April Snow %^&*#
ghitierman
Posted 4/11/2007 2:18 PM (#250184)
Subject: April Snow %^&*#

How does this weather effect the up coming season? Does this cold spell throw things off for the opener? Dampen spawning schedules? Or otherwise effect the upcoming season?
nwild
Posted 4/11/2007 2:26 PM (#250185 - in reply to #250184)
Subject: RE: April Snow %^&*#

Ice out in my area is far ahead of normal. Warmer weather is right around the corner according to Mr. Meteorologist. My thinking as of right now is the fish will be ahead of schedule when the Memorial day opener comes to Northern WI...but who knows what will happen next with the weather.
J_WEEKS
Posted 4/11/2007 2:31 PM (#250186 - in reply to #250184)

ghitierman,

I wouldn't worry about this weather screwing the fish up...a couple warm days can and will speed things right up. One thing to remember is that muskie spawning is triggered by more than one thing, variables like moon phase and day length also come into play. So, more than likely the fish will be right where they were last year.

This years opener should be as good as any...

Jordan
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2007 2:32 PM (#250187 - in reply to #250184)
Subject: Re: April Snow %^&*#

As my good friend Monty Python says......Winter came and left, then bypassed spring and summer and went straight back to winter.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/11/2007 2:40 PM (#250190 - in reply to #250184)

It could, but we're more than three weeks from the S WI opener, lots can happen between now and then. I figure I'm going to fish no matter what, so why worry about it?

Edited by esoxaddict 4/11/2007 3:06 PM
ghitierman
Posted 4/11/2007 4:15 PM (#250216 - in reply to #250184)

Well I heard that Northen Pike spawn right after ice out so that there fry can grow quickly as waters warm and planton levels increase. Actually the whole purpose of this post was not nessessarily related to opening day but rather future musky developement. I actually wonder if water temps significatnly decreasing after a Northen pike spawn could increase the mortality rate of northerns thus decrease the mortality rate of Musky's this spring (northern fry feed on musky fry). Or if this recent change of temperature will have no impact on northern pike developement.
J_WEEKS
Posted 4/11/2007 4:42 PM (#250228 - in reply to #250184)

ghitierman,

The short answer to your water temp question is yes-it can have an influence on NP egg survival. NP eggs hatch in 11-15 days at water temps of 46-48 degrees and can simply take longer under cooler conditions (to a point-eventually they use their egg sac and die or hatch and live).

The thought that NP fry eat MU fry is one of contention. Traditional thought says that is the case, and in some instances it is very possible. However, there is little documented research to either refute or confirm that thought. Personally, I'm not sold on the whole NP eating all the MU fry idea. Right or not that's my view.

In saying that, I think the current weather will have little impact on this years MU fry/production.

Jordan
Musky Dawg
Posted 4/11/2007 10:14 PM (#250286 - in reply to #250184)

I'm just starting out on breeding fish for a hobby (not muskies, sorry), but you would be amazed at how fast fish grow in the first month. We just had our second batch, and I was inquiring about them sharing a tank since they were both little. These fish are aggressive, and everyone I have talked to said that 1 month old fry will eat newborn fry. This is a 1 in. fish eating a 1/4 in. fish.
Well, long story short I put them in the same tank, with the new ones in a breeders net. The larger fry spend most of their time now trying to get through the netting to eat the smaller ones.
Morale: aggressive, predatory fish, no matter what size, can and will eat other fish no matter what size they are if given the opportunity. With pike being larger, and musky fry were abundant, they would most certianly be a filling meal.
~Dawg
J_WEEKS
Posted 4/12/2007 2:32 PM (#250398 - in reply to #250184)

M Dawg,

You are correct, fish kept in close proximity to one another without mode for escape will cannabalize each other. However, lakes are quite different than tanks and different rules apply.

Your example is exactly why fish hatcheries sort fish regularily.

Jordan
Murph!
Posted 4/13/2007 7:38 PM (#250677 - in reply to #250184)

I welcome the snow, we need all the moisture we can get, and big deal, it's gone in a few days. We still have plenty of ice in northern Minneosta, a week of warm weather will put things back on track.

Good luck, Murph