Why should I join Muskies Inc.
ghitierman
Posted 3/8/2007 12:16 PM (#243558)
Subject: Why should I join Muskies Inc.

Thinking about joining to support a good cause with my 35 bucks or whatever it costs, but curious what else a member gets.  I would really like to participate in stocking programs and get a kid to fish sort of things.  Wives cannot denny you fishing if it's "for a good cause."

happy hooker
Posted 3/8/2007 12:46 PM (#243563 - in reply to #243558)
Subject: RE: Why should I join Muskies Inc.

MI does all that you mentioned,,,what state/area do you live in???
ghitierman
Posted 3/8/2007 12:56 PM (#243566 - in reply to #243563)

I would think about joining the Milwaukee, Wisconsin chapter. I am aware that they do all this stuff as well but who participates, anyone?
AFChief
Posted 3/8/2007 1:02 PM (#243568 - in reply to #243558)

Value of Membership from the MuskiesInc web site... (muskiesinc.com)

What is the Value of a Muskies, Inc. Membership?

1. What are the key reasons to join Muskies, Inc.?
a. One national voice.

b. Non-Profit 501-C3 Organization recognized by the IRS.

c. Chance to meet other muskie enthusiasts throughout North America.

d. Learn when and where to fish for muskies in other areas of the country.

e. Learn how to catch and properly release muskies.

f. Help conserve, protect and restore North America’s fisheries.

g. Help develop and maintain self-sustaining fish populations.

h. Help fund research projects and activities that improve our muskie fisheries.

i. Access to over 200,000 individual muskie captures on MI’s website.

j. Receive 12 monthly issues of MUSKIE magazine.

k. Eligible to receive college scholarships.

l. Receive travel and tackle discounts.

m. Promotes a national awards program.

n. Provides grants for research, fisheries, and habitat improvement projects.

o. Provides necessary services like, annual filing of IRS form 990 for the entire organization, handles state registrations for local and national fundraisers, and provides a national insurance program.

2. Why should I be a part of a local Chapter of Muskies, Inc.?
a. Chance to meet local muskie enthusiasts.

b. Promotes a local awards program.

c. Learn when and where to fish for muskies in your local area.

d. Learn how to catch and properly release muskies.

e. Gives you opportunities to attend meetings, participate in fundraising activities and make a difference in you local area.

f. Support the local DNR and Conservation programs.

3. Why does Muskies, Inc. promote state alliances?
a. Make an impact on the direction of your state muskie programs.

b. Support the DNR and Conservation programs in your state or region.

c. Improves the relationship with DNR and Conservation State Agencies.

4. Who is Muskies, Inc.?
a. The Chapters and Members of Muskies, Inc.

5. Who represents the Board of Muskies, Inc.?
a. The Regional Vice Presidents and At Large Directors of Muskies, Inc., elected by Members of the Chapters

6. Who runs Muskies, Inc. between Board Meetings?
a. Executive Committee

7. What positions make up the Executive Committee?
a. President

b. Past - President

c. VP – Finance

d. Treasurer

e. VP- Research

f. VP – Membership

g. VP – Communication

h. VP – Internal Affairs

8. What positions are elected each year, and when?
a. President – Fall Board Meeting

b. VPs – Spring Board Meeting

c. ALDs – 1st Quarter

d. Finance Committee – Spring Board Meeting

9. What positions are paid positions in Muskies, Inc?
a. Secretary

b. Assistant Secretary

c. Treasurer

d. Assistant Treasurer

e. Editor

f. Assistant Editor

g. Lunge Log Administrator

h. Webmaster

10. Where does my $30.00 go each year?
a. In 2004, Muskies, Inc. took in around $160,000 in membership dues.

b. This is roughly $130,000 less that what it takes to run the organization.

c. In 2004, the expenses represented what % of my membership dues:

1) Magazine………..56%

2) Salaries…….........38%

3) Administration…..20%

4) Grants…………...16%

5) Membership……..13%

6) Website…………...9%

7) Board Meetings…..9%

8) Awards…………...4%

9) Gil Hamm Fund….2%

10) Youth Programs….2%

11. How does Muskies, Inc. make up the difference in revenue for all the programs and activities they support?
a. Donations from Corporations.

b. Donations from Chapters.

c. Donations from Members.

d. Fundraising activities.

e. Advertising in MUSKIE magazine.

f. Merchandise sales.

12. How does Muskies, Inc. compare in annual membership dues and issues of magazines per year with other conservation groups?
a. Muskies, Inc. - $30.00 per year – 12 issues per year

b. Pheasants Forever - $30.00 per year – 5 issues per year

c. Trout Unlimited - $35.00 per year – 4 issues per year

d. Rocky Mountain Elk - $35.00 per year – 6 issues per year

e. Ducks Unlimited - $25.00 per year – 6 issues per year

f. North American Fishing Club - $18.00 per year – 7 issues per year

AWH
Posted 3/8/2007 1:17 PM (#243573 - in reply to #243558)
Subject: Re: Why should I join Muskies Inc.

I would also throw this question out....if you're passionate about the sport of musky fishing (which most seem to be that frequent this site) why would you NOT join Muskies, Inc.? I honestly can not think of a reason not to be a member for what amounts to two average priced musky lures. If you want to make a difference when it comes to our musky fisheries, this is a great way to do it. However, you get what you put into it. For those that join and just sit back and do nothing, these are the people that generally end up disappointed with the organization.

Aaron
CommonSense Guy
Posted 3/8/2007 1:23 PM (#243574 - in reply to #243558)

It's an easy way to meet good people and become a better fisherman. Why not?
bn
Posted 3/8/2007 1:29 PM (#243577 - in reply to #243558)

Like others have said, why not join? great way to meet fellow musky nuts, enjoy some good seminars etc...Personally I wish they would do away with the magazine and just make it an online magazine members could view...save the organization a ton of dough..

The Capital City Chapter in Madison is a big part of why Madison musky fishing is getting great!
ghitierman
Posted 3/8/2007 1:30 PM (#243578 - in reply to #243574)

I guess that maybe should be the question? Why should I not join musky's inc.? I guess I know why I should. Is there any reason why not to?
AFChief
Posted 3/8/2007 1:35 PM (#243580 - in reply to #243578)

Its what you make of your membership that counts. If you join and just read the magazine you will be shorting yourself. The best benefits is becoming an active member of a chapter.

-- Meet new people
-- Make new friends
-- Access to new boat partners
-- Access to tons of valuable information
-- Benefits far exceed the nominal membership fee you pay
Marc J
Posted 3/8/2007 1:50 PM (#243581 - in reply to #243558)

I moved to MN from out of state and joint MI right away. Didn't know anybody, but I was embraced right away by the other members as if I'd lived here forever. The guys and gals in the club have been awesome as friends and fishing buddies. I've learned more than I possibly remember and I'm proud to serve on the board now.

MI also has given me the chance to be involved in stocking, kids programs, and it's just fun to talk musky fishing once a month with the guys.

tuffy1
Posted 3/8/2007 1:51 PM (#243582 - in reply to #243580)

The Milwaukee Chapter is a great club. Lots of good people in that chapter and you get out of it what you put into it. I wish I could make it to more meetings, but working in IL and making it to Brewtown at night, with a <1 year old makes it tough, but I get there when I can.

Doing the stocking thing is fun as well. This year, I'm hoping to be able to make one of the little one outings too.

Definitely worth your time.
mikie
Posted 3/8/2007 1:55 PM (#243583 - in reply to #243558)

Why not? Well, the International organization right now is a bit of a mess. MI has a strange system where there is a president and a board of directors. IMHO, the president's two year stint really isn't a lot of time to get to know the job and get stuff done, and the International keeps all but $5 of your dues to do what it does.
That said, there's not a lot of stuff the regular member is shorted because of all this. Most local chapters have learned to do their own fundraising and stocking programs, youth programs. If no better reason, the Lunge Log that's maintained by MI is the only national data base on muskie catches! Many states use the data, as should you. Looking for a lake? You can look up what size and number of fish were reported caught there, bait types, and all that.
Hey, you'd blow $35 on a bait, anyway, give it a try for a year. m
Stein
Posted 3/8/2007 2:12 PM (#243585 - in reply to #243558)

The pool demo that we had last night made it worth it for me. Showed me a lure or two that I need but more importantly, showed me several that I had condsidered but now DON'T need. Worth the $35.00 right there. Oh, and I won a copy of "Muskies on the Shield" as a door prize.
dhacker
Posted 3/8/2007 2:31 PM (#243588 - in reply to #243558)

I am renewing my annual family membership again at the Blaine Expo. Myself, fiance' and four kids (10,8,7,6). The kids loved going to the chapter banquet and getting a free bag of fishing goodies from the chapter and the "spin for a bait" wheel. After the chapter meeting, the kids were all excited to try fishing for muskies. For her first muskie ever caught, my fiance' got a custom Phantom lure with the club info on one side and the date, her name and length on the other. She also got a framed plaque for finishing 3rd in the club womens division. I think you will get more appreciation and value from your club effort than the main organization...........but JMO.

Luke Ronnestrand did a 45 minute presentation at our banquet and it was the "what worked in 2006" - I got 4 full pages of notes out of that alone.

I am currently a member of the North Metro Muskies Inc chapter (MN) but grew up in Polk County WI. I have searched the Internet as well as checked the Muskies Inc website to see if there was a chapter in the hometown area I grew up in. I sent information request emails to both Muskies Inc and the WI DNR. Ironically I have recieved emails from three different WI DNR individuals with some "whats next" ideas. I have sent two emails to Muskies Inc via the "Contact Us" form on their web page and have not recieved a reply back from either inquiry. The response from the WI DNR was they were eager to provide information and said if I could get anything including a "what about" meeting initiated that they would be very willing to come and present. Additionally, one of them knew a bunch of guys in the area that have a weekly muskie tournament he would inform them of what was going on.

I have also contacted the webmaster twice at Muskies Inc for a couple questions and had a poor response the first time and no response the second time for a password reset. The information at the site seems really useful - (calendar of events for chapters, fish caught in lakes, etc) but if you can't get to it - no value.

I would recommend joining via the Chapter you wish to participate in. I think you will be extremely happy just for that reason alone. Not to mention the additional 10% discount at a local muskie bait store for being a Muskies Inc member.

Edited by dhacker 3/8/2007 2:37 PM
muskyboy
Posted 3/8/2007 2:35 PM (#243589 - in reply to #243558)

Join a local club and find other people to fish with. If you are in an area with several clubs, check them all out and see which one you like the best. Our Fox River Valley Chapter 39 club is a great bunch of guys and we raise money for stocking, youth programs, and conservation projects. We also host tournaments on the Fox Chain and have a Summer Fishing League in months we don't have speakers at our regular meetings. It is fun and you just might learn something.
musky-skunk
Posted 3/8/2007 5:03 PM (#243612 - in reply to #243558)

I recently joined the heartland chapter (Iowa) and my only reget is not doing it sooner. We are meeting with the DNR next week to talk about managment issues and the information and people are great. They have a lot of information on area lakes/managment/stocking that you just can't find other places. Youth programs are available and they do lots and lots of different things which I am just finding out about... not to mention you get to talk muskies with a good group of guys, thats always fun to me.

I'd encourage you to check it out. If you don't like the meetings then you can just injoy the magazine, tournaments, and just knowing you are helping our sport.
woodieb8
Posted 3/8/2007 6:12 PM (#243630 - in reply to #243558)

im here in canada and a muskies canada member. the meetings will shorten your learning curve and your bucks go to enhance the fisheries. a strong voice is needed otherwise you will lose your rights and fishery. enuff said?. join m.i.
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/8/2007 6:53 PM (#243639 - in reply to #243558)

Woodie made a great point. We need membership in muskie organizations to show the powers that be that we have an organized presence and that we want to be proactive in muskie management. Without a voice backed up by a strong membership it's tough to push for any new programs.
jerkin
Posted 3/9/2007 7:13 AM (#243691 - in reply to #243558)

If you're from the midwest it's a pretty good deal as that's where all the money stays. If you're from out East you won't see much, if any, support from International. That's why people around here are starting the Eastern Musky Alliance, because we can't get any money for our programs. I just heard that they quit giving the $5 per member back to each chapter also, I haven't confirmed it though. If it's true then I think That only lasted a year or 2.

Other than that I always had fun being a member. The meetings and Tournaments were always a good time, met lots of new musky fishermen, found out about some new spots and techniques. MI also had enough pull to get the regulations changed here in PA. for the 1st time in years. The size limit is now up from 30" to 40" and the daily limit down from 2 to 1.
Derrys
Posted 3/9/2007 7:25 AM (#243693 - in reply to #243558)

I like MuskieVet's statement that "It's what you make of your membership that counts".

I joined the Fargo-Moorhead Chapter in 2001. Since then, I have been Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Research Director, Chapter News Writer, Club Photographer, Newsletter Editor/Publisher/, Wednesday Night Fishing league Director, and a member of the Board of Directors. I am now an At Large Director, and actually still hold about 5 of those other possitions. Sure I could have simply signed up and sat there every month at the meetings, which many do, and that is fine. I think you get more out of Muskies Inc. by giving more of yourself. Treats is also right about there being strength in numbers. His Chapter and my own, both stock fish, and keep very updated on other Muskie fishing related matters.

The Chapter level will do more for you than the International can do. I'd suggest joining the closest Chapter and making every effort to get to the monthly meetings. If you can't or don't get to the monthly meetings, and are only getting the Muskie magazine every month, you will not be getting the most from your membership and may be dissappointed after a while. Hope to get you on board.

Edited by Derrys 3/9/2007 7:27 AM