SE WI pre-opener BBQ! Everyone welcome!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/7/2007 11:40 PM (#249593)
Subject: SE WI pre-opener BBQ! Everyone welcome!

I have now transitioned completely out of pizza season and my mind has turned to fishing. The second year of my quest for the mighty musky draws closer. Numerous threads concerning how opening day waters should be approached have recently graced this forum. They have been quite informative. Bait choices, bait presentation, types of structure, and many different strategies have been well covered.

My business has surged with the onset of Spring. My brain has shifted into overdrive and my thought processes have sharpened like the hooks of a well maintained favorite bait. I began to think outside the tackle box on how I could approach the opener.

Knowing that a small gathering of muskie fanatics typically takes place at Smokey's on Pewaukee Lake the night before the opener, a plan/theory began to slowly smolder within my brain. Talk and beer were plentiful last year, but more solid and filling consumables were conspicuously absent.

If a greater number of friends/fisherpersons could be brought together, and quality foods added to last year's formula, could that possibly lead to a more productive opening day? My food obsessed brain answered with a resounding yes.

My theory is that a musky angler, satiated the night before the fishing opener by well prepared food and the warmth of copious camaraderie, will be happier, less hungover, and possessed by a can do attitude that can only lead to positive results.

Fortunately for me, and any volunteers I can muster, I have a close friend who is a BBQ master and part owner of a traveling BBQ rig. I approached him with the idea of feeding my musky brethren and sisteren a plethora of slow smoked lip smacking chunks of pork and poultry. Eager to showcase his skills and 7,000 lb., 20 foot BBQ rig, he readily agreed that this was indeed a good idea.

I approached Professor Mike Koepp of the Water Front Musky College, who in turn approached John Laimon, owner of Smokey's. As the plan has very few weaknesses, it was quickly approved. Shawn and I will be taking Friday off, and setting up the rig at the crack of dawn on Friday, May 4th at Smokey's. This has to be done as we will be serving real dry rubbed slow smoked BBQ. The pork shoulders take 10-14 hours to be properly prepared.

This is the real thing. Shawn is providing the rig and expertise, I'm providing the food, and Koepp is handling some of the logistics and is our Ambassador of Waukesha County Musky Goodwill. You'll have to bring your own beverages.

All we need now are volunteers to eat the food and test my theory. There is no limit to the number of volunteers we need. The smoker can handle up to 500 lbs. of meat at one time. Literally anyone that reads this is welcome to volunteer. If you want to drive from MN or Ontario, feel free. I've heard rumors that Mr. Worrall and his gracious wife Sue are going to be in the area, and I hope that's true. Anyone from northern WI, IL, or MI who feels the need to wet a line in our area, should definitely consider getting here Friday. Anybody that wants to bring their families should bring them. Yahara Chain musky experts should also consider a quick jaunt down to Smokey's on Friday for the feast. I would really like A LOT of people to attend. It's not really worth it for ten or twelve guys.

I will need to have a general idea how many anglers are planning to attend this first ever SE WI Pre-Opener Smokey's BBQ Spectacular. After all, we need to know how many pigs and chickens will have to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to test my theory. Please post here or PM me if you think you can attend. If you answer in the affirmative, please try to make it as I don't want to have a ton of left over food.

This is not an official M1st outing. If you need lodging, maps for lakes, etc., you're on your own. This is just a party, me, Shawn Reilly, and Mike Koepp are throwing to test my theory. No one is looking to make any money or promote anything, though I do hope that if you need to make any last minute fishing purchases, you make them at Smokey's as John is being very gracious in letting us set this up at the shop. He hasn't been feeling well and I wish him the best.

I do have one request. My buddy Shawn needs a seat for Saturday. He's kind of an inexperienced musky guy, but has gear and is pretty handy in a boat. He's a good fisherman overall. He kept us from being skunked last year at Eagle. I'd like a couple of volunteers to take the BBQ expert if I could get them. If he's going to cook, he needs to fish.

So there you have it. My pre-opener plan. Anybody that wants to come is welcome, just let me know. If you're a lurker and want to get to know some people from the board, this is your chance. Food will probably be ready to eat between 6:00 and 7:00, though it will last beyond that. We'll need to shut it down by 10:00.

Kevin

Dry rubbed and slow smoked.

Edited by MuskyHopeful 4/8/2007 12:31 AM
Jomusky
Posted 4/8/2007 12:10 AM (#249595 - in reply to #249593)
Subject: Re: Volunteers Needed to Test New Theory for Opener-Please Read

I'll be there.

That is amazing that you guys are doing this. I can't wait.

What a way to kick the season off!!!

I don't have my plans for a partner and boat finalized yet but might have a spot for a third in the boat. I will post if I have a spot open.

Edited by Jomusky 4/8/2007 12:12 AM
mikie
Posted 4/8/2007 8:05 AM (#249608 - in reply to #249593)
Subject: Re: SE WI pre-opener BBQ! Everyone welcome!

I'll bring the cornbread. I think Mauser has some cooking oil, too. Awesome offer, gonna make every effort to be there. m
Netman
Posted 4/8/2007 9:01 AM (#249614 - in reply to #249593)
Subject: RE: SE WI pre-opener BBQ! Everyone welcome!

I'm there with some smoked salmon.....I can't wait we need to get rid of this 30 deg temps.

Bring on those Old Crochey Dudes.....

Netmen
buckster58
Posted 4/8/2007 9:53 AM (#249622 - in reply to #249593)

Kevin, Sounds like a great idea , I'll take this info to our M.I. [QCHH chapter 17] meeting thursday 4-12. Maybe I can get some guys to come up with me. I'll let you know if I get any commitments. Thanks , Don Frisch
kap n jim
Posted 4/8/2007 4:33 PM (#249683 - in reply to #249622)

Sounds like fun........Raider 150, roadtrip??
ESfishOX
Posted 4/8/2007 10:19 PM (#249739 - in reply to #249593)

I'll be there!
mikie
Posted 4/9/2007 6:41 AM (#249758 - in reply to #249593)

Hate to be a wet blanket, are there plans for a rain out location? m
tuffy1
Posted 4/9/2007 7:15 AM (#249763 - in reply to #249758)

Mikie, Mikie, Mikie, there are no rain outs. That my friend is what rain gear is for.

I'm not sure if I can make it or not, so put me down for a definite maybe. It may be me and the young fisherchick, or just me, or I'll send a clone. Sounds like a great time.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/9/2007 7:22 AM (#249764 - in reply to #249593)

Mikie- Surely you jest! Just bring your rain gear. After all these are muskie fisherman. Well maybe a walleye, bass, perch, salmon, bluegill, crappie, sturgeon, catfish, bullhead, burbot, carp, northen pike or even saltwater species fisherman or two thrown in for good measure. But rumor has it those guys even own rain gear.

Have fun!

Al
mikie
Posted 4/9/2007 7:43 AM (#249770 - in reply to #249593)

OK, OK, just a thought. Soggy BBQ with a bunch of muskie nuts is better than dry pork, alone. Besides, the sun always shines on Pewaukee! m
"Keep yer cornbread dry!"
Ben Kueng
Posted 4/9/2007 8:25 AM (#249780 - in reply to #249770)

I'll take a soggy sandwich in the rain anyday over this crap fest of weather we've been having lately..

Anyways, Ill be there friday night...Mainly just to check out the so called competition though...lol
Magruter
Posted 4/9/2007 8:39 AM (#249781 - in reply to #249780)

PORK! I'll be there. Great idea Kev.
Can i bring the wife? She's not much of a muskie nut, but she loves good BBQ.

Edited by Magruter 4/9/2007 8:41 AM
Shep
Posted 4/9/2007 1:13 PM (#249820 - in reply to #249781)

Hopeful,

I got Laser in with me, but there is plenty of room in the new 1890 for another. Shawn can fish with us til he wants to jump in with somebody else.

Edited by Shep 4/9/2007 1:15 PM
musky54
Posted 4/9/2007 5:01 PM (#249849 - in reply to #249593)

Will definitely be there! Always wanted to fish Pewaukee for the opener. This really sounds like a great time and those that are setting this up should be commended. Now, if "Mother Nature" would just throw us a bone on this weather, that would really be nice!

Edited by musky54 4/9/2007 5:08 PM
rldourlain
Posted 4/9/2007 5:17 PM (#249851 - in reply to #249593)

so what date is this and is there room for us boat sluts?
ESfishOX
Posted 4/9/2007 7:47 PM (#249874 - in reply to #249593)

Southern opener is May 5th, and the BBQ is the 4th. I won't know if I have room for about another week when the other half of Team Draggin' Anchor chimes in.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/9/2007 8:30 PM (#249880 - in reply to #249874)

Scott, wives sure are welcome. I love the ladies.

Mikie, I think your question was answered. The smoker trailer has a roof so cooking will not be affected by precipitation.

We will offer a Gortex bun option for the pulled pork if the weather gets overly moist.

Kevin

MuskieMike
Posted 4/9/2007 8:53 PM (#249886 - in reply to #249593)

Looks like Team RumbleKnott (MuskieMike, RUMBLEFISH, & MRS. RUMBLEFISH) is in for the feast. Where is the closest, best ho/motel around Pewaukee?

Edited by MuskieMike 4/9/2007 8:58 PM
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/9/2007 9:20 PM (#249892 - in reply to #249886)

Mike, do a little googling. Not sure what you want to spend. In Brookfield, on Barker Rd., there is a Hampton Inn and a La Quinta that are a short hop down I-94 to Lake country. Do not stay at the Motel 6. Also check Waukesha for anything on Grandview Blvd. or Silvernail Rd. Also Google Pewaukee Hotels. Ask me when you find a couple that you think fit your price range, and I'll tell you how close they are.

The thing about Pewaukee is it's basically right off the freeway, so anything in eastern Brookfield, northern Waukesha, or Pewaukee is literally minutes away from Smokey's.

Kevin

Tantalizing the muskies with the smell of smoked meats.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/9/2007 10:05 PM (#249897 - in reply to #249892)

Rain or shine baby. This is going to take some control to keep this Friday afternoon/night festivities down to a reasonablely early night.

Smokey's will be locking the doors by 10pm. Beer will be sold in the Muskie Shop until we drink the whole stand up cooler. After 10pm we can spill over to the Waterfront Sports Bar or head home for some sleep and be ready to kick some musky a$$ early Saturday morning.

We will have the rig pulled up next to the muskie shop where tables and chairs will be set up. The Muskie Shop will be open and stocked up for people who need a hot bait or two. Hopefully John will be strong enough to enjoy the BBQ. He is still very weak and it's day to day. A bad infection by his heart has him in the hospital for almost two weeks now. A few prayers would help our friend so keep him in mind.

esoxlazer
Posted 4/9/2007 11:51 PM (#249905 - in reply to #249593)

I'm in along with my brother. This should be an absolute blast. Unlike last year, I will be home and sleeping at a reasonable hour...those chicks from The Waterfront were the death of us last year. Kevin, I have no classes on Friday's so just let me know what time you want people to show up and help. Mike, I just heard about John's health and hope like hell that he gets better soon. Any idea if he can have visitors? If you have any other info, please send me a PM. Joel, if you guys want to crash at my place the night before so that you don't have such a long ride in the morning, let me know and Ill have everything set up.
Esox2hart
Posted 4/9/2007 11:56 PM (#249906 - in reply to #249593)

Kevin
I hopefully can be there depense on the work and if i have off
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/11/2007 7:49 AM (#250096 - in reply to #249906)

I need more volunteers to test my theory. Looking for more responses.

Kevin

The big girls like pork.
sorenson
Posted 4/11/2007 7:54 AM (#250099 - in reply to #249593)

I'd love to join you Kevin, but my travel budget is all allocated to a certain fall trip...
Besides, my contribution to the data in an experiment such as this is usually thrown out as an 'outlier' or some sort of spurious data. It would keep your results more believable, and therefore more easily accepted for peer-review publication if I were not a participant.
S.
Perfect Drift
Posted 4/11/2007 10:23 AM (#250134 - in reply to #249593)

I,d gladly come and stir the pot!
Shep
Posted 4/11/2007 12:41 PM (#250161 - in reply to #250134)

Whatever you need from me Kevin. I'll be there anyway, so I might as well do something constructive for a change.

Hey Capt Extreme. Weren't we supposed to have an early night last year? hehehe Sure enjoyed looking at those hooters til bar close! hehehe
ghitierman
Posted 4/11/2007 2:15 PM (#250182 - in reply to #249593)

I hate to sound cheap but is there an admission fee to cover all this food. If you need volunteers for eating I am a college kid and have lots of friends that would love a good bbq. However I have lots of broke friends.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/11/2007 3:30 PM (#250204 - in reply to #250182)

Matt, I plan on putting out a box for small donations. If you're fishing this area and you're broke, I'll be glad to feed you. To be honest with you, though, I wasn't really planning on feeding a dorm full of starving college kids. The BBQ is for guys/gals from the board and their spouses/kids who are planning to fish SE WI or are close enough to buzz in for BS and pork and poultry consumption.

If you have a couple hungry buddies, that's one thing. "lots of broke friends" is something else.

Hope that makes sense.

Kevin

The big girls like pork.
ghitierman
Posted 4/11/2007 4:20 PM (#250219 - in reply to #250204)

Sounds great I will let you know if I can attend and I will leave my broke friends at home. I had noticed that you kept asking for more "volunteers". If thats what you needed to make this work I could help you out thats all. Hope to see you there
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/11/2007 5:29 PM (#250243 - in reply to #250219)

Hi all, just wanted to drop a post here to thank John Laimon and Kevin for doing this. How cool is this for all of us to stop by and get pumped for the morning opener. Great food, beer, one of the best tackle shops around and great people all together for the pre opener.

Please feel free to show up and eat, drink and be friendly. Ask questions and maybe learn something. Remember the food was not free, the smoker is top of the line costs someone something.

My point is, PLEASE don't just take advantage of this situation. A few bucks will go a long way. Kevin is such a cool guy for doing this. Where else can you eat like a king and enjoy a few beverages for under $20. I plan to eat big time and wash that prime pork down with some Wisconsin brewski's. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying everyone should buck up $20, just pointing out how good of a deal this whole package is. I would bet $10 would add up very nice by the end of the night.

I am sooooo ready for May 4th to get here................
Raider150
Posted 4/12/2007 12:51 PM (#250373 - in reply to #249683)

If we're not working I might be able to swing it.
mskygyd
Posted 4/12/2007 2:28 PM (#250396 - in reply to #249593)

This is the true spirit of the Opener ...
I'm planning on being there -
Local news / sports media should get notice to be there.
would make a cool sports story for the opening of fishing season.

Anybody looking for cheap lodging - there is also a Motel 6 ($39) on Bluemound and Barker.
In Oconomowoc the La Belle Motel is very reasonable. (262) 567 - 8133

Kevin Moore
Team Okauchee
rldourlain
Posted 4/12/2007 6:08 PM (#250439 - in reply to #249593)

does anyone have any open seats?
I talked to esoxaddict lastnight and we would both come up if we could connect.

ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/12/2007 7:51 PM (#250459 - in reply to #249593)

Kevin- Sounds like one great BBQ you guys are putting together. Unfortunately, I'll be in Mpls MN picking up my 2 new KT Professional Edge rods from Keith & taking the wife & grand kids to MOA (Mall of America). Yeah I know it's the southern opener & all that. But Keith's out chasing turkeys every weekend beween now & then. Besides I'm getting major future "get of jail free" cards from the Mrs. Warner.

Have fun!

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 4/12/2007 7:53 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 4/13/2007 9:13 AM (#250560 - in reply to #249593)

I think me & my buddy would like to be there. It's just a short drive from Madison and I need to do a few things in Milw.

About what time will dinner be served?

Gerard
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/13/2007 9:44 AM (#250568 - in reply to #250560)

Gerard, glad to hear it. I was hoping a few Madison guys might come down. I'd like to think 6:00, but more likely 7:00. We'll want to make sure the meats are nice and smokey. You can't rush real BBQ. That gives guys coming from a distance or working that day time to get there, too.

Please let me know if you're coming for sure. We have a couple weeks and I'll do a roll call before hand.

Kevin

muskie! nut
Posted 4/13/2007 10:45 AM (#250586 - in reply to #250568)

Kevin, still waiting to hear from Industries for the Blind - Milw about going there during the day for some training.

If it is a go, I will contact you about bringing something to eat as well. I hate to come empty handed.

BTW - I was in TN a few weeks back and went to one of those slow cooked BBQ places. Was that ever good!!!!!!! We here in the north think of BBQ as cooking something up fast and throwing some sauce on it. Not the case. We ate at a place in Oakridge called Capt Tom's BBQ (who's a guide as well) and he sat down with us and talked a bunch of fishing (mostly muskie). It was great. You know if I ever get back there, I will be stopping in again.

Will be in touch
Gerard

JimLang
Posted 4/13/2007 10:59 AM (#250591 - in reply to #250586)

Dang...this sounds like a good time. I don't live far from Pewaukee, (and don't really know any of you guys) although I'll be up at the cabin getting my "bait" fishing out of the way for the season. We'll be spanking some walleyes, but I'm jonesing for toothy critters!

Good luck and have fun.............
buckster58
Posted 4/16/2007 5:43 AM (#250935 - in reply to #249593)

Hey Muskyhunters, Lookin' for a seat for sat morn opener, Won't have my boat til north opener. I'm not lookin' to freeload, with $3 gas I'll have my wallet out for sure! Thanks, Don Save a Muskie, eat a pike
Esox2hart
Posted 4/16/2007 9:02 PM (#251086 - in reply to #249593)

Kevin,
I am in for sure. Work schedule is good to go. See You boyz there.

Mikey
Team OKAUCHEE!!!!!!
rldourlain
Posted 4/17/2007 10:01 AM (#251164 - in reply to #249593)

still looking to be a netman/boat slut for the day. anyone?
rldourlain
Posted 4/17/2007 9:38 PM (#251306 - in reply to #249593)

I am in. Just made a reservation at the Ramada INN. Waukesha. Total with tax is 66.00 for two beds. If anyone wants the second bed let me know.
Bob Dourlain
847-542-0010
[email protected]
esoxaddict
Posted 4/18/2007 9:12 AM (#251378 - in reply to #249593)

Hey Bob

I'll take it if I can find a seat in someone's boat. Anbody flying solo for this thing?

EA
rldourlain
Posted 4/18/2007 9:16 AM (#251380 - in reply to #249593)

nhi Jeff

Keep me posted. I have a tenative hook up with Perfect Drift from Milw. He was kind of iffy, but is planning on being there. I guess worst case is you & I rent a boat from Smokys?

Bob
esoxaddict
Posted 4/18/2007 1:07 PM (#251409 - in reply to #249593)

Bob, don't worry about it. If I wind up coming up it will be last minute, so give the room to anyone who wants it. I can always sleep in the truck!
rldourlain
Posted 4/18/2007 1:08 PM (#251410 - in reply to #251409)

Jeff, No one in the Room, just in teh boat.

Bob
esoxaddict
Posted 4/18/2007 1:45 PM (#251421 - in reply to #249593)

Just saying -- if someone wants the room don't hold it for me. If I wind up coming up and the room's empty, though I will gladly pay for half of it!
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/18/2007 1:57 PM (#251424 - in reply to #249593)

I wish that I could make it however I have a date with the trout at 5 am Saturday morning, then plan on surprising the muskies with a trip to the river in the afternoon. Kevin....do you deliver??
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/24/2007 7:33 PM (#252612 - in reply to #251424)

Can't deliver, unfortunately, because a starving young college pup like you could probably use some smoked meats in his system.

Please consider attending our humble BBQ. Thought I'd bring this up for a reminder.

Kevin

Let's eat, then fish.
Perfect Drift
Posted 4/26/2007 6:21 PM (#253034 - in reply to #249593)

Bob give a call when you get up here,stay in touch,Lets get out..