10" Weagles...
Big Perc
Posted 2/6/2007 9:54 AM (#236710)
Subject: 10" Weagles...

For those of you that may have purchased a 10" weagle...did yours come with the short shanked hooks like are on the original weagles or where they the long shanked hooks like you would find on a Reef Hawg or Suick out of the package for example...mine are the long shanked hooks 5/0 I believe...just curious if they are suppose to have these hooks or it I should upgrade the hooks that are heavier duty short shanked hook...my dad has some mustad 5X short shanks from Cabelas that look like they could tow a car without bending and they are obviously heavier...I will post a picture of them compared to some other hooks tonight when I get home...

Big Perc

Edited by Big Perc 2/6/2007 9:58 AM
BALDY
Posted 2/6/2007 10:07 AM (#236718 - in reply to #236710)
Subject: RE: 10" Weagles...

Big Perc - 2/6/2007 9:54 AM

For those of you that may have purchased a 10" weagle...did yours come with the short shanked hooks like are on the original weagles or where they the long shanked hooks like you would find on a Reef Hawg or Suick out of the package for example...mine are the long shanked hooks 5/0 I believe...just curious if they are suppose to have these hooks or it I should upgrade the hooks that are heavier duty short shanked hook...my dad has some mustad 5X short shanks from Cabelas that look like they could tow a car without bending and they are obviously heavier...I will post a picture of them compared to some other hooks tonight when I get home...

Big Perc

The 10 inch Weagles have 6/0 Mustad 3551's on them. These are the hooks I settled on after toying with a few different kinds this season.

It was the best hook I could find, as I was not satisfied with any of the short shank hooks in a size I felt was big enough for those baits. I dont like real heavy hooks like the 5X you are talking about. I dont think they penetrate very well.
lambeau
Posted 2/6/2007 10:10 AM (#236719 - in reply to #236710)

you're free to switch them for any hooks that you prefer, of course, but keep in mind that these are the hooks that are the right weight for the action of the lure; they are quality hooks and were run on the prototypes last summer where they hooked and held fish quite nicely.
Big Perc
Posted 2/6/2007 10:44 AM (#236725 - in reply to #236710)

Don't get me wrong...I am not down playing any aspect of weagles...it was just a question...I love everything about weagles and support Luke in everything he does with Muskie Mojo...these baits are incredible...I was just thinking out loud...

Big Perc
BALDY
Posted 2/6/2007 11:12 AM (#236733 - in reply to #236725)

Big Perc - 2/6/2007 10:44 AM

Don't get me wrong...I am not down playing any aspect of weagles...it was just a question...I love everything about weagles and support Luke in everything he does with Muskie Mojo...these baits are incredible...I was just thinking out loud...

Big Perc

Didnt think you were man. Just giving you the info on how the bait came to have those hooks on it.

FYI...based on the response in Chicago, I have expanded the run and will have another 40 10 inchers in Milwaukee this weekend.

Edited by BALDY 2/6/2007 11:29 AM
AWH
Posted 2/6/2007 1:06 PM (#236769 - in reply to #236710)

Oh man, get there early. Could be a mad rush at the Mojo booth!!!!

Aaron
Big Perc
Posted 2/7/2007 9:24 AM (#236916 - in reply to #236710)

So I changed the hooks on my mine last night to the Mustad 35929 6/0 Musky Treble...not a good idea...first off the hooks are so freaking thick that I ruined all the wolverine spilt rings...secondly they don't sit right when I "T'd" them cause they are so freaking heavy...so I was looking on Rollie and Helen's site and noticed they had the Musky Innovations wide gap hooks available...wondering what anybody thought about those hooks and what size might work on the 10" weagle...obviously 8/0 is too big but I was thinking more like the 6/0...also what size split rings are on the 10"er...I need to replace mine...

Big Perc
BALDY
Posted 2/7/2007 9:39 AM (#236918 - in reply to #236916)

Big Perc - 2/7/2007 9:24 AM

So I changed the hooks on my mine last night to the Mustad 35929 6/0 Musky Treble...not a good idea...first off the hooks are so freaking thick that I ruined all the wolverine spilt rings...secondly they don't sit right when I "T'd" them cause they are so freaking heavy...so I was looking on Rollie and Helen's site and noticed they had the Musky Innovations wide gap hooks available...wondering what anybody thought about those hooks and what size might work on the 10" weagle...obviously 8/0 is too big but I was thinking more like the 6/0...also what size split rings are on the 10"er...I need to replace mine...

Big Perc

That MI hook was one that Jonesi tried on some of the 10 inchers I made for him this year. I suggest against using that hook on anything.

Split rings...use whatever you want, but the ones on there from me are number 6 or 7 Wolverine.

Perc, I realize guys like playing with hooks and such on baits, but I would suggest giving those Mustads a chance before you switch them out. It's a good hook

Edited by BALDY 2/7/2007 10:42 AM
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 2/7/2007 11:35 AM (#236946 - in reply to #236710)

I do find it funny how many anglers arent happy with most baits as they come "out of the box". They feel an irresistable need to tinker before they even get the bait wet for the first time. They dont understand that a considerable amount of time has gone into the design and testing of baits prior to consumer sales. I do understand ones "customizing" practice for baits that have been on the market for at least some time and you already know that bait's nuances (sp?) and have already made your adjustments. The only thing I do to any "new" bait before I throw it for the first time is sharpen the hooks. Then throw the bait a while and let it then tell me what if anything needs to be changed. I guess that is the nature of many muskie nuts though.
Karl

No offense meant here toward anyone I just like the way that muskie anglers analyse and tinker with their equipment from baits to boats. I'd like to see how some of us use our intuitiveness applied in our career fields and how it sets us appart from the others we work with......espeecially walleye guys

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 2/7/2007 3:01 PM