Transducer Attatchment
Fisher
Posted 2/15/2007 2:38 PM (#239020)
Subject: Transducer Attatchment

With those of you that have a Minnkota PD bow mount, when mounting the trandsucer to the motor, how do you run the cord? You cant attatch it to the shaft can you?? It needs to slide. What do you do?
Thanks
sworrall
Posted 2/15/2007 2:52 PM (#239023 - in reply to #239020)
Subject: RE: Transducer Attatchment

Tie strap it to the very top of the shaft and to the very bottom, leaving enough slack to run the motor up and down. Make sure to run the wire through the handle if that motor is equipped with one.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/15/2007 2:55 PM (#239024 - in reply to #239020)

What your going to have to do is, or at least how I have done it in the past or helped rigged friends boats is you run the cord up the shaft as far as you can to where the motor is still in the water. You want to use electrical tape to tape the cord to the shaft. Then you will have to leave the cord some what loose through the middle or the shaft, you will then want to tape somewhere else along the shaft so it's not flopping everywhere. You best bet is to just play around with it a little to figure out how it will work best for you. I've seen it done a couple different ways. You can also use zip ties also, they might allow you to move them up and down on the shaft a little so it's not so permenantly taped to the shaft. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.
Fisher
Posted 2/15/2007 6:21 PM (#239067 - in reply to #239020)

the bottom of the shaft comes all the way up when stowed, no room to attatch to the bottom of the shaft. If i attach it to the top of the shaft when i pull it up there will be about 5 feet of cord flopping around between the graph and the top of the motor, and when i put it down there will be about 5 feet of cord laying around between the top of the motor and the graph. Am i missing something, either way, up or down i will have several feet of cord that is loose.
Does anyone have some pics i could look at?
Thanks
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/15/2007 7:05 PM (#239075 - in reply to #239020)

Fisher,

Here is a few pics that I found that might help you. Notice that they zip tie the cord right where the head of the head and shaft meet on the bottom. And like Sworrall said, make sure you bring that cord through the handle so it can slide with it as you deploy the motor.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/15/2007 7:07 PM (#239077 - in reply to #239020)

Here you go, here is a pic of Slamr's old boat. This is a good pic to look at. Make sure you click on the pic, that way you can expand it and it will zoom in a little better for ya.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12...
lambeau
Posted 2/15/2007 8:12 PM (#239101 - in reply to #239020)

i know this is unhelpful to the current discussion on how to rig a MinnKota PD...but why in the world don't they leave a small space for a transducer wire? all that slack wire seems to be begging for it to get caught on something and ripped in half. isn't there a better way to rig it?
my Motorguide Digital has a small slot in the mounting bracket for the wire to run through - no slack line anywhere.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/15/2007 9:01 PM (#239116 - in reply to #239020)

Lambeau,

The PD that Fisher has must not have the universal sonar built in obviously, and so that means this trolling motor is not set up with a little wire sticking out like your's. Had this PD come with universal sonar then it would have a little wire coming out of the pedal so all you have to do is hook up to the pedal, and no wires in the way. So in other words, the trolling motor that you have is newer technology, the trolling motor that Fisher has may not be the newest thing, nothing against what you have Fisher, just trying to clarify for Lambeau. It also comes down to two totally different trolling motors with two different ways of deployment/stow. That is probably the biggest reason why it's not like your trolling motor Lambeau, if you were to compare your trolling motor to a Maxxum, then they will almost be identical in everything but the footpedal. Hope this helps, let me know if you need a better explaination.

Edited by Merckid 2/15/2007 9:07 PM
Fisher
Posted 2/16/2007 7:49 AM (#239176 - in reply to #239020)

Thanks for all the help, i will be mounting the graph and co-pilot this weekend. The boat came with the PD it is an 05 model, it will be the first time using the copilot, i am going to try it for this year and see if i like it, it might be hard to get away from the maxxum. I would have got the universal sonar if i had to purchase the motor. Thanks agian and for the pics too! This site is very helpfull.
Thanks
lambeau
Posted 2/16/2007 8:50 AM (#239186 - in reply to #239116)

the trolling motor that you have is newer technology, the trolling motor that Fisher has may not be the newest thing, nothing against what you have Fisher, just trying to clarify for Lambeau. It also comes down to two totally different trolling motors with two different ways of deployment/stow. That is probably the biggest reason why it's not like your trolling motor Lambeau, if you were to compare your trolling motor to a Maxxum, then they will almost be identical in everything but the footpedal. Hope this helps, let me know if you need a better explaination.

umm...nope.
mine does have a universal sonar, but i'm not using it - i use an external which requires me to run a wire up the side of my Motorguide's shaft. it's probably irrational, but i prefer to use the Lowrance transducer for the Lowrance unit.
mounting brackets are universal regardless of whether or not the TM itself has a sonar. "newer technology" in the transducer is not related to mount design. in the Motorguide Gator Mounts they provides a small (wire-sized) slot for your transducer wire to run through the bracket, meaning that your wire can be zip-tied tightly to the shaft along it's entire length leaving no slack.
my guess is that the MinnKota PD's sliding style mount precludes them from being able to do this as it'd rub along the wire every time it was deployed/raised? i prefer Motorguides (King Kong vs Godzilla) and the small attention to these details is one of the reasons.
it's not a technology issue, it's a mounting bracket design issue.
and although the Maxxum uses a similar scissors-style mount to the Motorguide Gator Mounts, i don't know whether or not they include a small slot for the transducer wire to go inside the bracket. do you? it doesn't look like it from the pics on their website, but it's hard to tell.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/16/2007 9:14 AM (#239198 - in reply to #239020)

Lambeau, I know exactly what your talking about. When I'm talking about new technology, I meant that if Fisher had an older PD then things may be a little different. Minn Kota changed the motor on the newer PD's within the last couple years so I was referring to an older Minn kota, prior to the ones you see now that are all black. Before that they were all black with a white head on top if you have any clue what I'm talking about. Any yes Lambeau, I know exactly what your talking about on your motor, as I mentioned in my earlier post, they are two different trolling motors in the way of deployment/stow. Things can't be hooked up the way they are on your motor compared to a PD/the MotorGuide Wireless, the trolling motor Slamr and Sworrall ran last season.

Oh, and on the Maxxum, there is no hole that I know of that you can run the wire from the bottom of the trolling motor to the head of the trolling motor. If you wanted to run a transducer like what you did Lambeau, you would have to zip tie the cable up the shaft and then you would have to run the wire on the outside of the mount. That way you can deploy/stow the motor. Minn Kota doesn't need to have a built in hole do to what your doing, nowadays most people are going with the univeral sonar and eliminating all cables that way, which if you ask me was one of the best innovations they could have done with a trolling motor!

Edited by Merckid 2/16/2007 9:20 AM
lambeau
Posted 2/16/2007 10:22 AM (#239216 - in reply to #239198)

When I'm talking about new technology...Minn Kota changed the motor on the newer PD's

a) his is actually a newer model, but didn't include universal sonar.
b) we've been talking about the mount, not the motor. how did the mount change?

Minn Kota doesn't need to have a built in hole do to what your doing, nowadays most people are going with the univeral sonar and eliminating all cables that way

a) it's not a MinnKota issue, Motorguides have a universal sonar option too.
b) "most" people? at an extra $100 (over 10% of the price on most models) for the universal sonar feature, i'm gonna bet they're still selling a whole bunch of trolling motors without that feature.
notably, less expensive Tracker boats (the #1 selling boat in the country) come standard with trolling motors that do not have universal sonar. they're Motorguides, but my point is simply that making small adjustments in mount design to better accomodate transducer wires just makes good sense because there are still lots of people out there who don't run universal sonars.
stephendawg
Posted 2/17/2007 12:07 PM (#239525 - in reply to #239020)

Here's my take on the slack cord issue. Notice. I ty-wraped my transducer wire from the head of the trolling motor and applied a slight twist to the wire as it followed the inside of the umbilical cord that goes to the base. If you look closely you will see a white ty-wrap at the top of every coil. It really cleans up the installation of the old style motors

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/photos/show-album.asp?albumid...

Edited by stephendawg 2/17/2007 12:12 PM
sputterbug
Posted 2/17/2007 2:10 PM (#239540 - in reply to #239020)
Subject: Re: Transducer Attatchment

Great work, Dawg. Thanks for bringing reason to bear.