Newby to the Board
MuskyBergy
Posted 3/2/2007 12:23 PM (#242448)
Subject: Newby to the Board

Hey Guys,

New to the board. Been readin' for several months trying to learn from the best! Thought I might post this to give thanks to a couple of you that I met by accident while trying to learn musky fishin' that were great to talk to.

1st - Mr. Steve Worrall - Date - July 2002 or 2003, Place - The Goon
Was up there with Dad & brother fishing for pike, walleye, and smallmouth
Talked with Steve for a couple of hours one evening at the end of the week about Musky fishing and he was more than willing to share his knowledge. (If I had only known what an icon in the sport I was talking to back then) I was wanting to convert over to Musky fishing but had no knowledge. Steve laid out several interesting scenarios about musky fishing and I was like a kid looking thru a glass window at a chocolate factory. To say I was mesmerized is an understatement. I scheduled a trip back to the Goon in 2006 with my wife to fish strictly for Muskies but primarily to talk with Steve again and tell him how much I appreciated him talking with me. I used to fish bass tournaments and used to make descent money from my winnings but I've gotten bored with it. Last year I decided to take up Musky fishing because I love the adrenalin rush. I planned a trip to the Goon and Bemidji area with my wife in tow. First was the trip to the Goon and my wife (who rarely fishes) took books to read in the boat. Once she saw my first follow and how wound up I got, she picked up a rod and asked me to show her how to use it. From then on, 14 hours per day on the water, everyday of the week, she never picked up her books. Fished for muskies the hole time. We managed one fat 44" in the boat and roughly 8 other follows. She was hooked.
Thanks Steve for helping out a newbe.

2nd - MSKY HNR, Time - August 2006, Place - Plantangenet in the Bemidji area

My wife and I pulled into the lake around 11:00 am after fishing Bemidji for the morning and you and a friend had just pulled out. You came up to our boat and started conversation. You warned me about the shallowness of the boat ramp and too keep the motor trimmed up quite a ways out due to low lake levels. You also proceded to give the two of us some tips about this lake that we had never fished before. You impressed both me and my wife that day with your kindness and willingness to help a stranger. I wanted to say thank you and you are a fine example of what a true sportsman is made of.

My wife and I live in Kansas City and our closest musky lake is over 3 hours away. But we've scheduled a trip the first of April to Kirksville, MO, a trip back to the Bemidji area the end of August, and hopefully a trip to Andy Meyers Lodge on Eagle in July.

Thanks guys for helping out a newbe to the sport!

I hope to meet you guys again this summer and hope to chat with you on this board.

Bergy
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/2/2007 12:33 PM (#242453 - in reply to #242448)
Subject: RE: Newby to the Board

Welcome MuskyBergy! This site is incredible for the amount of information but also for how well it's moderated. You will definitely learn a lot!
sworrall
Posted 3/2/2007 1:05 PM (#242464 - in reply to #242453)

Welcome, and good to hear from you again!
esoxlazer
Posted 3/2/2007 1:33 PM (#242468 - in reply to #242448)
Subject: Re: Newby to the Board

Welcome aboard. The two you mentioned and many, many others have been more than willing to help a lot of people. Its always nice to head to new water and have confidence because you got a few e-mails or PMs giving information on spots, baits, or techniques.
Shep
Posted 3/2/2007 2:28 PM (#242476 - in reply to #242468)

Welcome, Bergy!

You got away from Worrall after only a couple hours? Man, he must have been off his game!

Do me a favor? When you get back to Bemidji, stop in at the Git-R-Done Saloon, and slap GregM upside the head. Then ask him for any tips he might have on the local muskie lakes. Greg's a great guy, and will be a great help, I'm sure.

Edited by Shep 3/2/2007 2:30 PM
Stein
Posted 3/2/2007 2:33 PM (#242477 - in reply to #242448)

Welcome! You have an IM.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/2/2007 3:09 PM (#242485 - in reply to #242477)

Welcome aboard.

It's funny how once you get past Steve's terrifying outer shell, there's a kindly helpful gentleman underneath.

Kevin

Let someone else do it.
BNelson
Posted 3/2/2007 5:01 PM (#242505 - in reply to #242448)

Hey Bergy! I remember the day very vividly! Lots of good info and people here...if you want, drop me an email...I have fished the lake by Kirksville for ski's and can give you some pointers...
[email protected]
muskyyoungster
Posted 3/3/2007 8:57 PM (#242678 - in reply to #242448)

hey im pretty new to this board too but ive posted once or twice a long time ago. welcome
muskyboy
Posted 3/3/2007 9:06 PM (#242681 - in reply to #242448)

Welcome to the newest MF'r, it is a great site with great peeps!
Mauser
Posted 3/4/2007 1:47 PM (#242775 - in reply to #242448)

Welcome aboard, you can't beat these guys and gals here, they won't steer you wrong.

Mauser
MuskyBergy
Posted 3/5/2007 9:35 AM (#242900 - in reply to #242448)

Thnx guys! Was able to get a couple of lunge's this year on our trips. My biggest was 44 and my wifes was 48 1/2. Found a pattern and caught 3 between 42-44 and gave the lure to my wife so she could have the best chance at her first lunge. 10 minutes later - bam! in the net with the biggest fish. Cons-she won't let me live it down that she has the biggest ski and tells all our friends. Pros-she wants to take more trips and buy more lures. Not bad.

Shep - Will make it a point to stop by Get-R-Done saloon for smack and some knowledge.......how big is this guy anyways???

Steve W. - Hope to get to talk to you again someday. Really enjoyed the campfire conversation. Am heading to the Goon the 1st week of June for some big pike fishin in the shallows. Had a huge ski engulf a black buzzbait in a foot of water in the reeds last year. Took the buzz and 6" of leader with him and left a hole in the water that a bathtub could set in.

Everyone else - Thnx for allowing me to be a part of such a great website and organization. Hope to meet all of you in the near future.

Bergy
Shep
Posted 3/5/2007 10:11 AM (#242907 - in reply to #242900)

Not to worry about Gregger. He's a great guy, and loves talking and fishing Muskies. Went to his wedding last summer, and while his boat was packed for his honeymoon trip to LOTW, he offered to unpack it for me to use for some time on Bemidji. That's the kind of guy he is. The best.