high contrast
John Peterson
Posted 2/22/2007 11:43 AM (#240817)
Subject: high contrast

Hi. Any of you guys experament with crank baits painted with two diffrant patterns on either side.
chico
Posted 2/22/2007 1:03 PM (#240823 - in reply to #240817)
Subject: Re: high contrast

yes, glide baits too. After extensive tests the results were totally inconclusive. The only thing that could be said was it was interesting doing it.
woodieb8
Posted 2/22/2007 5:36 PM (#240886 - in reply to #240817)

was a hot topic a few years back. nobody seemed to set the world on fire. guess fish only see one side at a time eh.
nutty4muskies
Posted 2/24/2007 12:45 PM (#241208 - in reply to #240886)

Yeah, but it makes a little sense. Fish have darker backs, and lighter colored bellies. Reversing this pattern makes them stand out a little more. One of my favorite tricks when minnow fishing (sorry, other species, this wouldn't work for muskies!! LOL) is to hook the minnow upside down...

Even with the live bait, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Wish there was a guaranteed everytime technique that always worked (other than the DuPont Advantage...light the fuse, and throw it FAR away from your boat QUICKLY...this does tend to attract the interest of law enforcement, game wardens, and Homeland Security...'sides that, dynamite has gotten exhorbitant in price, even on the black market!)

Odyssey Lures had a 'Black Ghost' pattern that was like this, with the lighter colored back, and darker belly...one of the biggest muskies I've had a client hook ate this one at the boat after not appearing during the figure-eight...the client stuck the rod under his arm, turned to tell me he was ready to quit (it was the end of a long and previously unproductive day) only to watch in amazement as a head the size of a five-gallon bucket came up and grabbed the bait some 10 inches above the water!!) Long story--the fish gator-rolled in the line, and broke off.

The next spring, one of my buddies found the bait...mentioned he'd found a Odyssey Pig...I described it to him, down to the detail that my client's initials and the lure's depth range were in black magic marker on the top of the tail of the bait. Got the bait back! Wish it'd had the fish attached, but that would have been unbelievable.

Al Nutty

Kinkaid Lake Guide Service

Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!!!
cjrich
Posted 2/24/2007 6:01 PM (#241252 - in reply to #240817)

Drifter/Musky Mania Tackle offers such lures on their website. One can order what they call "contrasting patterns" (they painted a Believe in the Jailbird pattern -- the black-on-yellow stripes were painted as opposites on each side), and I also had them make up a Jake with completely different patterns on each side; one side was orange with black dots and the opposite side was simply painted black.

I have not really worked each bait enough to know if the alternative features on each bait made a substantial difference in attracting more fish.

Craig

Edited by cjrich 2/24/2007 6:07 PM