How are bump boards better?
Marc J
Posted 2/26/2007 7:17 PM (#241690)
Subject: How are bump boards better?

Can someone tell me how a bump board is the best way to handle fish?

I'm not trying to start something, I could care less how someone measures their fish, but everyone seems to use them and I can't see how it's better than measuring your fish in the water or in the net, especially if you need to get it wet each time and have the fish out of the water to use it.

Did they gain popularity in tourneys and now everyone uses them? It seems like guaranteed time out of the water and more possibility of the fish flopping or being dropped.
IAJustin
Posted 2/26/2007 7:21 PM (#241693 - in reply to #241690)
Subject: Re: How are bump boards better?

I would say more "accurate"..not better
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 7:27 PM (#241696 - in reply to #241693)

Exactly. Very fast if used properly, you are talking about 10 seconds if you are ready and know what you are doing. I don't measure a fish unless it's a big girl, and then usually measure her in the water or do a quick measure while I get ready to take the picture.
ToddM
Posted 2/26/2007 9:32 PM (#241719 - in reply to #241690)
Subject: RE: How are bump boards better?

I don't measure many fish either, only if there is a dispute to it's size or it's 40 or better but not even when it is just 40. That depends on how badly it is hooked too. It gets done when the fish comes up for a picture. Fast and efficient that way and it is a faster way to measure. Definitely more accurate.
sledge51
Posted 2/27/2007 3:59 AM (#241753 - in reply to #241690)

If you are fishing by yourself, they are much faster, and easily the most accurate way to measure a fish. I've tried many different ways to measure fish, the bump board is the best.
Jim Stroede
Posted 2/27/2007 8:21 AM (#241773 - in reply to #241753)

My Dunwright Bump Board floats, so it can be used in the water. I use it up on the deck at times too, just get it wet first to save slime coat.

Jim Stroede
www.jimstroedefishing.com
hftb
Posted 2/27/2007 8:40 AM (#241780 - in reply to #241690)

Great tool to use and doesn't require the fish being out of the water for much time at all. I was able to get a color coded one from Paul Hartman which makes it even nicer IMO.

Edited by hftb 2/27/2007 8:45 AM
Beaver
Posted 2/27/2007 12:47 PM (#241838 - in reply to #241690)

I use a bump board that my dad made for me. It is a 1 x 6 with a 60" ruler embedded in it.
The best part is the back of it. There are columns and lines, and it is used as a fish catching record. Lake, Lure, Angler, Fish Size, Date.
Along with the treasure chest that he made for me, it's a family heirloom as much as a measuring device.
Beav
Ben Kueng
Posted 2/28/2007 1:02 PM (#242054 - in reply to #241690)

I like how marc Thorpe measures his fish and since I have a frabill cradle in the garage that I dont use, thats how I will be measuring my fish next season.

I typically measure every fish over 35, or any sized fish if one of my clients catches it. Most people want to know the size of the fish they caught, whether it be for bragging rights or just piece of mind. In my boat, measuring a fish is part of the photo process and takes less than 1 minute. Saves me the headache of people asking me all day "So how big do you think that fish was" It always makes me laugh when a "estimated" mid 30" that was caught in the morning somehow turns into a low 40" by lunch time...LOL
bigg worm
Posted 2/28/2007 2:58 PM (#242087 - in reply to #241690)

all i know about bump boards is they cost me and my partner first place in the Best of the Best tourney in Green Bay last fall. 6th fish of the day, in a hurry, thought it was a no brainer, put the board on the back casting deck of my bass boat, and yep, you guessed it, overboard she went with no official measurement. i said 38, the judge said 40, but a 36" would have given us the win.

I hate bump boards!
Ben Kueng
Posted 2/28/2007 3:20 PM (#242088 - in reply to #241690)

No offense, but that sounds like a bad case of "user error"..Either way though it sucks..
muskie_man
Posted 2/28/2007 4:32 PM (#242118 - in reply to #241690)

I though about gettin one and using it, but i just dont know. I really dont want to take the risk of the fish flopping off of it onto the boat carpet removing some of its slime and gettin tangled in everything else. Its a neat idea, but for now i think i might just stick to measuring my fish with the net in the water with the floating measuring stick.

Edited by muskie_man 2/28/2007 4:33 PM
jonnysled
Posted 2/28/2007 4:50 PM (#242121 - in reply to #241690)

fasten some floatation foam on the back of it maybe eh?
MikeHulbert
Posted 2/28/2007 4:52 PM (#242122 - in reply to #241690)

I've never had a problem with a fish flopping around...Just hold her there.

They are a lot safer than holding them up vertically, and this way you can get an actual "real" measurement.

I have seen to many people drop muskies, so I pick them up, lay them down to measure, pick the fish back up, put it in my clients hands and then a few quick shots with the camera. This is all done in a matter of less than 30 seconds.

They BY FAR make life easier, are better for the fish and better for the angler that wants a real measurement.
Mr Musky
Posted 2/28/2007 5:17 PM (#242126 - in reply to #241690)

I agree completely with Mike, I go from taking the fish out of the net, right to the bump board that is set on top of the rod locker, from there right into the picture and back into the water, all less then 20 seconds.

I use to measure them in the net with the floating stick, well what a fiascal that was most of the time. The fish was usually thrashing banging it's head against the boat, by the time you got a "close" measurement the tail was half shredded. And it just didn't work well for me so I gave up on that. The bump board is definitely the way to go! Sometime's that 1/2 inch can make all the difference! Of course there's no gray area with the bumpboards! I highly recommend them!!

Mr Musky
bn
Posted 2/28/2007 8:38 PM (#242170 - in reply to #241690)

I agree with Mike and the last post..if you want a "real" measurment of your fish the bump board is going to be the most accurate....I go from net, directly to bump board, take a quick measure..a couple photo's with the digital and back into the net if you want to double check pics or in to the water she goes...
very quick, easy and accurate...