When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?
dhacker
Posted 2/25/2007 8:00 AM (#241319)
Subject: When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?

I am curious what you tip when you use a muskie fishing guide for a day on the water? Most guides allow up to two in the boat for the same daily rate so I am curious what you'd pay for the total tip for a day?

For example:
On the water all day (8-14hrs), guide busts his butt to put you on fish but just can't get one in the boat?

Guide puts you on fish but not what you were looking for?

Guide puts you on your biggest fish ever?

Griz619
Posted 2/25/2007 8:33 AM (#241323 - in reply to #241319)
Subject: Re: When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?

D
I tip 50-60 bucks regardless. I haven't seen a guide bust his butt, but I have only been with 2.

Pete
jdsplasher
Posted 2/25/2007 8:37 AM (#241325 - in reply to #241319)
Subject: RE: When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?

There will be a variety of opinions on this one. Generally you should tip about the same amount you would at a restaurant, about 15%. Especially if you boat a fish. If you get the biggest fish of your life, maybe 25-30% of guide fee...IMHO;-)
ShaneW
Posted 2/25/2007 12:18 PM (#241348 - in reply to #241325)
Subject: RE: When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?

I generally start with that same 15% in mind but I make clear what I want up front from the guide. If I want to learn a lake and am less interested in the fish I catch that day or if I want to catch fish or want a shot at better fish I let him know up front. If the guide exceeds my expectations I go more than that. The biggest tip I ever gave a guide was on a day I never saw a fish but I learned how to use planer boards and troll breaklines.

Shane

Edited by ShaneW 2/25/2007 1:23 PM
esoxcpr
Posted 2/25/2007 12:28 PM (#241355 - in reply to #241319)

A tip should have to do with how hard the guide worked and how much they taught you, not whether or not any fish were boated.

I tip between 0% and 25% depending how hard the guide worked and what I learned from the trip. Two examples:

I have had musky guides that busted their butt all day. Stood in front of the boat and did nothing but run the trolling motor searching the water for structure, weeds, etc never even thinking of picking up a rod themselves. Instructed us where to cast and why, how to work the baits, why we were fishing certain areas at certain times, etc. Told us how he changes the presentation and boat position for weather patterns and seasons and how that related to fish behavior in that and other lakes. Never boated a fish that day and it probably was the best guide trip I've ever had. That guide got a 25% tip for that day even though we didn't catch a thing.

Had another guide that didn't do crap. Never explained anything to us, casted a lure himself all day, wouldn't tell us why we were fishing a certain area or why certain baits were the way to go. Wouldn't answer questions. Acted like we were fishing his secret spots and we didn't need to know why, that we should just be priveleged to be there. He caught the biggest fish of his life that day, and we caught a couple small ones. We didn't have much fun or learn anything we didn't already know. He didn't get a tip at all.

Again, in my opinion it has nothing whatsoever to do with catching or not catching fish. What you learn and gain from the experience determines the tip (if any). I'd say 15% should be average.
guideman
Posted 2/25/2007 12:38 PM (#241359 - in reply to #241325)

Hey Jd,
Tips are always much appreciated, no matter the amount.
I have had tips as large as $150.00 and as small as $5.00.

Most people know if you gave them your very best effort, regardless of the number fish they boated during the trip.

I have received some of my best tips when nobody boated fish.
On the other hand, I have put people on their largest Muskie ever and got nada.

Not everyone I fish with can afford a big tip, so anything I get over my fee is appreciated. If you can't afford to tip your guide, offer to buy them lunch. They always appreciate a nice hot lunch over a cold cut sandwich any day.

"Ace"

ESfishOX
Posted 2/25/2007 1:55 PM (#241391 - in reply to #241319)
Subject: Re: When you have used a guide - what do you tip?....or what do you consider a good tip?

great question.

It's good to see the responses. I have only hired one guide so far, four times. I won't mention Koepp's name, but first time out was 15% and then the others were better than 30%. He fits in the categories of explaining, showing, and git er done.

I believe tips have to be earned. Knowing what I do now, I know what questions to ask even before hiring them. I know this has been brought up before, and it is so true.

Posted 2/25/2007 3:20 PM (#241405 - in reply to #241319)

I find this interesting, why should you have to tip, unless you feel he goes beyond the norm. You made a contract with him, you already are paying his price that he determines to be fair. The guides should not expect a tip, because he is already been paid for is job.
sworrall
Posted 2/25/2007 7:13 PM (#241440 - in reply to #241405)

Hey guest,

Who said a Guide EXPECTS a tip?

I have had tips from $20 to $500.

Tip what YOU feel is right, from zero to whatever, don't worry about anyone else's opinions.

I never actually expect a tip, and am always surprised and delighted to see one when I get home and count the money. (Don't count your money when you are sitting at the table, sage advice for looking gracious)
esoxlady
Posted 2/25/2007 11:12 PM (#241484 - in reply to #241319)

"Who said a Guide EXPECTS a tip?"

Steve- that is a subject for an entirely new post.

Do guides expect a tip? If they do- what do they expect, and what factors do they believe should influence their tips?

Any guides out there bold enough to respond?
theedz155
Posted 2/26/2007 6:18 AM (#241513 - in reply to #241319)

Guest -
I've fished with several guides. Have never felt that any of them "expected" a tip. That being said, I have never NOT tipped a guide.

They're just like any other service oriented profession. If you have no problem giving a waitress a tip for bringing you coffee, the guys at the car wash for towelling your car, the bellboy for bringing your luggage up etc (they're all doing their job and what they are paid to do just like you said)..., why wouldn't you tip a guide for the work that he does. (Unless as I suspect, it's the amount thing .50 v $50.... but that's totally another issue) Especially, if you feel the guide gave it his best. For me, catching fish has nothing to do with it. It's all about the effort, their personality and the learning. I've had one guide who on a bluebird day (the dreaded Thiede/Van Lieshout effect strikes again) where I really didn't expect any fish, put us on five different lakes and we ended up with a 38". The company was great, I learned a lot just from talking to him and he NEVER gave up (literally about 20 hours before my partners/my arms gave out plus afterwards he told us he would have kept us out 'til morning). Needless to say, he got a tip. Was out with another guide who was unable to put a fish in the boat for my daughter and I. He showed us fish but luck just wasn't with us that day. However, he had a great time with my 10 year old daughter, kept her spirits and hopes up and kept her laughing all day. He was tipped for the experiences he gave us. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

Don't see the time coming where I'm NOT going to tip. Unless the trip is horrendous and the problems are things caused by the guide. Weather, equipment failure on well maintained equipment, the amount of fish caught and the like are all things that are out of the guides control.

Scott
Big Perc
Posted 2/26/2007 7:41 AM (#241524 - in reply to #241319)

The few times I have had a guide we tipped pretty good for the ones that knew what they were doing and worked hard to get us on fish...probably $50 for the 2 we had in Minnesota (1 on Leech and another on Mille Lacs)...if we would have caught fish I probably would have tipped $100...in Iowa I had a muskie once that was horrible and he didn't get jack from us...he had no idea what he was doing and we shouldn't have booked him...I have heard though that depending on the amount of fish you catch, people tip up to the cost of the trip...my dad went ocean fishing in Hawaii and they expected $100 tip per fish they caught...they caught 3 tuna ranging from 60 lbs to 90 lbs...$300 tip was expected of them...I don't know if they gave that much but still...

Big Perc

Edited by Big Perc 2/26/2007 7:43 AM
castmaster
Posted 2/26/2007 8:16 AM (#241529 - in reply to #241319)

"They're just like any other service oriented profession. If you have no problem giving a waitress a tip for bringing you coffee, the guys at the car wash for towelling your car, the bellboy for bringing your luggage up etc (they're all doing their job and what they are paid to do just like you said)"

the occupations you mention all pay minimum wage or close to it. people in those occupations dont have the ability to set their own wages at an amount they feel compensates them fairly...they are paid a wage by an employer.

a more fair comparison would be would you tip someone teaching a class at your local community education programs? would you tip the mechanic at your local auto shop?

would you tip your childs school teachers? coaches? how bout the kid flipping your burger at mcdonalds?

there are a TON of service industry jobs where a tip isn't common. those that are ARE ALSO TAXED AT 10% OF THEIR GROSS INCOME FOR TIPS RECEIVED(wait staff is 10% of gross sales), based on the assumption the average tip received is 10%. would guides be ok with their profession being added to that category seeing as tips are customary? i wonder how much $$ is going unreported in the form of cash tips.

Edited by castmaster 2/26/2007 8:19 AM
Ben Kueng
Posted 2/26/2007 9:13 AM (#241533 - in reply to #241319)

Bold enough??? Just the fact that a person decided to start guiding in the first place makes them bold in my book..

Funny thing about tips- Ive put many people on there best day or best fish and havent been tipped a penny. On the other hand, I've been tipped up to $125 on skunk days. Its actually happened sooo many times that I came up with this conclusion

Fact of the matter, is that people like to see there money working for them. On days where the fishing is exceptional, I think some people assume that musky fishing is easy and that somehow the guide isnt working very hard (false)..

Now, on tough days (in my boat at least) the site of me scrambling is not only entertaining, but also shows the clients that Im working for my wage.

I actually have to disagree that you should tip your guide like you would a waiter..A food server makes $2.33 an hour. Most guides make AT LEAST $20.00 an hour after expenses. If the guide does his job (fish or not) and you end the day feeling like you have a better understanding of musky fishing and were entertained, than by all means, tip what you can afford.

In a two day period last season I was tipped $125 by a middle aged guy from chicago who stuck a 45, and $5 from a college kid who boated a 48. In my eyes, both tips held the same value and were greatly appreciated-Its the gesture, not the monetary value.

If your like me (pretty poor) and still want to hire a guide, dont let the tip thing get in your way. Bring your guide a sandwich or something. Like I said, its not the value, but the gesture..

To be honest,I dont expect a tip and could care less if I get one or not-I make a living doing exactly what I want and thats enough for me. The best tip I get is on tough days when a client tells me he saw me working my tail off to get him a fish and was still satisfied with the trip even though he didnt get a fish.

Bold enough for ya EL...LOL
castmaster
Posted 2/26/2007 9:37 AM (#241538 - in reply to #241533)

i will add this to my previous comments. if the guide rate is based on an 8 hour day, and the guide keeps going longer than that, i can see where a tip is in order for his EXTRA time and effort.

if the guide rate is higher than avg based on a longer day than 8 hours than you have already paid for that extra time.
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 9:41 AM (#241541 - in reply to #241533)

Ben said it well. I do not expect a tip, but appreciate it very much when one is offered. Theedz sees the day differently than castmaster, and that's fine. Since I do not expect a tip, I'm not disappointed if one is not offered, and am delighted when it is.
muskymeyer
Posted 2/26/2007 11:02 AM (#241572 - in reply to #241319)

The best tips I ever got were lures "intentionally" left in my boat. Nothing better than getting back into the boat after people have left and finding an Oxley or Wick lure sitting on the front deck.

Way better than cash in my opinion. And not expected.

Corey Meyer
theedz155
Posted 2/26/2007 11:38 AM (#241579 - in reply to #241572)

So.... a tip should be expected or not expected based on monetary income of the recipient???

Have you ever bought dinner or a bottle of wine for a real estate agent or car salesman??

And, I have tipped the mechanic on occasion. Not monetarily, but my wife has baked cakes for the shop and I've bought a lunch or two over the years too.

As far as the guide goes, I guess I figure ahead that a tip will be in the offering. It could go up or down based on the day and what happens. Like I said, if the things that go on are beyond the guides control, that's not taken into account. If the guide is less that knowledgable, isn't familiar with the lakes/area or his equipment fails because he's using 20 year old stuff that hasn't been maintained then it's a different story.

To each his own I guess. This is just my opinion. Just like ********, everyone has one and no two are alike. No ones is better or worse as long as your happy with your own.

(I had to adjust, I didn't like "Wonderful gentlemans"....)

Edited by theedz155 2/26/2007 11:41 AM
muskyone
Posted 2/26/2007 3:33 PM (#241651 - in reply to #241572)

I for one really appreciate a tip at the end of a guide trip. When using a guide I of course tip them as I like to get tipped myself. While it is true that if you figure out an hourly rate, most guides receive $20.00 per hour and up. While this sounds great what you are figuring is the guides time not the expense of equipment etc. For example: You can hire a good Bass guide around Orlando Fla. for around $300.00 per day or just rent a Bass Boat for about $250.00 or so per day. Does this make the guides wages $50.00 per day for his work? Think about all the expenses guides have and I think you will see that they certainly earn all that they get. A nice little tip at the end of the day is surley a nice touch and is a great way to get your guide to work even a little harder the next time out. I personally do not have the time any longer to do a lot of the guiding I used to do. I still have several clients that come every year and we have become close friends over the years. These folks still tip at the end of a long day but certainly do not have to or is it expected. It is just a very nice touch that makes me feel good at the end of the trip.
Beaver
Posted 2/26/2007 3:37 PM (#241653 - in reply to #241319)

I fish with a couple of guides, but it's by invitation, not by booking. I still offer to pay for gas, buy lunch, and I'm so clumsy that I always drop lures in their boats.
The only guide that I ever hired, took us out for a half-day on a cold October day, no wind, not a cloud in the sky and after we treated him to lunch to warm up, we told him to just hang it up because it just wasn't a "musky day". He agreed, but wanted to try one more spot on the way back to the landing and put my friend on a 42"er. My partner didn't tip anything, but I tipped him $20. That was all I had in my pocket. It never dawned on my partner to give him a tip.
I worked as a mate on a salmon boat on Lake Michigan, helping my brother for many years. Let me tell ya, I worked my tail off. 6 downriggers, planer boards, Dipseys, even out riggers sometimes. Guys who were taking out business clients would tip me $100 some times. Some times everybody on board would pass the hat. Sometimes I got nothing, but I busted my tail anyway, because that is what my brother was paying me for. I guess that is a little different than tipping a guide, but I base my tipping by the amount of effort that the person that I'm tipping is putting out. If I'm eating in a college town, the tip is automatically 25%. If my waitress thinks that she is doing me a favor, I'll make it a point to tip the bus boy right in front of her and then tip her the minimum.
And while we're on the subject, if you pull out a tip calculator when you go out to eat with me, you better have room for it in your stomach!
"Can I have more coffee? Can we get some more rolls over here?".....how much is 15%?
Gimme a break.
I like hearing from the guides. More please.
Marc J
Posted 2/26/2007 3:56 PM (#241660 - in reply to #241319)

I have used my security deposit for a tip. $50 on a $250 to $350 trip sounds pretty good to me. The only reason I wouldn't tip is if a guide really didn't give a rip and I don't think there's many of them out there.
reelman
Posted 2/26/2007 4:03 PM (#241661 - in reply to #241319)

I guess I have a little problem with the custom of tipping guides. It is not fair to compare them to waiters since the guide is the one who sets the price. If a guide feels he is worth $300 per day plus a $50 tip then they should just charge $350 and be done with it. If the waitress was able to set the pay that she was getting then I wouldn't tip her either.

Some people say that the tip is there to make sure that the guide gives it his all. Well if he isn't giving it his all for 100% of his clients then he shouldn't be guiding!

I'm not a cheap person but I just hate not knowing what things will cost. I wish that restaraunts would just pay there waiters a reasonable pay, add that on to the price of the food so that we knew what we were going to have to pay. Same for guides if you think you are worth more then raise your price. If you are not getting enough money o cover the expenses then you need to charge more also.

All that being said I am going on a guided bear hunt this fall and have every intention of tipping my guide even though he sets his own price. Does that make me a hypocrite? LOL
Ben Kueng
Posted 2/26/2007 4:06 PM (#241662 - in reply to #241319)

Actually, my earlier post stated that most guides make a min. of $20 an hour AFTER expenses. Most trips are 8 hrs and cost an average of $300. I cant vouch for other guides, but my daily expenses dont come anywhere close to $140...

Personally, I give a 110% regardless of if the client tipped big last time, paid in full previously, the trip was donated or I feel like guiding that day.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/26/2007 4:21 PM (#241664 - in reply to #241319)

Standard tip for me is $50. Sometimes I feel like it was an obligation and not well deserved, and sometimes I feel like maybe it wasn't enough. But $50 is kind of my limit. Between the guide fee, gas, food,and tip, a day on the water costs $500. If I made a lot of money, maybe an extra $20 for the tip wouldn't be a big deal, but as it stands now, I'm pretty well broke until payday when I take a guide trip.
Beaver
Posted 2/26/2007 5:23 PM (#241674 - in reply to #241664)

The term TIPS actually means...TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE. People used to tip waitresses and other members of the wait staff and management to insure that they got special service. Somewhere along the line it got turned around.
Just thought that I'd throw that useless piece of info in there. I'm done now.
Mr Musky
Posted 2/26/2007 9:22 PM (#241714 - in reply to #241319)

Hey I got a wrench to throw into this subject, do any of you guides also charge your gas run? My partner and I have taken a guide out two times on LOTW and besides the $300 guide fee we also had to pay for this guides gas bill and then our tip on top of it all. Not a cheap day but money well spent when you are on fish the rest of the week, and dont tear up your lower unit after the week is done. I was just wondering if that's a common practice in Canada or anywhere else in the states.

Mr Musky
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 9:26 PM (#241717 - in reply to #241714)

Nope. my fee is my fee, no surcharges.
MikeHulbert
Posted 2/26/2007 9:33 PM (#241720 - in reply to #241319)

As most said, tips are great, but not expected.

Like others as well, I have gotten tips that range anywhere from $5.00 to $500. I have also gotten cool tips like baits, clothes, offer to fill up my boat and van at the end of the day, dinners, etc...

I charge $275 a day, $500 for two days. Avg. time on the water during peak season is over 16 hours. That breaks down to $17.00 an hour. Then you can add in gas, suckers, baits, drinks, etc.. that I all provide. So if I buy $40.00 worth of suckers, two new bulldawgs, bag of ice, 6-7 waters, etc...I can have $75-$80 wrapped up in the day before gas, which happens alot. So when those days happen it is more like $12.00 an hour. I don't burn a lot of gas, so I never figure that into the equation either.

I just try to give my clients the most they can get, whether that is time on the water, amount of fish in the boat, etc....I want them all walking away knowing that got an actual "full day" of fishing and not just banker hours.

One thing I do for for sure, I am definately not getting rich doing what I am doing!
Mr Musky
Posted 2/26/2007 9:50 PM (#241725 - in reply to #241319)

Mike 16 hrs a day; that is quite impressive! Sounds like you give it your all each and every day! What do you do when you have to guide back to back days? I'd just sleep in the boat!

Mr Musky
MikeHulbert
Posted 2/26/2007 9:58 PM (#241728 - in reply to #241319)

Take a short nap, and get up and do it all over again....
guideman
Posted 2/26/2007 11:55 PM (#241745 - in reply to #241728)

I'd like to make one thing very clear for everyone here.

Guides don't set the prices, customers do that.

That's what makes America great. The free market system. You charge what the market will bear. I have a thought for you to consider.

In 1987, I was charging $85.00 a day. I have had to raise my rates this year for the first time in 5 years up from $300 to $325 for a full day. My rates include gas tackle and any other necessary equipment.

My take home pay is almost the same at $325 as it was at $85 back in the day.
Everybody works hard for their jing guys and full time guides aren't any different
than anyone else.

Tips are a great way to help keep the cost of a guide trip affordable. A few extra bucks here and there, makes it much easier to cover all of the cost of doing business, without passing it on to the consumer.

$20.00 an hour? yea I wish. One other thing, Please don't confuse a once or twice a week guide with a another full time job, as a full time professional guide.

We run a business, we have to pay taxes just like any other business. I don't have a box of cash under the bed marked don't show this to the IRS.

Tips are great, I'll never turn one down.
I'll never imply that I deserve one either, that is up to the customer.

Is the ice gone yet?

"Ace"

Beaver
Posted 2/27/2007 7:53 AM (#241766 - in reply to #241319)

This is for the guides.
Do you do trips where there is little or no fishing involved?
5 years ago I made my first trip to Cass. I had a map, a GPS and an empty head. Allens Bay is bigger than any lake that I have ever seen.
What if I wanted to hire you just to take me around the lake, show me areas to avoid and areas to fish......not your hot spots, but show me the lake and let me watch the locator and GPS as you idle around and show me the lay of the land?
Would you charge a full day or regular price?
Let's just say for instance I wanted to fish Vermillion or M'Lax.
What would you charge for a tour of the lake?
It takes a long time to learn a lake, and if you spend the first week of a 2 week trip just looking around, you waste lots of time and gas....and could lose your lower unit. I think that a tour would cover more area than a full day of fishing.
What would you guys do, or wouldn't you do it?
Not that I'm planning to go anywhere
Besides, any guide besides Sworrall would have to adjust to my...fish for 2 hours, lay flat on my back on the back deck for an hour....fish for 2 hours....repeat, sometimes with a bag of ice on my back. I fished 16 hours once with Steve, and cut the trip short and left for home the next day and had trouble pushing the clutch in. No more beating myself up. I'm old enough to know my limitations.
So do you think a tour is a good thing if you aren't booked, and what would you charge? Same as a regular day?
Beav
Ben Kueng
Posted 2/27/2007 9:57 AM (#241799 - in reply to #241319)

I guide full-time and have NO problem clearing 20 bucks an hour. If I wasnt, than I would charge more..From my experience, it seems that the CA/MN guides end up taking a much larger hit for gas, but there fees are the same as some of the top guides in my area.

Ive fished with many of the top guides in Canada and almost every single one charged me $250+ gas. At first I thought it was a scam, but once I saw what they paid to fill there 45 gallon tank (that almost went empty on a daily basis) I didnt have a problem with it.
BACKLASH
Posted 2/27/2007 11:56 AM (#241819 - in reply to #241799)

I must admit I do not use guides very often. I have been very lucky to fish with many top guides as friends, but when I do hire a guide I look for a few things out of the guide. I am looking to learn. Sometimes it's the lake and other times it is their knowledge of fishing.

I tip very very well when I can learn. I could care less if we take a fish. That is just a bonus. Tell me why we are fishing this spot. Tell me why you are using that lure or presentation. Tell me what the conditions are and why you do what you do. I'm paying for an education.

I do find it funny how hard those things can be to drag out of some guides. I would think that would just be second nature to them.
muskymeyer
Posted 2/27/2007 1:16 PM (#241849 - in reply to #241766)

In response to Beaver,

When I did a good deal of guiding (no where full-time) and had a website with reports page on occasion I would get requests for "recon" trips as I called them. These would range from half days to a couple hours. I would always try to accomodate these people and somehow fit them into my schedule. Even if all I had was 2 hours I would pick them up and show them around their "section" of the flowage showing areas to fish and their outline as well as where to run and what to look out for. I never charged for the short 1-2 hour trips and just asked them to email me and let me know how they did fishing. In most cases the person(s) would give me 10-20 dollars for the information although I did not request it or expect it. If I was full time I would have done the same thing, although it would have been more difficult to schedule. I have been stood up a couple times for the 1-2 hour "free" tours too . . go figure.

Corey Meyer
dhacker
Posted 2/27/2007 1:47 PM (#241853 - in reply to #241849)

Wow Corey - IMO the information your willing to share is more valuable than $10 - $20.

That is one of the key pieces of using a guide I am looking for as well as presentation and lure selections for that body of water.

If you gave me two hours of showing me spots on the water - I would think that is easily worth $50 if not more.

I started this post with curiousity to what others have done or have opinions. I am amazed at the variance of ideas from the tip is included in the guide trip fee to tips based upon performance (this is where my opinion lays).

I have used one guide thus far for four different trips (2 on Mille Lacs, 1 on Vermilion and 1 on Minnetonka) but in 2007 with be using this guide twice (1 on Vermilion and 1 on Mille Lacs) and am going once with Gregg Thomas one day on Mille Lacs.

I have also fished with a friend or my fiance with the guide and we have tipped $100 each and the last time the weather was terrible, the fishing was hard and we fished 8 hours I tipped $50 but am not sure what my partner tipped that day. All other trips have been 10 - 13 hours on the water. This guide does everything in his power to get us on fish and is willing to share his knowledge. He gives us his equipment if we choose to use it and gives us the baits he feels have the best chance for success based upon the conditions. Then he throws lures in the back of the boat trying different colors, baits, etc. If he catches a fish on a bait, he immediately gives one of us that bait to throw.

We elected to try Gregg Thomas one day from listening to his input in a seminar, talking with him and his typical outing day is not an 8 hr day but upwards of 12+. That's what I am looking for and thought trying a different guide might provide a different perspective.

I am sure that the cost to guide has increased with the price of fuel both to get to the lake as well as on the water. Bait / equipment costs have increased but "might" be minimized if the guide is sponsored by that manufacture - but I would assume not all guides have key sponsors.

BACKLASH
Posted 2/27/2007 3:13 PM (#241875 - in reply to #241853)

Hacker,I can tell you this....work out before you fish with Greg. He will beat you into the ground. The man never quits.
DEMolishedyou
Posted 2/27/2007 4:59 PM (#241899 - in reply to #241319)

I once heard that some guides would charge you for their lure if you lost it, does anyone do that?
sworrall
Posted 2/27/2007 6:51 PM (#241919 - in reply to #241899)

I'd charge you for sure, but probably not anyone else.....

Kidding, no. I don't, and don't know anyone who does.
nwild
Posted 2/28/2007 8:39 AM (#241994 - in reply to #241919)

I am more likely to give a person a bait they caught a fish on than charge them for one they lost.

Coolest tip I ever received came to me via the mail the week after a trip. The client wrote a letter thanking me for the trip, and included a gift certificate to Gander Mountain. It made my day to think someone thought enough of their trip to take time out of their day to write a letter and purchase a gift certificate. Way cooler than a handful of cash!

Tips are not expected, appreciated, but not expected.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/28/2007 9:29 AM (#242008 - in reply to #241319)

Tips?Never expected , but GREATLY appreciated.In my boat, if someone catches their 1st, or largest, they get the bait to keep.Man, I gave away A LOT of XX's this season.Color? 8 of the 15 were the same color with a dash of a little somethin' somethin'. Steve

Edited by Steve Jonesi 2/28/2007 9:32 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Fish pics 028.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fish pics 028.jpg (136KB - 143 downloads)
sorenson
Posted 2/28/2007 12:13 PM (#242049 - in reply to #241319)

First and largest...
I think I know that color!
S.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/28/2007 7:34 PM (#242153 - in reply to #241720)

After reading all this I can't believe no one mentioned the friendships that are started from a guide trip. I can't even count all the friends that I have from guide trips. That alone is a great tip that is priceless.

As for the money part, I believe people tip to let the guide know how much they enjoyed the outing. Most tips for a 1/2 day @ $150 will be $50 or more on the average. Some clients believe the price is too low and will tip to compensate. Others will tip a twenty or two because that is a lot of cash for them. All people are not equal. A tip is a tip, the size of the tip is less important to me than the feeling I get when they express their grattiude or pleasure the trip gave them.
The best feeling is knowing you did your job better than they expected. Thats when you know your on top of the game.

Being a teacher rather than a guide working a boat is very important. The client wants to learn and come away from that trip with way more than they went out with. Teaching comes first, catching is just a bonus.

I read somewhere a few posts back: "The biggest tips have come when we got skunked." I believe they got lots of great info that they can use when the fish are hitting. They tipped big because they know they were schooled and not taken for a boat ride.

When I hire a guide I tip big when the guide does his job. Works hard, explaines in detail what we are doing and why, shows me the map, graph, baits, etc. Everything is open book and on the table. Thats when I know he is doing the best he can do, not if we catch a fish or not.

Bottom line, tip big if you believe you got the most out of your guide. Most guides have a "A" list, it's nice to be on that list if you like that guide and what he does for you. Friendships get you on the "A" ist also, it's not all about the money.
Posted 3/1/2007 12:24 AM (#242206 - in reply to #241319)

From reading the posts, in a round about way guides do eexpect tips!!!!!
sworrall
Posted 3/1/2007 8:13 AM (#242235 - in reply to #242206)

There isn't a 'roundabout way' in the meaning of the term 'expect'. Guides RECEIVE tips, but do not expect one in the manner a waitress might.

I fail to see a problem with that.