan Lazzeroni
Crandon High School - Auditorium
9750 USH 8 W - Crandon

Iowa County - Rolly Squire
Dodgeville High School - Gymnasium
912 W. Chapel St. - Dodgeville

Jefferson County - Jim Furley
Jefferson County Fairgrounds - Activity Center
503 N. Jackson Ave. - Jefferson

Kenosha County - Terry Bitz
Bristol Grade School - Auditorium
20121 83rd St. - Bristol

Kewaunee County - VACANT - SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE THIS COUNTY
Kewaunee High School - Auditorium
911 2nd St. - Kewaunee

Manitowoc County - Rob Howe
UW Manitowoc - Theater
705 Viebahn St. - Manitowoc

Marathon County - Mike Seager
D.C. Everst Middle School - Auditorium
9302 Schofield Ave. - Schofield

Marinette County - Dave Wineburner
Crivitz High School - Auditorium
400 South Ave. - Crivitz

Milwaukee County - R.J. Sokolosky
Greenfield High School - Auditorium
4800 S. 60th St. - Greenfield

Oconto County - Dale Vercauteren
Suring High School - Cafeteria
411 E. Algoma St. - Suring

Oneida County - Jim Stewart
James Williams Jr. High - Auditorium
915 Arcadia - Rhinelander

Outagamie County - Tim Sheppard
Riverview Middle School - Auditorium
101 Oak St. - Kaukauna

Portage County - Mike Bolinski
Ben Franklin Middle School - Auditorium
2000 Polk St. - Stevens Point

Racine County - Charlie Buhler
Union Grove High School - Auditorium
3433 S. Colony Ave. - Union Grove

Shawno County - Curt Fleener
Shawno Middle School - LG Rm
1050 A. Union St. - Shawno

Sheboygan County - Greg Wells
Sheboygan Falls High School - Auditorium
220 Amherst Ave. - Sheboygan Falls

Vilas County - Steve Heiting
Sayner Community Center
Golf Course Road - Sayner

Washburn County - Jim Strode
WI AG Research Station - Conference Rm
W6646 HWY 70 - Spooner

Waukesha County - Dennis Radloff
Waukesha County Tech. College - C052
800 Main St. - Pewaukee

Waupaca County - Don Ladubel
Waupaca High School - Auditorium
E2325 King Rd. - Waupaca

Winnebago County - Joe Junion
Webster Stanly Auditorium - Auditorium
915 Hazel St. - Oshkosh

All locations will be meeting on Monday - April 16th, 2007 @ 7:00 PM.

I know there may be a few counties listed that show different authors than that of the initial list. I appologize if you are not listed here as the author of a county you volunteered for...with all the help and shuffling of papers I finished this with the majority of folks I had on my e-mail lisiting. If you volunteered to author and are not listed here...please still attend and vote, and know that your were not "omitted" on purpose. It has been a challenge to contact everyone and maintain contact info.

Thanks again to everyone for all your support and feedback along the way. This is a great move for Wisconsin which can give Green Bay something more than the Packers to be proud off...a future world record!!!

Feel free to contact me direct if you have any questions or if you want to author for Kewaunee County.

Dennis
[email protected]
262-443-9993
muskynightmare
Posted 4/11/2007 4:51 PM (#250230 - in reply to #250229)
Subject: Re: Update on the 54" Proposal

Get out there and vote, folks! Also to vote on the swallow rig issue. Every musky should die of old age!
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2007 4:59 PM (#250232 - in reply to #250229)

Hey Dennis I sent you an email.....I thought someone else was authoring in Portage Co, but I would be more than willing if need be. Let me know.....
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/11/2007 5:08 PM (#250235 - in reply to #250229)
Subject: RE: Update on the 54" Proposal

Hey Pointerpride,

I have a list with Gary Zaug on it....I don't have the master list with the contact info...if you know him and can reach him, have him contact me asap.

Thanks.

Dennis
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/11/2007 5:09 PM (#250237 - in reply to #250229)

Dennis,

I was the one that emailed you regarding the separate counties and the possibility that voting just in affected counties being potentially better.  That said, I'll be sure to have someone(I cannot make the hearings this year) author this in Wood county.  I am not sure when the late resolutions(proposals that did not make the agenda booklet) are heard(sometimes at the beginning sometimes at the end) but if it is at the end of the hearings, I'd suggest the author to use judgement in relation to how other Musky proposals went that evening.  Again, other counties' YES vote will do nothing but boost this action, but a no vote will hurt more than the county not voting at all in this stage of the game. 

Thanks again for your hard work on this.  I am sure you'll be rewarded for your efforts.  I've heard more positive coffee shop response to this proposal than many recent Muskellunge rule change proposals in recent past.

Jason Schillinger

Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2007 5:43 PM (#250245 - in reply to #250229)

Dennis,

I do not know a Gary Zaug. If you dont get ahold of him let me know as I will be going and could author it.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/12/2007 6:29 AM (#250309 - in reply to #250229)

I'll get in touch with Gary today.
hotlanta
Posted 4/12/2007 6:41 AM (#250310 - in reply to #250309)

Good Luck gentlemen we will be watching from around the country hopeing for your success. Chris
Johnnie
Posted 4/12/2007 9:27 AM (#250324 - in reply to #250310)

First of all I am in full support of the 54" proposal. But those presenting the question at various county meetings should be prepared to answer some questions from the audience. Some could be, (1) "With the new disease in the Great Lakes, will this new reg just stock pile fish in Green Bay which may eventually die to the disease?" (2) "If many anglers start keeping 54-55 inch muskies are you going to come back with another proposal to raise the size limit again?" And the classic,(3)"If little Johnny catches his first muskie and it is 52", will he have to throw back the biggest fish he may catch in his life?" These are a few of the possible questions which may come from the audience. Be prepared with answers. And Good luck!!!!

John Aschenbrenner
nwild
Posted 4/12/2007 9:31 AM (#250327 - in reply to #250324)

Dennis,
I would offer to help out in Langlade County, but my gut instinct says we are better off flying under the radar here. If you want to discuss it give me a shout, but I think we will do more harm than good here.

715-216-1297
Shep
Posted 4/12/2007 10:02 AM (#250335 - in reply to #250327)

Johnnie,

Good questions.

1. There is not enough known about VHS and how it is going to affect the muskie population in Green Bay.

2. I said from the first post on this that I don't feel 54" is enough. But I guess my answer would be that if in the future, lot's of 54"+ fish are being kept, that yes, I would support a move toward an even higher limit.

3. Most 32" muskies that kids catch are the biggest fish they have caught, and yes, in most places they would have to put that fish back. My answer will be that yes, they have to put it back, but if they handle it properly, and get a couple good pictures, they can release the fish to catch again, and have a replica made.

These are my opinions, so I don't know what the party line actually is on these.

As with any conversation I have about keeping a fish to mount, or even eat, for that matter, is that while I encourage CPR, I do recognize, and respect, an individual's right to keep a legally caught fish. However, I also think that replica's make much better mounts, and probably taste better, too.

Edited by Shep 4/12/2007 10:03 AM
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/12/2007 11:06 AM (#250346 - in reply to #250229)

Alright...I got ahold of Gary Zaug and he will be authoring / presenting for Portage County...and thanks Pointerpride for your help.

We still need an author for Kewaunee County. This is a critical county as it boarder the Green Bay system.

If nobody can do this, then is there someone who will take Waukesah County and I will drive up to Kewaunee and author it.

Dennis
lakesuperiorkid
Posted 4/12/2007 11:17 AM (#250347 - in reply to #250335)

There is plenty known about VHS since it's been in Europe for long time and they are currently working on a treatment for it. It's been in the US for sometime since the West Coast had a outbreak of it.

No doubt it is already in Lake Superior due to the travel of shipping.

lakesuperiorkid
Posted 4/12/2007 11:19 AM (#250348 - in reply to #250229)

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:AfS6jp5xPoIJ:www.greatlakesfish...
2520Septicemia%2520Fact%2520Sheet%2520-%25202-26-2007.pdf+VHS+virus+West+Coast&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=opera
&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=opera
Shep
Posted 4/12/2007 11:45 AM (#250355 - in reply to #250348)

From that briefing.

"What are the likely risks to Great Lakes fish populations?

Little is known about this particularisolate of the VHSv virus. The VHSv-European Types 1-3 isolates have caused large-scalemortalities in salmonid and turbot aquaculture facilities in Europe and mortalities have beendocumented in the Pacific Coast for herring species. Large mortalities from VHSv Type IVahave been documented in marine herring populations in and around Puget Sound, WA. Until therecent mortalities in the Great Lakes, the Type IVb isolate was not known to cause large diseasescale outbreaks on the East Coast of North America except for one potential and unconfirmedinstance in mummichogs from New Brunswick. It is very unclear what the risk is to our fish stocks from this pathogen as susceptibility andvirulence studies have not been done on this isolate. It does clearly cause large scale mortalitiesin susceptible fish populations. The potential outcomes range from being a short term 1-timemortality factor to a pathogen that causes annual mortalities that will need to be factored intofisheries management plans. It also appears that there are a wide range of potential carriers forthe pathogen which will need to be factored into fisheries management options."

As I said. My answer would be that there simply is not enough known at this time about the affects on Green Bay's Muskie population from VHS. I can tell you that a kept fish has zero chance of survivng to become larger than 54".
JKH431
Posted 4/12/2007 11:46 AM (#250357 - in reply to #250348)

Dennis

Through e-mail with some people, I will be introducing this into the Far north of Bayfield County...

Edited by JKH431 4/12/2007 11:47 AM
lakesuperiorkid
Posted 4/12/2007 12:45 PM (#250371 - in reply to #250229)

I'd rather see some efffort on Lake Superior pike myself. I'm not for this size limit myself and will vote against it if I can get in the door.
Shep
Posted 4/12/2007 1:36 PM (#250380 - in reply to #250371)

Lakesuperiorkid. Why would you vote against this size regulation for Green Bay? Do you fish muskies on Green Bay? Have you ever fished for muskies there? I suspect not, so why would you oppose something that has no affect on you? Not voting because it doesn't affect you is different than a vote opposing it. I suggest you rethink your position, and consider what's best for the resource.

You want to see some effort on Lake Superior for Pike? Why don't you start something? Take some initiative, get some facts together, get some local support, and get it going up there like Dennis Radloff and others did here?

One more thing? Are you going to want us to support any of your efforts up there? Why should we? I don't fish Superior for Pike, so why should I vote for anything to help it? I'll tell you why. Because it would be the right thing to do. That's why.

Edited by Shep 4/12/2007 1:38 PM
lakesuperiorkid
Posted 4/12/2007 2:54 PM (#250401 - in reply to #250229)

Covered it in another forum without anyone responding so I'm not up to the task again. Far as Lake Superior pike, with the ruins still left in the Lake maybe it's better that they are left alone. I can't see where another proposal and years of getting it through is going to help anything. Yes, I musky fish. Why would I vote either way then. Your deal.....your deal if that's the way it is. No doubt I'll probably not drive down to the meeting anyway. All it ends up to be is groups flooding the place and making a people jam all over the place.

Bayfield area is not in my county. Rather not bother with another discussion about fish populations at the moment.

Thanks......
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/12/2007 3:13 PM (#250406 - in reply to #250229)

JKH431,

If you are willing to author for Bayfield County shoot me an e-mail so I can get you a copy of the proposal and we can maintain consistency.

ALSO....

Thank You to Mike Kagel...he is going to author in Kewaunee County.

Thanks to all and especially M1st for letting us use the threads for help and support.

Dennis
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/12/2007 3:39 PM (#250412 - in reply to #250229)

I forgot to mention also that all the authors should have received their copy of the resolution for Monday....if you diddn't get it please let me know ASAP.

Dennis
Pathfinder44
Posted 4/16/2007 2:43 PM (#251025 - in reply to #250229)

Just in case somebody does NOT know where to vote!!!I will pull this thread.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/16/2007 3:11 PM (#251031 - in reply to #250229)

There are a few more counties that this resolution will be submitted in tonight for those interested in attending and voting YES!!! Thanks for all your help and support.

Bayfield County / Jim Hudson
Drummond High School
40 Eastman Ave. - Drummond

Burnett County / Ken Jones
Siren Government Center - Room 165
7410 County Rd. K - Siren

Sawyer County / Pete Maina
Hayward High School - Auditorium
10320 Greenwood Lane - Hayward

Washington County / Dan Jahncke
Washington County Fair Grounds - Exhibit Hall
3000 HWY PV - West Bend
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/16/2007 3:18 PM (#251032 - in reply to #250229)

We need help,

We have lost communtications with our Kewaunee Author. This is a critical county as it boarder the waters of Green Bay.

Anyone interested in authoring please contact me ASAP.

Thanks,

Dennis
Shep
Posted 4/16/2007 3:55 PM (#251038 - in reply to #251032)

Dennis,

Maybe put up a post on WalleyeForst for Jerry Ruffolo. He works over there. Perhaps he could take off for a bit.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/16/2007 5:18 PM (#251047 - in reply to #250229)

Dennis,

Did you find someone for Kewaunee?
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/16/2007 5:25 PM (#251049 - in reply to #250229)

No.

Mike....the guys who was going to do it has to work tonight...last minute deal.

Any ideas????
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/16/2007 5:26 PM (#251051 - in reply to #250229)

I just looked up how far from Point it was and I couldnt make it there in time anymore.....I would have volunteered to head over there but I wouldnt make it in time.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/16/2007 5:29 PM (#251052 - in reply to #250229)

Bumber......oh well....

I think we have our bases covered pretty good otherwise. As long as we can get a good show of support tonight we should have a winner and get this on the ballot for next year!

On my way out to head to our meeting right now.

Good luck everyone and thanks for all the help and support.

Dennis
muskie! nut
Posted 4/16/2007 9:59 PM (#251097 - in reply to #250229)

I was hoping to get a count of votes tonight, but they did not have the ORC machines here in Dane County. I thought the reason that they moved it back a week was so that they could. Go figure? I shot an email to Kurt to let me know of the vote when he gets it.
Ty Sennett
Posted 4/17/2007 8:52 AM (#251149 - in reply to #250229)

Pete Maina introduced the 54" Green Bay proposal in Hayward/Sawyer County and it passed with 100% margin. I also introduced a Chippewa Flowage 50 inch limit and it passed with 100% margin. We walked out of there saying "wow, that was a little too easy".

Ty
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/17/2007 9:00 AM (#251152 - in reply to #250229)

Awesome news Ty!!!

We had an excellent trunout at the Waukesha County meeting last night form the local musky crew including a good number of familiar M1st folks....thanks everyone. They used a ballot sytem for the resolutions so I don't know how our vote turned out. We didn't get any opposition....I have a feeling it went good.

I spoke with several authors from other counties and they all had a good repsonse too. Hopefully we'll be seeing this on the ballot next year!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS DEDICATED THEIR TIME, ENERGY, AND EFFORT INTO SUPPORTING THIS AND OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES!!!!!

Dennis
bn
Posted 4/17/2007 9:02 AM (#251153 - in reply to #250229)

I voted in Dane Co. and from what I saw there were a lot of musky folks on hand to vote for the 54" question...
Doug Kloet
Posted 4/17/2007 2:25 PM (#251213 - in reply to #250229)

I authored it here in Kenosha county. There was no comments made so hopefully that is a good thing. Attendances was about the same as it always is. There was a couple of guys from ILL. that came up to vote, I thank them for there support.

Doug Kloet
http://www.muskymagictackle.com
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/17/2007 2:42 PM (#251219 - in reply to #250229)

Did any of the meetings have any good heated debates? The Portage Co. one was rather dull/boring and I also felt it was relatively poorly run compared to how it was run up in Onieda Co. when I attended last year for the Pelican Lake 50".

I missed the beginning of the meeting whent hey described what goes into being a CC member....anyone know what it all entails? ie: what I would have to do if I ran and won a position? I was strongly considering running last night.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/17/2007 6:13 PM (#251248 - in reply to #250229)

Yeah, Mike, here in Dane County it was just the reading of the questions and I told my buddy, we will be outta here early, then the CWD/Sharpshooter questions hits. I bet we spent 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour on that. Some folks brining up issues that had nothing to with the topic. I spoke too soon. But the with the exception of who has jurisdictions of making the refuge on the Mississippi near Grant Co. it was smooth.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/17/2007 7:10 PM (#251261 - in reply to #250229)

That sharpshooter one struck me funny. Isn't this state full of sharpshooters??????????? The Warden at ours said that some folks do not consider what is behind the target, and sharpshooters pick out safe lanes of fire. 2nd rule of gun safety taught in hunter's safety: know your target and what is beyond. Heck, give us vets more tags, and we will go down and thin that herd!

Also, The fisheries rep in our county, after our Author read it, said "because that in theory, they grow so fast, they probably don't get much bigger than that". Thankfully, Shep is AWESOME at thinking on his feet, and cited several catches that were WAY beyond 54".

Good job to Dennis, Shep, and everone else around the state. When we speak, the DNR (eventually) has to listen!
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/17/2007 9:34 PM (#251303 - in reply to #250229)

I got a message from Greg Wells who authored in Sheboygan County and somehow he found out the final vote on the 54" resolution there was 57 - YES & 4 NO.....very impressive!!!! Hopefully this is the trend for the other counties.

As far as debates.......Waukesha went smooth.....Door County had one guy worried about his grandson not being able to keep a fish if he gets one while perch fishing. Douglas County had a guy flat out stating that muskies attack children and they (the muskies) should all be killed.

For the most part all the feedback and response I have heard has been consistently positive and I think we will be seeing this one on the ballot for next year. It looks like our work has just begun!!!!

The real accomplishment & credit today needs to go to every individual who attended and voted YES last night....those were the one who are making the biggest differnece in giving this resolution a shot at passing!!! Thanks to each and every one of you....YOU ROCK!!!!!

I have a call into Greg Wells.....I want to know how he got his counties results already.
ESfishOX
Posted 4/17/2007 10:51 PM (#251326 - in reply to #250229)

Dennis, did the others have to field questions like you did: average time to get from 50" to 54" and facts about those harvested on GB in '06?
dannyboy
Posted 4/18/2007 8:02 AM (#251358 - in reply to #250229)

in forest county. i made some comments and asked for questions. there were none.
we only had 28 people there including the panel.
hopefully we got some yes votes.

dannyboy
[email protected]
www.dannyboysguideservice.com
Shep
Posted 4/18/2007 8:37 AM (#251362 - in reply to #251358)

I counted 56 people in the Outagamie County hearing. There were a couple questions. To be fair, Kendall was cited what he had been told by the previous biologist, Kevin. He did state that this fast growth, burnout, and early death was just a theory. No known data on this. I did counter with the 3 very large fish caught the past two years, 2 of which were released.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 9:48 AM (#251385 - in reply to #250229)

Our proposal to get a 54" size limit is not about removing the rights of licensed anglers to harvest fish, it's about preserving a young fishery and giving the 50"ers a better chance of reaching a greater potential.

We have a great deal of momentum and support generated so far on making successful strides and we need to keep our energy focused on the goal...I think we will have alot of work ahead of us on this one.

Just a few thoughts in response to a few e-mails I got this morning.

Dennis
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 10:31 AM (#251391 - in reply to #250229)

I just spoke with Greg Wells and got a few more early results on some of the other counties. Sawyer County passed 100% and Brown County had no opposition.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 12:47 PM (#251404 - in reply to #250229)

Here's the final results on all the ballot items from Monday night, but not the 54" resolution...still looking for those.

The good news is you will see an incredible level of support on all the ballot issues for musky related items. This indicates good news for all of us!

Not for the GB 54, but for questions which were in the booklet.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/springhearings/2007/results/
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/19/2007 9:12 AM (#251579 - in reply to #250229)

I heard from the Door County author last night who said it passed there.... a little closer margin 25 - YES and 19 - NO.