New Boats
Pepper
Posted 2/18/2007 10:40 PM (#239861)
Subject: New Boats

I'm looking to up grade and need help finding a Honda dealer that also sells Crestliners. If you know of one send me a PM or e-mail. Looking for a 1850 Crestliner with a 150 HP Honda or a Pro-V with the same motor. Can't afford new so I am looking for one a couple years old.
MikeHulbert
Posted 2/19/2007 12:31 PM (#240010 - in reply to #239861)
Subject: Re: New Boats

I know you said 1850, but here is a 1750...

2003 1750 Fishhawk sc
2003 1750Fishhawk sc 90 yamaha 4st, cover, shoreland'r roller trailer, full warranty applies, color green, optional trolling motor graph packaging, $13,999.00
Date: June 09, 2004
Seller Name: sean
Email Seller
Phone: 2182334489

or

http://www.fishingworld.com/vDealers/MO/SportsUnlimited/Details.tmp...

cjrich
Posted 2/19/2007 4:32 PM (#240074 - in reply to #239861)

Pepper,
The Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 is a serious rig. I have a 2005 with a 115HP Merc. Optimax and absolutely love the boat. Rides like a dream and cuts through waves and whitecaps like a knife through butter. The price for Sean's boat as stated in Mike's post seems like a fair price. Always inquire as to how many hours are on the main motor.

Good luck. Getting another boat is always a very exciting time.

Craig
Muskie Treats
Posted 2/19/2007 4:43 PM (#240076 - in reply to #239861)

Dude, you'll like the ride in the 1750 better then the 1850. I remember riding in Steve C rig and I don't think my back is back to normal yet. They're a rough riding SOB. Wide+light+flat bottom=rough ride.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/19/2007 4:52 PM (#240079 - in reply to #239861)
Subject: RE: New Boats

I would highly suggest if you can get yourself in a Pro-V to go that route. Much better built and can handle rough water like a dream compared to a Crestliner.

Also, it may get a bit harder to find these two boats with a Honda on them. Brunswick Corp. now owns Crestliner, Lund and they also own Mercury outboards, so you will no longer see dealers putting anything but Mercury on them. Just for your info.

Edited by Merckid 2/19/2007 4:55 PM
muskym
Posted 2/19/2007 5:28 PM (#240093 - in reply to #240079)

Lunds are readily available with Mercs or Hondas.You can order them pre-rigged for either engine though i am partial to Mercs myself.I have an Optimax on my Lund Tyee 1950 and it really moves that boat.Lund's twin plated IPS hulls are much more solid than any other aluminum boat and you will feel the difference in quality the first time you drive one.
bmaxey
Posted 2/20/2007 12:08 PM (#240302 - in reply to #239861)

I'd like to know how you think the lund is a much better build than the crestliner?
last time i check a weld is stronger than a rivet. Might ride better but not built better.
sworrall
Posted 2/20/2007 12:31 PM (#240310 - in reply to #240302)

The key here is the Lund and Crestliner are built differently. Has one been proven tougher than the other? I cover dozens of Walleye events a year, and see all the brands under the most severe use possible. Both boats hold up very well. Does one ride better than the other? I bet that will depend on conditions and the driver. The rest comes down to personal preference.
Magnummusky
Posted 2/20/2007 12:38 PM (#240313 - in reply to #240310)

I have owned both a Lund Pro-V and a 1850 fishawk for the money I would go Crestliner to me it is a superior layout for muskie fishing. I live in Wisconsin and do not venture out to big water that often if I did I would maybe lean towards the Lund. There are still dealers that will put other power on Crestliners and Lunds although they will push Mercury's as of last year I could still get either with a Yamaha if I chose too. And Brunswick has had Crestliner and Lund for 2 or 3 years if my memory serve correct.
muskym
Posted 2/20/2007 12:41 PM (#240315 - in reply to #240302)

There's a reason Lunds double riveted seams and floors are guaranteed for life and i don't believe it's because of inferior constuction.On their newer boats this guarantee is also transferable if you sell the boat. Who else has twin plated hulls in aluminum? The better ride is also a byproduct of a better built hull design.
VMS
Posted 2/21/2007 12:05 PM (#240592 - in reply to #240315)

Alumacraft had the 2xb hull system before lund.

I have nothing against any of the boats mentioned...they all are great rigs and you get so many options to choose from.

You can consider some of the "selling points" of all brands are just that...selling points to try and dissuade you from one and lead you to another. Example: Lund's double riveted seams. Tested to withstand 40,000 pounds before they break. Alumacraft has single welds tested to 25,000 pounds. Honestly...you think you can put 25,000 pounds of force on any seam?

Welds VS rivets: Both ways on this... it can be argued that welds do not expand or contract well, thus cracking could be an issue. rivets can leak, but the idea of rivets overall is the allowance of contraction and expansion due to water and weather temps. Rivets allow some movement without cracking.

Worrall hit the nail on the head...much of what you see out there in terms of durability is dependent on the driver at the helm. Those who beat the heck out of their boats learn real quick what holds up and does not and choose accordingly based upon their experiences.

Any boat you choose will do really well if you take care of it, be easy on it in rough conditions, etc...and it will last you a lifetime. It's all about personal preference in what you want for features in the boat.

Steve
CowgirlAddict
Posted 2/21/2007 3:12 PM (#240626 - in reply to #240079)

Merckid - 2/19/2007 4:52 PM

Also, it may get a bit harder to find these two boats with a Honda on them. Brunswick Corp. now owns Crestliner, Lund and they also own Mercury outboards, so you will no longer see dealers putting anything but Mercury on them. Just for your info.

I went and priced out a 2007 Lund at the dealer and he said it didnt matter to them what motor was put on it, so i priced it with a Yamaha he did how ever say it would be about 100 bucks cheaper with a Mercury.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/21/2007 6:21 PM (#240663 - in reply to #239861)

I'm not saying you can't get any of the Brunswick boats without Mercs but what I am saying is that initially, that was how it was going to be, Brunswick boats with a Brunswick owned motor which is Mercury. They may have changed that idea but I have not heard of anything. I do know however, there are a couple guys on the Professional Walleye Trail switching from a Brunswick boat to another boat because they wouldn't put a Evinrude or another brand of motor on it. Scott Fairbairn and Rick Olson I believe are two guys having to do so. They are both sponsored by Evinrude and I had heard that Mr. Fairbairn would be running a Ranger if I heard correctly. But all I was inferring to was that Brunswick was pushing for Mercs to be put on any Brunswick boat.

Side note: Not trying to stir anything here, this was all first hand info. Another thing, any of you notice that in the new 2007 Lund boat brochure, ALL boats have a Mercury on the back of them? Just thought I would throw that observation out there. However I do not know about the Crestliner brochure. But again, things may have changed to allow other motor brands to be put on Brunswick boats.

Edited by Merckid 2/21/2007 6:23 PM
Griz619
Posted 2/21/2007 6:58 PM (#240682 - in reply to #239861)

When I Priced out a Lund 2010 Pro Guide the dealer, Who sold Yamaha's primarily said It would only be available with a Merc. So i'm still looking for a 20' Tiller.

Pete
muskym
Posted 2/22/2007 7:19 AM (#240755 - in reply to #240682)

You can order a boat without an engine and put whatever you want on it later.This should be even easier on a tiller boat since you don't have to worry about most of the pre-rigging.
boat buyer
Posted 3/6/2007 10:58 PM (#243270 - in reply to #239861)

I tried to buy a Brunswick Corp boat (Princecraft) this year with an Evinrude E-Tec and it couldn't be done. They will only put a Merc on their boats. They wouldn't even sell me a boat without a motor because they leave the factory pre-rigged with Mercs. They wouldn't take my money unless I paid for a Mercury outboard on the boat. I find it very frustrating that I can't buy the boat I want with the outboard I want.
sworrall
Posted 3/6/2007 11:07 PM (#243272 - in reply to #239861)

Brunswick bought those companies to own the transoms. That's the way it is!
Shep
Posted 3/7/2007 8:30 AM (#243315 - in reply to #243272)

WHat's the big deal? So Brunswick makes it easier to buy a boat with a Merc on it, than another motor. I never hear anyone complaining that you can only get a G3 with a Yamaha, or a Skeeter is cheaper with a Yamaha.

You don't go to Ford, and aske for a GM motor, do you? Do you not buy a Dodge, because you can't get the Powerstroke Diesel?

The fact is that they all make good motors these days. You are best off buying your new boat and motor from a dealer you can trust, and have confidence he will take care of you. If you like a Crestliner, and it is cheaper with the Mercs, I say go for it. If you like the G3, go for that with the Yammy's. It's not Brunswick's fault that BRP doesn't own any boat companys. YET.