54" proposal details
jazon
Posted 2/14/2007 7:22 AM (#238698)
Subject: 54" proposal details

Information and contact information is available on the Titletown Muskies Inc. website for the 54" proposal. Check it out at
http://www.titletownmuskiesinc.org

Jay
kap n jim
Posted 2/14/2007 8:03 AM (#238708 - in reply to #238698)
Subject: RE: 54" proposal details

Thanks for the info and link Jay. I informed Dennis to put me down as an author for Jefferson County. Lot's of blank lines to fill. I hope others are able to step up to the plate as well.....jim furley
dannyboy
Posted 2/14/2007 1:45 PM (#238791 - in reply to #238698)

im on for forest county

dannyboy
Posted 2/14/2007 2:12 PM (#238799 - in reply to #238698)

Is there any push to extend this size limit to the Lake Winnebago system?
muskie! nut
Posted 2/14/2007 2:14 PM (#238801 - in reply to #238698)

I would suggest that only counties that have an excellent chance of passage do this (Vilas, Onieda, & Forrest may not be good ones). It also a good idea to have a clear majority in the home county (Brown County?).

If the NRB sees some countys not in favor they may not take up the issue.

I know it will go well here in Dane County. jazon, I will talk to you in a couple of weeks at the WI Muskies Inc Chapter meeting about this issue. See you then.

Later
Gerard Hellenbrand
Sunfish
Posted 2/15/2007 7:52 PM (#239095 - in reply to #238801)

How can the average guy help with this proposal?
muskie! nut
Posted 2/15/2007 8:36 PM (#239108 - in reply to #238698)

Attend the hearings. Vote however you feel. If this question isn't on your resolution questions, there are several othe rquestion pertraining to muskies. Read the question and the reasons why, then vote. If you are a non-resident, near the WI border, go to the nearest county seat. Even non-resideents can vote (but not for delegates).

See you all April 16th, vote and be heard. Please note the date change, normally the 2nd Monday, but due to the election being so near it has been push back tothe 16th. More info at the DNR web site.
sworrall
Posted 2/18/2007 11:14 PM (#239873 - in reply to #239108)

Make sure you attend.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 3/23/2007 1:14 PM (#246843 - in reply to #238698)

Hey All,

Here's a brief update.

We are getting the final touches on the wording of the resolution with the help of the WDNR.

I will send e-mails to authors, or authors can e-mail or call me with full name, address, and phone number. We will make you a copy of the Resolution Letter with all you information at the bottom and send it to you, then you will just sign and submitt at your designated county meeting location on April 16th.

If you are not an author we still need you to attend and vote your support. There are some other important musky issues this spring that our combined support will be needed on including the "Season Extension South of HWY 10 to December 31st" and the rule change on an old net rule that makes the huge musky nets like the Frabill Big Kahuna "techincally illegal" to have in the boat.

We are just a little over 3 weeks away from the hearings....let's keep the ball rolling.

Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming degree of support and help!!!

Dennis

Shep
Posted 3/23/2007 1:45 PM (#246849 - in reply to #246843)

I'm authoring the resolution for Outagmaie County. Who is going to attend with me?

More important, what are you doing to help this year?
esoxaddict
Posted 3/23/2007 2:11 PM (#246858 - in reply to #238698)
Subject: Re: 54" proposal details

So wait, you don't have to be a resident to show up and vote? Does it matter which county you show up to represent?

Gerard -- I suspect there will be significant representation from the CCMI guys at the Dane county location, does that mean it would be better for guys like me to go somewhere else? What about Vilas? Wouldn't that be where we'd want the most support, since the Yahara chain already has a 45" size limit? Or am I not understanding some part of how this works?
Larry Ramsell
Posted 3/24/2007 6:44 AM (#246975 - in reply to #238698)

It is important that as many get to the meetings as possible. This was discussed at the State Musky Committee meeting in February. Following is the result:

"The proposed 54 inch size limit for Green Bay/Lake Michigan was discussed. There didn’t appear to be any real interest from the WDNR to fast track this through the Conservation Congress process. It was felt by non DNR people there that the musky clubs must carry the torch on this one."
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/7/2007 9:17 AM (#249428 - in reply to #238698)

Hey Everyone,

We're getting closer to the BIG DAY!!!!

What I need most right now is for all the authors to contact me via e-mail or phone with your full address and phone number so I can get a final copy of the resolution to you within the next few days.

Thanks to all the support and help from everyone on this!!!!!

Dennis

[email protected]
262-443-9993
Jomusky
Posted 4/7/2007 12:53 PM (#249464 - in reply to #249428)

Please see the link to Titletown for counties that are handled and those that need authoring.

Thank You Dennis for working on this! It is very important.

Edited by Jomusky 4/7/2007 12:58 PM
tomyv
Posted 4/7/2007 8:14 PM (#249553 - in reply to #249464)

This is seriously one of the coolest things. I live in PA, and wish we had a system where we could vote..........or even attend meetings where our voices could be heard. Take advantage, show up.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/7/2007 8:19 PM (#249554 - in reply to #238698)

tomyv,

Although it seems like the coolest things, in reality it is probably one of the worst management strategies, and the voting needs to go. It really ties the hands of local managers from doing what is right for the system based on their training/knowledge.

I dont doubt that the local biologist in GB is behind this effort and I hope it gets through. CAST a vote (wow thats lame)!
MuskieE
Posted 4/9/2007 6:22 PM (#249861 - in reply to #238698)

I had forwarded this on to a fellow club member to support the 54" size limit.This is the response I got back.Anybody have a answear for his questions and thoughts?

There is an advisory question on this year's spring hearing to make the Winnebago system 50 inches to match that of the Bay of Green Bay. They want the entire system to be a uniform 50 inches. If there is a resolution for 54 inches for the Bay of Green Bay, it should include the entire Winnebago sytem to include Lake Winnebago, Poygan, Winneconne, Butte des Morts, and the Fox and Wolf rivers.

I really have mixed feelings about increased size limits. Where I have the problem is releasing a fish that may be badly hurt and I know it will probably die. This happened when I was fishing with Skip Praefke about 6 years ago. He caught a 38 inch musky on Harris Lake and the hooks on the Suick ripped all the gills out on one side of the fish as well as one eye ball. I told Skip to keep the fish as it was legal, and clean it for his mother to eat, and that is what he did. The fish may have survived, but I really doubt it would have lived very long.

About 4 or 5 years ago, again on Harris Lake, I seen a guy catch a nice size musky. He netted it, put it in the bottom of his boat and motored to the landing which was at the opposite end of the lake. He then proceeded to spend about 4 or 5 minutes looking in his truck for something to measure the fish with. I measured it for him and it was 47 inches long. He then proceeded to release it and of course it floated to the top upside down. I took my shoes off an waded in the water and worked for close to 30 minutes with him to revive the fish, but could not get it to come around. He said to just leave it as it might come around on its own and that he was going back out fishing for another musky. I told him that because of the way he handled the fish it died, and he would have to call it a kept fish and have to quit fishing. He said that he could not do that because his musky club practiced total catch and release. That pissed me off so I told him that I would call the game warden and report him if he did not call it a kept fish and quit fishing. He took the fish, put it in his boat, loaded the boat on the trailer and left.

I was fishing with Dave Kuen on the French a number of years ago and he hooked a musky on a bucktail. The fish cleared the water by a couple feet and died right there. It did not fight and he reeled it in to the boat. We tried to revive it, but could not do it. He did not need to keep the fish as he already had a bigger one on the wall. It was 48 iches long, which was legal for that part of the system that year. When we got back to the resort, another guy had just got back about an hour before we did and the same thing happened to him with a 50 incher. Neigher fish was hooked bad and we were really concerned about what was happening. We had never seen anything like this and I have never witnessed it since. If there was a 54 inche size limit, both fish would have had to be released to sink to the bottom or be for the sea gulls and eagles.

I know that there will always be people that will use the excuse that the fish might not make it to keep a big fish. I also know that walleye fishermen and others might keep any musky that is legal, but there is a lot less of this going on than there used to be. I have no desire to ever keep another musky no matter how big it is, but will never fault someone if they decide to keep one. I have unforntunately seen some very poor handling of fish that I feel may have led to the fish eventually dying.

I would rather see a musky tag system that would entitle a person to keep one musky a year and charge $10.00 just like a trout stamp. The money raised from the stamp would be set aside for musky stocking, research, habitat improvements, and promoting proper catch and release. I don't know if a musky stamp would encourage people to keep fish rather than release them because they have a stamp or not. I would purchase a stamp just to contribute to musky propagation and I would use it if I ever had a fish that I could not revive. I personally have only had around 3 or 4 muskies myself that fit that category in around 35 years of musky fishing, but I would use the stamp to keep a fish if I felt that strongly that it would not make it.

When I go to Canada, I purchase the license that allows me to keep a musky instead of the Conservation license that does not allow me to keep a musky. The reason I do this is because the extra money that I spend to purchase the other license is used for musky propagation, where as the Conservation license does not do that. I spend the extra money for the other license to help give additional funding for musky propagation, not to keep a musky. If I every had a problem like Dave Kuen had, I would use it to keep a musky. I have never needed to do that as I have always been able to release them sucessfully.

I know this is a long response to a simple question, but I wanted to explain my feelings on this issue. I support catch and release and would support the 54 inch size limit even though I have mixed feeling on it. I think Dave or someone else may be better suited to draft a resolution for this rather than me. Maybe your dad could do this if Dave does not want to. Regardless, I think we need to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of increased size limits and what size really makes sense, should musky fishing be made catch and release only and not have a size limit, should there be a musky tag system, what can be done to improve the handling of fish to improve their chance of survival when released, should we give the DNR the option to close the season on muskies if the water temperatures get too high during the month of August for example to reduce delayed mortality, as well as other related issues like this?

Mr Musky
Posted 4/9/2007 7:28 PM (#249871 - in reply to #238698)

Muskie E, You have some great ideas in your post but the truth of matter is on this system there is too many fish getting clunked at the 50 inch size mark. We need the 54 inch size limit so these giants can reach their full potential, it's a shame with all the funding and research and developement that went into this project that the fish are getting harvested. These fish are bigger and fatter then most people have ever seen before! And they were pretty darn easy to catch as everybody was well aware of! So without a doubt a 54 inch size limit without question needs to be in place asap!

Now I also agree with your story and someone being able to keep their fish if it suddenly died and most of the lakes up in the rest of the state have the proper size limit's or are getting closer to reaching the size limit needed that certain body of water. I also agree that the 54 inch size limit should go right up on through the chain. Same fish being planted lets see the potential, we all know the food source is there! I also agree that there should be a musky stamp since we need more funds for musky programs/research/stocking and it would eliminate alot of fish from being harvested that might have been otherwise because a stamp was needed. I dont like the ten dollar tag idea because I believe that would encourage harvest for some, not others. Alot of times people feel the need to fill a tag once money is spent on a tag. I think the stamp alone would raise enough funds to really help out. And last but not least, Canada fishing is what it is today on LOTW,EAGLE,LAC SEUL, because there was a 54 inch size limit put in place! So when somebody does catch a 50 it's not even a question.

Mr Musky
muskie! nut
Posted 4/9/2007 8:18 PM (#249878 - in reply to #249871)

For those that can't attend or are from out of state, you can comment on any of the issues that are before the CC Hearings.

The person you need to contact is Kurt Thiede as he is the CC liaison.
Phone is: 608-266-0580 (Desk)

[email protected]

Please be polite and to the point and leave your full name and address at the end of your message.

Thanks
Gerard
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/10/2007 11:29 AM (#249965 - in reply to #238698)

I have managed to get copies of the final resolution to most of the authors for thier county with name and address on it so all they need to do is sign and propose.

There are a few people who volunteered to author for a county and I only had a phone number for them, which is on a list that I cannot find in my pile of "stuff" here.

These are the authors I need to get in touch with ASAP to get their info so I can get them a coy of the resoulution for next Monday. If you are out there, or anyone who knows any of these folks, please call me...or even better....e-mail me with contact info.

Roger Olsen - Douglas Co.
Rolly Squire - Iowa Co.
Jason Coss - Kewaunee Co.
Dave Wineburner - Marinette Co.
Dale Vercauteren - Oconto Co.
Jim Stewart - Onieda Co.
Curt Fleener - Shawno Co.
Don Janke - Washington Co.

Thanks,

Dennis
[email protected]
262-443-9993
Chibigboy
Posted 4/10/2007 4:35 PM (#250020 - in reply to #249861)

I like the idea of the Muskie Stamp. It makes sense and is a good solution. Not to mention just one more thing I can pay for to go fishing.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/11/2007 11:56 AM (#250157 - in reply to #238698)

Thanks for the help on contact info...I have tracked almost everyone down.
The only person I do not have contact info for is Jason Coss for Kewaunee County.

If there is anyone out there who can author for Kewaunee County and attend the hearings next Monday, and would like to do this please contact me ASAP via e-mail.

Thanks everyone!!!!

[email protected]
262-443-9993

Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/11/2007 1:17 PM (#250168 - in reply to #238698)

IF THERE IS ANYONE WILLING & ABLE TO ATTEND NEXT MONDAY TO AUTHOR FOR KEWAUNEE COUNTY PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP.

Thanks everyone!!!!

[email protected]
262-443-9993
dannyboy
Posted 4/11/2007 2:34 PM (#250188 - in reply to #238698)

dennis did you get dave wineburner in marinette county?

dannyboy

[email protected]
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/11/2007 2:42 PM (#250191 - in reply to #238698)

Yes....Thanks.

I have reached everyone.

We still need someone for Kewuanee County though.

You don't need to be a resident of that county....if you live near-by and want to submit this at Kewaunee Count let me know and I will set you up.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and support.

Dennis